Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Under the radar signings

Post by Rugbygramps »

Tiglon wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:05 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:01 pm
Tiglon wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:59 pm

I think Hegarty is a useful squad player, I'm not sure he'll ever stand out. Saumaki could still become very good.
And all squads need those nuts and bolts type players, I think he has done just what has been asked of him
I assume at some point he's been asked to make a few more than 58% of attempted tackles, but I know what you mean and yeah he's done ok. I'm not sure it would be easy to find a better option who is comparatively priced, equally versatile and happy being 2nd/3rd choice.
Obviously take your point but I was meaning in general I feel he has been a good squad acquisition
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:07 pm
Tiglon wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:05 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:01 pm
And all squads need those nuts and bolts type players, I think he has done just what has been asked of him
I assume at some point he's been asked to make a few more than 58% of attempted tackles, but I know what you mean and yeah he's done ok. I'm not sure it would be easy to find a better option who is comparatively priced, equally versatile and happy being 2nd/3rd choice.
Obviously take your point but I was meaning in general I feel he has been a good squad acquisition
I think we are in agreement on that :smt023
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

When you think about it Ellis Genge was signed as a 21 year old 4th/5th choice Bristol LH.
When he first came on loan no one had really heard of him.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:38 pm When you think about it Ellis Genge was signed as a 21 year old 4th/5th choice Bristol LH.
When you look at it, this was a heck of a punt by Cockers I think. 4th or 5th choice, problems on and off the paddock. Enormous credit goes to everyone involved not least Ellis
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:47 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:38 pm When you think about it Ellis Genge was signed as a 21 year old 4th/5th choice Bristol LH.
When you look at it, this was a heck of a punt by Cockers I think. 4th or 5th choice, problems on and off the paddock. Enormous credit goes to everyone involved not least Ellis
He had looked a beast for England age grade it was a punt to get him but very much the type of punt we are taking now on former age grade players like Dolly and Hurd. Circumstances are a bit different in each case but it's a sensible option.
LekkerTigers

Post by LekkerTigers »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:59 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:47 pm
He had looked a beast for England age grade it was a punt to get him but very much the type of punt we are taking now on former age grade players like Dolly and Hurd. Circumstances are a bit different in each case but it's a sensible option.
Absolutely right. Genge was exceptional at age grade rugby and I remember thinking it would be nice to have a prop like him at Leicester.
chappie
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by chappie »

I would add Nial Morris to the list along with Jonny Murphy and Eric Miller.
Franck Tournaire Number 1 fan.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

What about SB?
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Old Hob wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:41 pm What about SB?
He was hardly unheard of :smt023
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

He was as head coach, only a forwards coach.

Just a thought.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Tiglon wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:45 pm Credit to those players as well as the coaching staff - yes the coaches have done brilliant work but all of those players mentioned are where they are because of their own incredible work ethic, commitment and attitude.

Jansen is definitely one with potential to be part of that group IMO.

Harry Wells when he rejoined from Bedford?

I don't think Scott had a long queue of suitors when he joined, but he has been exceptional and I'd be more than happy and confident to have him starting against Leinster, which is quite a big compliment.
I may have been dreaming but didn't Neil Back say that Jansen was the most exciting back rower since Kromfeld?
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Chobbsy wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:44 am
Tiglon wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:45 pm Credit to those players as well as the coaching staff - yes the coaches have done brilliant work but all of those players mentioned are where they are because of their own incredible work ethic, commitment and attitude.

Jansen is definitely one with potential to be part of that group IMO.

Harry Wells when he rejoined from Bedford?

I don't think Scott had a long queue of suitors when he joined, but he has been exceptional and I'd be more than happy and confident to have him starting against Leinster, which is quite a big compliment.
I may have been dreaming but didn't Neil Back say that Jansen was the most exciting back rower since Kromfeld?
Not seen that Chobbsy but you could be right. Apparently can play right across the back row, for me he is just one of those players that look right.
Talking of Kronfeld there was a something on YouTube about Dan Carter taking on a kicking record and Kronfeld was giving him some physio.
Remarkable player, my abiding memory of him is watching him jog down the field to a line out, putting his dislocated shoulder back in place while he did it. Now he was as hard as nails
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Honestly Eli Snyman also for me.
Didn’t come with much fanfare if any.

But every game he’s been impressive for me not a traditional big guy lock but imo our best carrying lock.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:29 am Honestly Eli Snyman also for me.
Didn’t come with much fanfare if any.

But every game he’s been impressive for me not a traditional big guy lock but imo our best carrying lock.
Certainly come into his own last few weeks, you would almost say that he and Chessum could be our best pairing at present
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:06 pm Longer back Geoff Parling, Ben Herring, Marcus Ayerza & arguably Ellis Genge.
Austin Healey and Ben Kay!