Under the radar signings

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Under the radar signings

Post by Rugbygramps »

Austin Healey has commented on this, on a number of occasions, citing the likes of Porter and Potter as players who have really made the step up, that possibly other clubs wouldn’t have looked at, Dan Kelly is possibly another.
I think we may have unearthed another in Sean Jansen, who Nadolo tweeted was working on a building site in New Zealand 8 weeks ago, and yet yesterday didn’t look out of place playing in the top level of English rugby.
Just think what he could be like with a proper pre season.
Any others that posters can think off
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Re: Under the radar signings

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:09 am Austin Healey has commented on this, on a number of occasions, citing the likes of Porter and Potter as players who have really made the step up, that possibly other clubs wouldn’t have looked at, Dan Kelly is possibly another.
I think we may have unearthed another in Sean Jansen, who Nadolo tweeted was working on a building site in New Zealand 8 weeks ago, and yet yesterday didn’t look out of place playing in the top level of English rugby.
Nic Dolly? I have to admit I hadn't really noticed him before he came here.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:07 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:09 am Austin Healey has commented on this, on a number of occasions, citing the likes of Porter and Potter as players who have really made the step up, that possibly other clubs wouldn’t have looked at, Dan Kelly is possibly another.
Nic Dolly? I have to admit I hadn't really noticed him before he came here.
Good shout
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

You have for me in this squad
Dolly (signed from Cov)
Chessum (Nottingham)
Kelly (Lough)
Porter (Sydney Uni)
Potter (Sydney uni)
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:12 am You have for me in this squad
Dolly (signed from Cov)
Chessum (Nottingham)
Kelly (Lough)
Porter (Sydney Uni)
Potter (Sydney uni)
3 of which have gained international recognition while in their early 20s
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Longer back Geoff Parling, Ben Herring, Marcus Ayerza & arguably Ellis Genge.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:06 pm Longer back Geoff Parling, Ben Herring, Marcus Ayerza & arguably Ellis Genge.
You are right of course. My question was really aimed at the current squad
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Honestly if not for injury Henderson I feel would’ve been included in those names.

I’m sure others might disagree but considering his mixed reviews when first signed Freddie Burns
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Whilst all talented players, I’d argue they’ve all been products of the first rate coaching set up we now have at the club. Like the old days, players came to Tigers to improve and fight for silverware.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:17 pm Whilst all talented players, I’d argue they’ve all been products of the first rate coaching set up we now have at the club. Like the old days, players came to Tigers to improve and fight for silverware.
I totally agree hence the post. We are able to pick up these players and turn them quickly into quality players.
I do hope Jansen is offered a longer contact, I feel he could be an ideal understudy for Wiese and looking at his stats he is a real unit
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Jasper Wiese was a pretty under the radar signing, primarily there to fill in behind Brink. Liebenberg I think was another without much interest from others.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Credit to those players as well as the coaching staff - yes the coaches have done brilliant work but all of those players mentioned are where they are because of their own incredible work ethic, commitment and attitude.

Jansen is definitely one with potential to be part of that group IMO.

Harry Wells when he rejoined from Bedford?

I don't think Scott had a long queue of suitors when he joined, but he has been exceptional and I'd be more than happy and confident to have him starting against Leinster, which is quite a big compliment.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:25 pm Jasper Wiese was a pretty under the radar signing, primarily there to fill in behind Brink. Liebenberg I think was another without much interest from others.

Liebenberg had already captained the Bulls before signing for us.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:25 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:25 pm Jasper Wiese was a pretty under the radar signing, primarily there to fill in behind Brink. Liebenberg I think was another without much interest from others.

Liebenberg had already captained the Bulls before signing for us.
And had captained the Boks u20s
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

I remember when McGinity was talking about Wiese saying that we’d signed someone who was good in the carry. At the time we had just signed Liebenberg who wasn’t too shabby (such an upgrade from the days of Luke Hamilton) and I just thought, how good is this next guy going to be. And now we know!
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.