Tigers v Leinster (H) - Saturday 07th May 2022 - 5-30pm KO

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers v Leinster (H) - Saturday 07th May 2022 - 5-30pm KO

Post by Ian Cant »

Having enjoyed the company of many Leinster fans in Dublin and again on Saturday I’ve found them to be a great set of fans showing great integrity and fairness.
Looking back at the game having watched from the Mattioli Woods stand my summary would be:
1) Leinster got off to a fast start, making no mistakes, their back row played incredibly well arriving together, supporting each other in attack and their rush defence was superbly efficient.
At 10-0 down Ford was tackled late: his kick landed about 25 -30 metres out yet somehow we gave a penalty away resulting in a try then being scored by Leinster.
In the Premiership the TMO would have pointed out the late tackle!
2) After 20 minutes things began to change: we could and should have got on the scoreboard with at least two very kickable penalties but kicked to touch and messed things up. Leinster took their penalties to extend the lead.
3) After Ashton scored there was only one team desperately defending: more kickable penalties not taken then strangely, the two backs most likely to create/ score tries were replaced along with our main scavenger, Reffell!
4) Leinster seemed to take their foot off the pedal but maybe Tigers had found their true form though, as happened at Wasps, Sale, Sarries and at the end v Quins,
we didn’t have the running lines to break the defensive wall.
5) finally, very well done Leinster, I imagine “the fast start” was exactly what they had wanted to do and boy, you executed it brilliantly.

I was proud of my Tigers and all of us who made a hell of a lot of noise. I left my seat with a few minutes to go to stand for the last rites: the noise from both sets of fans was immense.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Agree with all of the above, Ian.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Qbec »

Has anyone thought about the possiblity that the teams performance against Leinster may have affected by the build up & associated passion surrounding the Bristol Bears game & Tom Youngs emotional address to the team in the dressing prior to the full on game won by considerable margin.
Its not unknown for a team to put a huge effort into a game one week then not be able to follow it up the next.
eg England vs. NZ world cup semi final followed by England vs. SA in the final.
Just a thought :smt017
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Good summary Ian

I watched the game dispassionately (and with no sound!) for the first time after reading the reports and this thread last night.

After that start it was a fairly even game, a bit short on quality and fluidity from both sides in honesty. You felt that if we could have got closer on the scoreboard and a bit of a head of steam we could have really turned it around. But whether it was a refs call, bad decision making or bounce of the ball it just fizzled away.

That is sport and this team can come again, still plenty of fight and still some younger guys learning.

Got to say I am desperate to get to the Prem Final again and to win it would feel a bit like winning it for the first time.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Leinster wage apparently 12-14 million euros according to Jackman
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

RagingBull wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:41 am Leinster wage apparently 12-14 million euros according to Jackman
And add the payments from the IRFU for a lot of the squad on top of that
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

RagingBull wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:41 am Leinster wage apparently 12-14 million euros according to Jackman
No no no, that can't be right. All their International stars are on 90k :smt044
TheLeinsterlad

Post by TheLeinsterlad »

Tiglon wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:45 am
Jackman is talking through his hat.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

TheLeinsterlad wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:22 pm
Tiglon wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:45 am
Jackman is talking through his hat.
He might be, but his thoughts are still more likely to be reliable than those of random man on internet.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Watched highlights of the Leinster v Munster game over the weekend, there were hardly any, if any, of their European cup side playing
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:42 pm Watched highlights of the Leinster v Munster game over the weekend, there were hardly any, if any, of their European cup side playing
I have always wondered how much the Pro 14 title actually means to those taking part. Clearly English clubs see a great deal of importance in winning the league but is it the same for the pro 14 clubs or is it taken as a competition to be used to keep players fit and in form ofr Europe? Am I paying the league a massive diservice? As it is not somthing I watch often, I really do not know.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

GB72 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:48 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:42 pm Watched highlights of the Leinster v Munster game over the weekend, there were hardly any, if any, of their European cup side playing
I have always wondered how much the Pro 14 title actually means to those taking part. Clearly English clubs see a great deal of importance in winning the league but is it the same for the pro 14 clubs or is it taken as a competition to be used to keep players fit and in form ofr Europe? Am I paying the league a massive diservice? As it is not somthing I watch often, I really do not know.
I don’t think it’s any secret that the priority’s in Ireland, are Test matches, European games, Pro 14. In saying that Irish sides seem to win it more often than not
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

The league is awful for the most part,easily the worse out of the big 4 (GP,Top14,URC,Super Rugby). It’s just a vehicle for European and International rugby tbh.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Bluemagoo

Post by Bluemagoo »

Scott1 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 1:21 pm
The league is awful for the most part,easily the worse out of the big 4 (GP,Top14,URC,Super Rugby). It’s just a vehicle for European and International rugby tbh.
Have you watched the URC regularly? Leinster v Munster, 32k attendance, better game of rugby than almost every Premiership rugby borefest this year. Just because Leinster had no starters from the Semi v Toulouse, the team they put out would easily finish in the playoff places in the Premiership. There's a false narrative abounding blown out of all proportion by Sky and then BT how the Premiership is such a super league - it just isn't. Your comment is beyond arrogant, and ill informed. GP teams are going to get a nice little extra shock next year when the Stormers, Bulls, and Sharks come to town in the HC. Have a look in the mirror; if Connacht had a scrum they would have won in Welford road, and blew the return in Galway losing by a solitary point. Connacht have finished 11th of 16 in the URC.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Bluemagoo wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:40 pm
Scott1 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 1:21 pm

Have you watched the URC regularly? Leinster v Munster, 32k attendance, better game of rugby than almost every Premiership rugby borefest this year. Just because Leinster had no starters from the Semi v Toulouse, the team they put out would easily finish in the playoff places in the Premiership. There's a false narrative abounding blown out of all proportion by Sky and then BT how the Premiership is such a super league - it just isn't. Your comment is beyond arrogant, and ill informed. GP teams are going to get a nice little extra shock next year when the Stormers, Bulls, and Sharks come to town in the HC. Have a look in the mirror; if Connacht had a scrum they would have won in Welford road, and blew the return in Galway losing by a solitary point. Connacht have finished 11th of 16 in the URC.
Speaking about arrogance suggest that you read your own post back
A2O