Quins v Leicester - 23rd April 2022 KO 15:00

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Quins v Leicester - 23rd April 2022 KO 15:00

Post by Rugbygramps »

fentiger wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:40 pm By my reckoning IF we win Tuesday plus Leinster, and the SF then Prem semi we have a potential of ten games! Quins have a potential five left, squad rotation is key :smt023
Now you’re just being far too sensible
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

westwinds31 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:42 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:39 pm Ok I'll try again. Fantastic result today,incredibly happy about the loss. Glad we didn't win but rugby was the main winner. Better? 🤪
There you go….not hard was it :smt026
I'm a winner mate,if people are happy losing then that's on them. I'll vent when I want to,as will others and I am perfectly happy with that 👍
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:44 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:39 pm Ok I'll try again. Fantastic result today,incredibly happy about the loss. Glad we didn't win but rugby was the main winner. Better? 🤪
I'm a winner mate,if people are happy losing then that's on them. I'll vent when I want to,as will others and I am perfectly happy with that 👍
Generally, winners do not need to announce themselves as such...
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
Bge3095

Post by Bge3095 »

after reflection I don’t feel too disappointed with the game today, thought Janson looked good going forward and also Robinson got a couple of turn overs that were important. We got theLBP and fully loaded we are becoming a really good team. Onwards and upwards. Coyt 🐯🐯🐯🐯
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Crofty wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:46 pm

OK should have said I want to win all the time and get peeved when I don't. And I feel that everyone should be able to say what they want without sarcastic little childish comments to the contrary. If folk are happy with a loss that's on them
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Just to get some perspective. Quins were at more or less full strength. Tigers started the game with 3rd choice loosehead, 3rd choice hooker, 2nd choice tighthead, 3rd choice 7 and 3rd or 4th choice 8. In the backs we had our 2nd choice 12, 2nd choice fly half playing at full back. So out of a team of 15, 7 players were 2nd choice or less. i do not wish to disrespect these players as all of them have shown they can more than "do a job" but such a large number of non 1st choices against strong opponents is bound to have an impact.

I believe that, if we did not have the injuries and suspensions we currently have plus the need to rotate players ahead of some intense and important games to come in 3 different competitions, we would not have had so many 2nd choice or less players in the same starting team. Despite this we were only 3 points behind at half time to a team that some posters have said are far ahead of us.

To mitigate against this SB went with a fully loaded bench and up until the last 5 minutes that strategy seemed to be producing results especially in the forwards. Add to this that Ford and Potter, measured against their normal high standards, had off days.
Under these conditions we still managed a losing bonus point.

I believe, as other posters have rightly observed, that with players such as Porter, Chessum, Montoya, JvP, Steward, Dolly and Whitcombe returning to the mix we would be more than a match for the Harlequins team that played today. I have assumed that MvS, Kelly and Martin are out for the rest of the season but if we were to get even one of these back our position would improve even further. I'm sure we will see a much rotated side for Bristol in preparation for Leinster and then as full a strength side as possible for that game.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
SuperEagle
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by SuperEagle »

It was my first time at the Stoop. Fun crowd and good atmosphere.
I'd have taken a LBP before kick off, and feel that's about what we deserved.
I'm glad I got a look at Jansen - he played very well and didn't look out of place
Defense was pretty good. We shackled Dombrant and Esterhuizen well for the main part, but the Murley try was far too simple. (I thought Smith's last pass was forward in real time but haven't yet seen the replay).
As expected, they had the pump on us at scrumtime until the replacements came on, but I was disappointed that we never really got our driving maul going.
Ford had an off day with the boot, but Youngs and Burns did well.
Given our starting pack, this is just one where we take the L and move on. Good things are ahead
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

SuperEagle wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:16 pm It was my first time at the Stoop. Fun crowd and good atmosphere.
I'm glad I got a look at Jansen - he played very well and didn't look out of place
Defense was pretty good. We shackled Dombrant and Esterhuizen well for the main part, but the Murley try was far too simple. (I thought Smith's last pass was forward in real time but haven't yet seen the replay).
As expected, they had the pump on us at scrumtime until the replacements came on, but I was disappointed that we never really got our driving maul going.
Given our starting pack, this is just one where we take the L and move on. Good things are ahead
It was. Check against the 5 m line when you watch again. The pass to Dombrandt was forward just before the first try too.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

