Tigers v Leinster (H) - Saturday 07th May 2022 - 5-30pm KO

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers v Leinster (H) - Saturday 07th May 2022 - 5-30pm KO

Post by loretta »

mol2 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 1:37 pm The salary cap is a choice made by the clubs.

The question has to be as to whether it is worth playing in Europe given this voluntary handicap.

If Wales drop to 3 regions then we will have a situation where the games are against the mega bucks French sides and the Wales and Irish training squads. Arguably Ireland have put most of that with with Leinster and if Wales do that with Cardiff, would the English league be better off having it’s own cup competition. Yes it exists as the Low value cup, played in the international windows but was once the equivalent of the FA cup.

Or do we go regions, but that seems to be killing Welsh clubs.
English regions would be a disaster, but asking clubs to compete against the Irish training squad is a joke. With ring fencing now with us, maybe it’s time to significantly increase the cap. The RFU has already signalled its disinterest in the lower leagues, maybe that’s the way it’ll go.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Dangerous4 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:20 pm I have always deplored the fact that provinces come up against clubs in European Cup games. It is not in the spirit of what it is about. Little wonder that Leinster have won it four times, with so many Irish internationals in the side. It was initially intended and still should, about clubs. Why then, should we not have English regions? No, that's not what I want, or any English rugby fan for that matter. So why do the Irish get away with it? Completely and utterly ridiculous! :smt013 :smt013
In fairness to Leinster, they have developed a huge percentage of their squad.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Honestly I would rather we had a decent size cap but all Academy players/products of the academy are excluded from the cap.
Really encourages clubs to pump out the academy lads, and helps make sure that they are good investments.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Simplistic I know. But it does seem strange that in a competitive industry there are efforts made to level up the playing field. If you haven’t got it or can’t raise it then don’t spend it
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Yes it’s not that we don’t raise the players it’s that we can’t keep them as they start to get good because we don’t have the cap for it all .. you can only keep the bankers …. The problem is ..
if we raise the cap or indeed abolish it as I think some Are suggesting, how many clubs, including ourselves could afford it?
The cap was introduced not just to create a level ish playing field but also to ensure there is still a competition to play at the end of it .. when everyone else has gone bust Saracens can’t just be left playing themselves.. however much they’d like to!
The cap was introduced in the wake of the 1995/6 unseemly dash to professionalism and the sinking of Richmond and London Scottish along with it.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I totally understand Mighty Mouse point but in Wendy ball there are huge discrepancies in clubs budgets and yes the same clubs end up near the top but isn’t that happening in rugby no real surprises in the top 6 this year other than possibly Tigers
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 3:40 pm Some clubs grade their matches which is reflected in ticket prices. Last nights game was a top grade game and the pricing was justified in my opininion....a top class tournament semi final with top players on both sides
I think our prices were pro-rata to other clubs, fair in my opinion, we went to Clermont we paid 50 euros each to sit on the 22 mtr line, my ticket for my Seniors Crumbie seat on the 22, was £37. There were no concessions available in Clermont, remember this match was a 1/4 final, not a qualifying round.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

mightymouse wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 3:46 pm Maybe the atmosphere was better not only because what was at stake but the travelling support makes the fans wake up and think we’re not being out shouted in our own back yard .
. I often think that the crowd is far too quite and take it all for granted. Also maybe there is an element, dare I say it , that some Season ticket holders who are normally there but not wishing to fork out more are those who just sit a say nothing anyway. Maybe the more committed dug deep .. now that is not to say that there is also real monetary problems at the moment and I fully understand and sympathise with that before I get shot down for it by the way!!
Agreed!.
The atmosphere was unbelievable yesterday, in my many years I've not heard so much noise and the singing in the Crumbie of our new anthem was fantastic. Sorry for those that don't like it, but "Welford Road" has brought so many people together, those complaining please stop and everyone join in.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

loretta wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 3:55 pm
mol2 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 1:37 pm The salary cap is a choice made by the clubs.

The question has to be as to whether it is worth playing in Europe given this voluntary handicap.

If Wales drop to 3 regions then we will have a situation where the games are against the mega bucks French sides and the Wales and Irish training squads. Arguably Ireland have put most of that with with Leinster and if Wales do that with Cardiff, would the English league be better off having it’s own cup competition. Yes it exists as the Low value cup, played in the international windows but was once the equivalent of the FA cup.

Or do we go regions, but that seems to be killing Welsh clubs.
English regions would be a disaster, but asking clubs to compete against the Irish training squad is a joke. With ring fencing now with us, maybe it’s time to significantly increase the cap. The RFU has already signalled its disinterest in the lower leagues, maybe that’s the way it’ll go.
I dont think ringfencing is the problem, clubs quite rightly decided to reduce the cap in order to stay in business.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

LE18 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 5:16 pm
mightymouse wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 3:46 pm Maybe the atmosphere was better not only because what was at stake but the travelling support makes the fans wake up and think we’re not being out shouted in our own back yard .
. I often think that the crowd is far too quite and take it all for granted. Also maybe there is an element, dare I say it , that some Season ticket holders who are normally there but not wishing to fork out more are those who just sit a say nothing anyway. Maybe the more committed dug deep .. now that is not to say that there is also real monetary problems at the moment and I fully understand and sympathise with that before I get shot down for it by the way!!
Agreed!.
The atmosphere was unbelievable yesterday, in my many years I've not heard so much noise and the singing in the Crumbie of our new anthem was fantastic. Sorry for those that don't like it, but "Welford Road" has brought so many people together, those complaining please stop and everyone join in.
What is this new " anthem" you refer to that was fantastic as I have not seen it announced or promulgated anywhere by the club? As I have said before that dire pre match karaoke does not float my boat.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

sapajo wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 8:54 pm
LE18 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 5:16 pm
Agreed!.
What is this new " anthem" you refer to that was fantastic as I have not seen it announced or promulgated anywhere by the club? As I have said before that dire pre match karaoke does not float my boat.
You will never beat “Thunder”,Eminem’s instrumental and Smoke on the Water back to back
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Agreed :smt041 :smt041
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Ring fencing is already killing the league, Baths capitulation to Gloucester would not have happened if they were fighting for survival like we had to for a couple of seasons. Money has already ruined the game along with a bit of political influence as well, no one will convince me other wise that politics were not involved in this competition. Sad fact is that rugby is losing it's charm amongst the public, Welsh and Scottish rugby is on it's knees with poor attendances except for the Calcutta Cup or the All Blacks coming to town. The RFU sadly missed an opportunity to boost the game in England in 2003 and I cannot see when we will have another chance with the current crop of suits indifference to the club game.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

We lost a game
We weren’t on top form
We got the tactics wrong first half
They were prepared and played better
The spine of our squad is good
We have strength in depth
We learn and move on and get better
The new song is something extra and unites

Anything else divides
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

tigerburnie wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 9:18 pm Ring fencing is already killing the league, Baths capitulation to Gloucester would not have happened if they were fighting for survival like we had to for a couple of seasons. Money has already ruined the game along with a bit of political influence as well, no one will convince me other wise that politics were not involved in this competition. Sad fact is that rugby is losing it's charm amongst the public, Welsh and Scottish rugby is on it's knees with poor attendances except for the Calcutta Cup or the All Blacks coming to town. The RFU sadly missed an opportunity to boost the game in England in 2003 and I cannot see when we will have another chance with the current crop of suits indifference to the club game.
Ringfencing isn’t killing the league, can’t prove that whatsoever after just one season
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer