PRC Semi final vs London Irish (A) - 26th April 2022

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: PRC Semi final vs London Irish (A) - 26th April 2022

Post by sapajo »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:28 pm If Saumaki could tighten his all round game he would be perfect winger.
Just his all round game would make me question against a Sarries.

Our subs have looked good which is promising considering their ages.
If only he could tackle
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

westwinds31 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:31 pm Jansen superb I thought…what a find.
Agreed MOTM for us, especially considering he played 50 against Quins a couple days ago and now a full 80 against Irish
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:30 pm I get what everyone saying is about morale but sticking with it and scoring 2 decent tries in this last 15 minutes is a good thing
Somewhat scotches the idea that heads might drop, if they didn't in the thick of it they won't when in the calm, analytical fresh air of tomorrow or Thursday morning...
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

sapajo wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:31 pm
RagingBull wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:28 pm If Saumaki could tighten his all round game he would be perfect winger.
Just his all round game would make me question against a Sarries.

Our subs have looked good which is promising considering their ages.
If only he could tackle
I'm sure it's being worked on...
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
Tamworthtiger

Post by Tamworthtiger »

Both Simon K and Joe W are 18.

Joe last September, Simon earlier this month.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

kpj tiger wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:18 pm Lancaster looked good for England U20's but he's been way off the pace tonight, has he played much champ recently?
There’s a world of difference between age group and pro rugby. So many u-18 and u-20 ‘stars’ never make the grade in the adult game.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Saumaki instrumental in giving Irish their first try; missed a tackle then jogged back (may have been covering a pass, but I don't think so) ;only accelerated too late. After that, he was a different player with far more energy. Still, as others have said, needs to work on his defence. Brilliant finish for his try.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Well in the end some pride restored.
Well done to Jansen as to play twice in 4 days is amazing.
The game showed some players who,as yet, they are not ready for the first team squad.
Now we can concentrate on the two main competitions.
Congratulations to Irish: they played some very good rugby and good luck in the final.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Let's face it men against boys, if you multiply each of our scores by the wages of the opposition team it would be interesting to see which team is on top.

However some good takeaways:

1. Jansen is worth a contract beyond this short term deal he's on atm.
2. JVP looked bright as always
3. Some lovely attacking play by Saumaki and Kini at times.
4. Some of the real youngsters look promising Koroiyadi etc.

There were however some takeaways on the negative side.
1. Leatigaga was there as one of our key experienced players, should have lead by example but didn't. More and more he looks like a Loosehead only who can cover Tighthead in a real pinch. With him possibly not being under contract next year I'd rather see us develop the likes of Richardson.
2. This was Lancaster's weakest game for us, if the rumors of him having a loan is Aus is true next season I'd welcome that, give him a bit of chance to develop.
3. I think one or two guys may have played their last game for us, don't see much from Browning to suggest we should keep him, Socino also was patchy when we needed him to support Lancaster as the experienced guy outside him
4. Ilione going off injured was sad to see, hopefully nothing serious as that guy has some real talent.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I continued to watch on TV, I loved Irish running game, proper rugby. Don't want to be negative but for most part it was man against boys, but as everyone wants to say our lads will have learned a lot with one or 2 players standing out. Will be interesting to see who gets a contract at end of season, sadly there are going to be some losers.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

I’d add Hegarty in there as a positive, thought he played well and nailed some difficult kicks. All the players off the bench added something too.

Felt LI could go full hog for this game, whereas we’ve got bigger fish to fry in Europe and rested most senior players. With less injuries, we could have seen the likes of Dolly, Henderson, Martin, Robinson, Porter, Ashton etc which I feel would’ve made a massive difference.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Old Hob wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:44 pm Saumaki instrumental in giving Irish their first try; missed a tackle then jogged back (may have been covering a pass, but I don't think so) ;only accelerated too late. After that, he was a different player with far more energy. Still, as others have said, needs to work on his defence. Brilliant finish for his try.
I think he's come here as a project player. He's an incredible finisher and you can't coach that, players his size shouldn't be able to move as quickly and nimbly as he does. His defence and positioning need work but there's big improvements already from the start of the season.

A humbling night for some of the lads, most showed a lot of hunger particularly the younger ones. The cup was for development and I think it's helped us with that, we don't need another game so not disappointed to lose this one.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Perspective and realism please. All you need do is check the two starting lineups.....
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
LekkerTigers

Post by LekkerTigers »

https://www.reddit.com/r/rugbyunion/com ... &context=3

According to this London Irish fan they only had the one first team player!
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

It didn't help that we got nothing from Sir either, some of the senior players didn't really do much.
Lancaster looks way behind others of the same age, isn't Costelow the same age group for instance..., he certainly isn't a 10 at present either.
Not sure why JVP was even playing, he has been our best 9 recently.
Hopefully Jansen has earned a contract, he looks worthy of one.
A mismatch for 60 mins, then a more balanced last 20, but we do love a kick even when 40+ points down.....
To win is not as important as playing with style!