SuperEagle wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:16 pm It was my first time at the Stoop. Fun crowd and good atmosphere.
Pet hate of mine and Quins (IMHO) get away with a lot of forward passes!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:11 pm Just to get some perspective. Quins were at more or less full strength. Tigers started the game with 3rd choice loosehead, 3rd choice hooker, 2nd choice tighthead, 3rd choice 7 and 3rd or 4th choice 8. In the backs we had our 2nd choice 12, 2nd choice fly half playing at full back. So out of a team of 15, 7 players were 2nd choice or less. i do not wish to disrespect these players as all of them have shown they can more than "do a job" but such a large number of non 1st choices against strong opponents is bound to have an impact.

I believe that, if we did not have the injuries and suspensions we currently have plus the need to rotate players ahead of some intense and important games to come in 3 different competitions, we would not have had so many 2nd choice or less players in the same starting team. Despite this we were only 3 points behind at half time to a team that some posters have said are far ahead of us.

To mitigate against this SB went with a fully loaded bench and up until the last 5 minutes that strategy seemed to be producing results especially in the forwards. Add to this that Ford and Potter, measured against their normal high standards, had off days.
Under these conditions we still managed a losing bonus point.

I believe, as other posters have rightly observed, that with players such as Porter, Chessum, Montoya, JvP, Steward, Dolly and Whitcombe returning to the mix we would be more than a match for the Harlequins team that played today. I have assumed that MvS, Kelly and Martin are out for the rest of the season but if we were to get even one of these back our position would improve even further. I'm sure we will see a much rotated side for Bristol in preparation for Leinster and then as full a strength side as possible for that game.
I was about to post my thoughts on the game then read your post and couldn’t agree more. Saved me a few key strokes.. perfect summary and hit the nail on the head for me :smt023
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

fentiger wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:38 pm
Pet hate of mine and Quins (IMHO) get away with a lot of forward passes!
They may do, possibly to do with how flat they play
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:48 pm

OK should have said I want to win all the time and get peeved when I don't. And I feel that everyone should be able to say what they want without sarcastic little childish comments to the contrary. If folk are happy with a loss that's on them
I don't think people are happy with the loss, they're happy with the performance in the context of it being a heavily rotated squad, an away game, and a less consequential game than others we will play in the coming days.

If you choose to ignore all that context and see only doom and gloom others will likely offer the counter view/try and cheer you up, that's the way messageboards tend to work.
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Crofty wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:49 pm

I don't think people are happy with the loss, they're happy with the performance in the context of it being a heavily rotated squad, an away game, and a less consequential game than others we will play in the coming days.

If you choose to ignore all that context and see only doom and gloom others will likely offer the counter view/try and cheer you up, that's the way messageboards tend to work.
I can't see any doom and gloom though,posters are quoting "end of the world " and stuff like that when no one has said anything of the sort 😂
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

So if my maths are right we're 9 points ahead of 3rd with 3 games to go, 4th cannot catch us. Quins (if they beat Exteter, Glaws & Saints with a TBP) can only get 15 points, so if we get 6 points out of our final 2 games that's a home semifinal. For me that's something we should definitely achieve.

We also have 2 other competitions we are still fighting in so we're in a good place
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:52 pm
Crofty wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:49 pm

I can't see any doom and gloom though,posters are quoting "end of the world " and stuff like that when no one has said anything of the sort 😂
I think any loss is bound to be disappointing but in the grand context of things we have rested some key players for 2 knockout rugby matches we have coming up, some squad players have gained some valuable playing time for the run in and a largely rotated side went away to the ‘Champions’ and pushed a nearly full strength side all the way. We denied Quins a TBP and left with a LBP ourselves. Big picture we are still top, have some very winnable games coming up in the Premiership and we have got a lot out of today.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!