Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Under the radar signings

Post by DeadlyDunc »

Agree with much of the above.

I wonder if we have kept on good terms with Paddy Howard and Rob Taylor since Geordie left as you would assume that there are more Potters and Porters in Australia and given how well P&P are doing at Tigers it should appeal to anyone out there.

Finding these little niche pockets is key as everyone is all over SA - hopefully Nemani will speak highly of Tigers to the Pacific Islanders and we’ll get a few more as a result of his time here too.
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

In my mind great coaches identify, improve and develop players. Immense coaches give the players a framework and the inspiration to own their development and those of fellow team mates, and a vision to inspire them to feel part of something bigger. All born from a mutual respect.

Quite the opposite than before when we had underforming superstars and squad players who were simply not up to Prem standard, or to be devils advocate perhaps not coached up to Prem standards? I remember this forum in those dark times when we were mulling, usually angrily. why our star studded back line where getting trounced by teams with what we perceived as “average” players. And the ultimate answer, which didn’t work, was to effectively sack 18 (I think) of them in one season. It would be interesting to have seen how those so called “journeymen” would have reacted to a Borths coached squad. My view is though some of them would still have been given their P45 others would now be the core of his team and pushing International selection! Imagine a Borths, Aled and Kev coached Manu a few seasons ago!!! Conversely, I’m sorry to say but would Weise be the breakout he is under MOC or Murphs? Would Potter be tearing up the prem or one of those fringe squad players a poor coach never has the confidence to give a shot? Though to be fair I have no doubt once in a generation talents such as Steward would still have risen to the top.

What I find brilliant is that the improvement seems to be common to all players regardless of experience and status. Genge was always great but now he’s world class and still improving. Weise was powerful but his discipline and technique have both improved to a degree that he’s now at the heart of the Springboks. Tommy was good at the breakdown in the prem, now it’s obvious to anyone except the guardians of Welsh rugby that he’s a world class scavenger who would be an upgrade to the Welsh team. But for me the proof is in what others would call the “core” or “heart” of the squad. Players like Green and Wells are the type of players every rugby team needs and both have improved and probably a more accurate Bellweather..

When you think about it, it really is quite inspiring isn’t it?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Imagine a Borths coached Opeti Fanua!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:46 pm Imagine a Borths coached Opeti Fanua!
Need some Aled time first :smt002

I reckon Lachlan McCaffrey would have done well under the current coaches, he did well enough in the 'darker times' IMO of course.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Now if ever there was one who got away😬
Tykger

Post by Tykger »

aslongaswebeatsaints wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:44 pm In my mind great coaches identify, improve and develop players. Immense coaches give the players a framework and the inspiration to own their development and those of fellow team mates, and a vision to inspire them to feel part of something bigger. All born from a mutual respect.

Quite the opposite than before when we had underforming superstars and squad players who were simply not up to Prem standard, or to be devils advocate perhaps not coached up to Prem standards? I remember this forum in those dark times when we were mulling, usually angrily. why our star studded back line where getting trounced by teams with what we perceived as “average” players. And the ultimate answer, which didn’t work, was to effectively sack 18 (I think) of them in one season. It would be interesting to have seen how those so called “journeymen” would have reacted to a Borths coached squad. My view is though some of them would still have been given their P45 others would now be the core of his team and pushing International selection! Imagine a Borths, Aled and Kev coached Manu a few seasons ago!!! Conversely, I’m sorry to say but would Weise be the breakout he is under MOC or Murphs? Would Potter be tearing up the prem or one of those fringe squad players a poor coach never has the confidence to give a shot? Though to be fair I have no doubt once in a generation talents such as Steward would still have risen to the top.

What I find brilliant is that the improvement seems to be common to all players regardless of experience and status. Genge was always great but now he’s world class and still improving. Weise was powerful but his discipline and technique have both improved to a degree that he’s now at the heart of the Springboks. Tommy was good at the breakdown in the prem, now it’s obvious to anyone except the guardians of Welsh rugby that he’s a world class scavenger who would be an upgrade to the Welsh team. But for me the proof is in what others would call the “core” or “heart” of the squad. Players like Green and Wells are the type of players every rugby team needs and both have improved and probably a more accurate Bellweather..

A mighty fine post !
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:50 pm

I reckon Lachlan McCaffrey would have done well under the current coaches, he did well enough in the 'darker times' IMO of course.
Good shout on Lachie,was our glue at times
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I have never been convinced by Reffell all round game, yes there areas where he is superb but others where he was lacking. He is now really benefiting from top class coaching and those weaknesses are disappearing. Someone posted a comment Neil Back had made about his support lines, but again they are improving.
Another year and he will be even better, will he ever gain a welsh cap, I’m not convinced they aren’t short of quality 7s, but we will see
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

Hopefully we'll be able to add Bryce Hegarty and Hosea Saumaki to that list in due course. Early days but both have potential.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

aslongaswebeatsaints wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:44 pm In my mind great coaches identify, improve and develop players. Immense coaches give the players a framework and the inspiration to own their development and those of fellow team mates, and a vision to inspire them to feel part of something bigger. All born from a mutual respect.

It really is. I think more than anything, Borthwick is an inspiring leader and that's how he gets so much out of his people. I suspect he'd be just as effective in any other industry.

As for Opeti Fonua, I would guess his failure to find more success in rugby was as much down to his own levels of commitment and he would possibly be one of those who would not have lasted long with Borthwick.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Postiger2 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:36 pm Hopefully we'll be able to add Bryce Hegarty and Hosea Saumaki to that list in due course. Early days but both have potential.
Happy to add the latter only for me.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:53 pm
WhitecapTiger wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:50 pm

Good shout on Lachie,was our glue at times
Named our first son after him as he was player of the season if memory serves
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

sapajo wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:40 pm
Postiger2 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:36 pm Hopefully we'll be able to add Bryce Hegarty and Hosea Saumaki to that list in due course. Early days but both have potential.
I think Hegarty is a useful squad player, I'm not sure he'll ever stand out. Saumaki could still become very good.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Tiglon wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:59 pm
I think Hegarty is a useful squad player, I'm not sure he'll ever stand out. Saumaki could still become very good.
And all squads need those nuts and bolts type players, I think he has done just what has been asked of him
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:01 pm
Tiglon wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:59 pm

And all squads need those nuts and bolts type players, I think he has done just what has been asked of him
I assume at some point he's been asked to make a few more than 58% of attempted tackles, but I know what you mean and yeah he's done ok. I'm not sure it would be easy to find a better option who is comparatively priced, equally versatile and happy being 2nd/3rd choice.