Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: PRC Semi final vs London Irish (A) - 26th April 2022

Post by Rugbygramps »

GB72 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:52 pm
Bunchy wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:38 pm Irish are still in europe too, and not out of top 4 race
Then in the same position as us (OK not a strong but number of matches, demand on players etc). They chose to focus on this match, perhaps to the detriment of others. We chose to enter a weaker team, perhaps to the benefit of matches in other events.

Every team has their own priorities and we could have gone into this strong if we wanted to but did not. No rules broken so congrats to LI and we move on.

Really not sure what the issue is here. Both teams made selections based on their priorities for this competition. Are we really riled because LI decided they wanted to win this competition and we were pretty much ambivilent to it.
I think it’s more the spirit. It doesn’t say in the rules that it’s a development competition but that is what it is meant as. Mullins et al were going through all the previous sponsors last night, which was rubbish as back in the day when it was say the John player cup it was the primary club competition pre leagues.
Of course you’re right that Irish were free to field whatever team they wanted, but picking a team of that quality to me questions their ambitions in the challenge cup, and also desire to get a top 8 finish
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

The annoyance comes as a result of the competition supposedly being about playing development players or fringe squad players who don't get much game time but then it not having any rules in place to ensure clubs are compelled to field teams to the spirit of this.
GETHIN EXILE

Post by GETHIN EXILE »

i have for a long time been advocating that the PRC should be an under 23's competition with a maximum of 3 overage players in the matchday squad. This was requested by the welsh regions with regard to the anglo-welsh cup and when the premiership clubs said no the regions pulled out.

If the premiership/RFU are serious about developing players for the future then the PRC needs a radical overhaul or the A league needs to be reinstated
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

A massive learning curve for the youngsters. Sad result, but plenty of things that were positive.
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

GB72 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:27 am I think that we may be taking the moral high ground a bit too quickly here. If we were out of Europe and had nothing to play for in the league, I suspect that we too may have put a stronger team out and gone for the silverware. If we had already secured top 2 and a home playoff, I also suspect the team may have been different. That is the choice every club has and we chose, correctly, to prioritise other competitions.
Had we done that I know I would have called out the club on it and others here would have to, especially if it were to go on to cost the team its place at the European top table next season (which it may yet do for Irish).

As for the relative worth to the two teams of last night, well I suspect Tigers will see some of the youngsters from last night go on to have great careers, possibly partly spurred on by the sting of losing, even if it was to a set of senior Prem players. London Irish might win a trophy that everyone will have forgotten about by the time the European final is played in Marseille...
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

kpj tiger wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:21 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:19 pm Considering he played a hard 50 on Saturday Jansen has really kept at it
Might sound like an insult to some but in the carry he reminds me of a young Jordan Crane
Behave,Jansen actually gets over the gainline 😂
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

GETHIN EXILE wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:15 pm i have for a long time been advocating that the PRC should be an under 23's competition with a maximum of 3 overage players in the matchday squad. This was requested by the welsh regions with regard to the anglo-welsh cup and when the premiership clubs said no the regions pulled out.

If the premiership/RFU are serious about developing players for the future then the PRC needs a radical overhaul or the A league needs to be reinstated
Agreed but all teams need to buy into the idea.

That said I have no problem with Irish putting out the side they did and whilst at times it was 'men and boys' our young prospects will have learned a lot from the drumming and be all the better for it in the long run.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Where is said/written the the PRC is a development competition or that team selection should be done in a certain way?

If it's some kind of gentleman's agreement then clearly that is no way to run a professional sporting competition.

If there is anything written or said then it seems posters/fans complaints have no grounding.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

wigworth wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:08 pm The annoyance comes as a result of the competition supposedly being about playing development players or fringe squad players who don't get much game time but then it not having any rules in place to ensure clubs are compelled to field teams to the spirit of this.
Exactly the point for me.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

ourla wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:01 pm Where is said/written the the PRC is a development competition or that team selection should be done in a certain way?

If it's some kind of gentleman's agreement then clearly that is no way to run a professional sporting competition.

If there is anything written or said then it seems posters/fans complaints have no grounding.
As previously mentioned it isn’t written down anywhere, but more the spirit of the competition with rounds during international windows and mid week games.
London Irish did what they had to do, Tigers did what they could do
Tigris
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tigris »

I have no problem with the team that either side put out - both made sense given their circumstances.
To be honest, what really grated for me was the BT commentary (asides from a few last-minute observations) which seemed happy to largely ignore the nature (and associated expectations) of the side that we put out. Thought it was unfair on most of the very young and/or borrowed players we put out.
As noted by others, the result was fairly predictable after the sides were announced - thought we bounced back nicely as the second half developed, particularly the front rowers.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

It really was a mismatch, I thought the commentators were a bit embarrassed by our performance and struggled to keep commentary going. Glad its over, lets get back to the proper stuff.
PIEANDAPINT
Tiger Cub

Post by PIEANDAPINT »

Both sides entered 3 competitions at the beginning of the season. Throughout the season both sides select according to availability, injuries, suspensions and as the season develops, priorities. Irish chose to pick their side for the semi final, Tigers chose to pick their side for the semi - final. It’s a level playing field ( salary cap issues aside! ) Move on.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Slightly more even clash at Kingsholm though Worcester looking to go through by 14 point margin
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Ben White was awesome and was clearly out to show that Tigers were wrong in letting him go.
That the player preferred to him was the captain of Tigers was all the motivation he needed.
Much has been written about the selection of both teams and the more experienced pack gave him a great ride.
He was everywhere.
It is unfortunate that with Ben and Jack ahead of him, both exceptional players, there was no berth for him in the long run.
From the little I saw of Edwards, he is also clearly a talent.
Always painful when "one that got away" comes back to bite us but good luck to him.
Yet again catching the eye was Harry Arundell. What a talent.
Could we find a place for him at Tigers when we have the England fullback in our ranks?
I suspect he will be on Freddie's heels soon enough but I would love them both here.
A life long Tiger