Competition format

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Competition format

Post by markharbtiger »

Faced with an additional mid-week PRC game, and reflecting on the three competitions we are still in, I do wonder if there is a better alternative than the current arrangements, which seems to me is more a test of squad depth/available players than the quality of a starting 15/23. Many of our opponents are only in one competition and can afford to play at full strength (or closer to it).

I think if you're going to hold competitions simultaneously, then having a break in one to allow fixtures for the other(s) is preferable to additional games mid-week, particularly if player welfare is an issue. Of course there are breaks for the Champions Cup, and you might argue that PRC involves more junior players.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Competition format

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

I think one of the ways if you keep the PRC as a midweek competition is to limit the percentage of Premiership games a player is allowed to have played that season to be eligible for it. That way anyone who's say appeared in 60% or more fixtures can't play in it. That stops say Worcester who no longer have anything in the league to play for putting out a weakened side at the weekend then putting their first team out vs a development squad.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Competition format

Post by markharbtiger »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:42 am I think one of the ways if you keep the PRC as a midweek competition is to limit the percentage of Premiership games a player is allowed to have played that season to be eligible for it. That way anyone who's say appeared in 60% or more fixtures can't play in it. That stops say Worcester who no longer have anything in the league to play for putting out a weakened side at the weekend then putting their first team out vs a development squad.
For the PRC I think that would be completely appropriate. But I think the timing of Euro Championship games is worth looking at too. It just does not seem particularly fair that those not involved effectively rest their players, and those involved have the challenge of managing additional commitments...I think I'd favour an earlier end to the premiership and then a Euro competition, but that would need agreement amongst those involved. Of course it's all driven by money.