Super Rugby

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

MrG2

Super Rugby

Post by MrG2 »

So I have got the Tahs V Chiefs on. Firstly the Waratahs have a hooker sent off and he is replaced after 20 minutes, I know they do that down there. Then the replacement hooker goes off for HIA and they can bring on a sub for uncontested scrums. Isnt this what happened to Italy against Ireland and they had to lose an extra player due to scrums.

It's a different game down there
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Super Rugby

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

MrG2 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:22 am So I have got the Tahs V Chiefs on. Firstly the Waratahs have a hooker sent off and he is replaced after 20 minutes, I know they do that down there. Then the replacement hooker goes off for HIA and they can bring on a sub for uncontested scrums. Isnt this what happened to Italy against Ireland and they had to lose an extra player due to scrums.

I think HIA's are different, to ensure players and medics don’t ignore a possible head injury you are always able to replace a player for a HIA, it's the only injury you can replace someone for
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
TheLeinsterlad

Post by TheLeinsterlad »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:34 am
MrG2 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:22 am So I have got the Tahs V Chiefs on. Firstly the Waratahs have a hooker sent off and he is replaced after 20 minutes, I know they do that down there. Then the replacement hooker goes off for HIA and they can bring on a sub for uncontested scrums. Isnt this what happened to Italy against Ireland and they had to lose an extra player due to scrums.

I think HIA's are different, to ensure players and medics don’t ignore a possible head injury you are always able to replace a player for a HIA, it's the only injury you can replace someone for
That was the whole reason for the rule coming in in the first place, that teams couldn’t abuse the non contest scrum by possibly making a player feign injury. Guess the 20 minute red card has shown that this loophole can exist if brought in
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

TheLeinsterlad wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:36 am

That was the whole reason for the rule coming in in the first place, that teams couldn’t abuse the non contest scrum by possibly making a player feign injury. Guess the 20 minute red card has shown that this loophole can exist if brought in
But the not losing a man was because it was an HIA not because it was a 20 minute red card?
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
TheLeinsterlad

Post by TheLeinsterlad »

Crofty wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:25 pm

But the not losing a man was because it was an HIA not because it was a 20 minute red card?
Yeah because under the 20 minute red card technically teams return to a normal full 15 after the 20 mins are up but are not able to use the player carded. So when the hooker replacement gets HIA’d there is no hooker sun and as the card no longer exists for the full 15, the team forcing uncontested will not be penalised hence they don’t lose a player as a result. It’s a loophole that I presume they will remedy after the trial is complete and if they decide to continue with the 20 minute card
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

TheLeinsterlad wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:49 pm

Yeah because under the 20 minute red card technically teams return to a normal full 15 after the 20 mins are up but are not able to use the player carded. So when the hooker replacement gets HIA’d there is no hooker sun and as the card no longer exists for the full 15, the team forcing uncontested will not be penalised hence they don’t lose a player as a result. It’s a loophole that I presume they will remedy after the trial is complete and if they decide to continue with the 20 minute card
But if they were at 14 with a normal red card and the replacement hooker needed an HIA they'd still be able to replace him with another front rower, go uncontested and remain at 14 men. The reason Italy lost the extra man was because their replacement hooker got red carded and the original couldn't take his place because he had an arm injury.
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
TheLeinsterlad

Post by TheLeinsterlad »

Crofty wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:36 am

But if they were at 14 with a normal red card and the replacement hooker needed an HIA they'd still be able to replace him with another front rower, go uncontested and remain at 14 men. The reason Italy lost the extra man was because their replacement hooker got red carded and the original couldn't take his place because he had an arm injury.
No if they had a permanent red card and hooker was hia’d they would be told by the ref to remove a player from the field and play with 13 with uncontested scrums until the hia player was allowed to return. This exact issue happened in the recent Leinster v Connacht match where Con had to reduce to 13 for this exact situation
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

what a game that was between Western Force and Hurricanes
tjs10inOz

Post by tjs10inOz »

TheLeinsterlad wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:30 pm
Crofty wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:36 am

No if they had a permanent red card and hooker was hia’d they would be told by the ref to remove a player from the field and play with 13 with uncontested scrums until the hia player was allowed to return. This exact issue happened in the recent Leinster v Connacht match where Con had to reduce to 13 for this exact situation
The two games are different scenarios.
In the Tahs game, the second event that led to uncontested scrums was an HIA.
In the Connacht game, the second event that led to the uncontested scrums was Jack Aungier's yellow card. While Bealham went off for an HIA, the HIA was the first event, and the yellow was the second event.

The Laws allow that, where the second event, that leads to uncontested scrums is due to a referee-ordered HIA, the affected team does not have to lose a player, but must still include 8 in the pack.

2nd exemption here:
https://www.world.rugby/the-game/laws/g ... anguage=en

Both refs got it right.

Check the 1st/2nd event table in the link if you are still unsure as to why.
Formerly tjs10 but forgot my login info!
Now living in Western Australia and working in Hockey but still watching rugby whenever i can!
tjs10inOz

Post by tjs10inOz »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 3:00 pm what a game that was between Western Force and Hurricanes
Yes, what a game!

Unfortunately I had to watch it on TV, and was the only Force home game I missed seeing in-person this year, as I am currently in 7-day iso due to covid.

Typical that the one game they win at home is the only one I miss!!!!!
Formerly tjs10 but forgot my login info!
Now living in Western Australia and working in Hockey but still watching rugby whenever i can!