Tigers v Leinster (H) - Saturday 07th May 2022 - 5-30pm KO

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers v Leinster (H) - Saturday 07th May 2022 - 5-30pm KO

Post by wigworth »

RagingBull wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 8:09 am I wish we had more communication with the ref yesterday, usually we are a lot more vocal with the ref lately just pointing things out never seemed like we had a proper talk with him.
He didn't seem overly receptive to any influence even from his assistants never mind Ellis.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Tigers86asw wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 7:43 am The issue with the tackle is whether it was late today or not it was high. That’s what’s so frustrating.
Tackle is generous there wasn't any arms involved.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Here's a interesting thing I read
This season
Leinster players in that game played a combined total of minutes of 20737
Tigers players in that game played a combined total of minutes: 27,324

So in total our players had played nearly 7000 more minutes of rugby in the last 11 or so months.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

So with 23 players in the squad our guys had played about 5 hours more rugby during the season, doesn't sound much but of course the difference is the strategic time off before big games.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Tigers needed that. It was, paradoxically, a complete validation of the club's renaissance and trajectory. Facing a region - never a club but the repository of most of a top national team - we failed. The fact the arguments are over poor reffing, even called by some commentators, and a poor first 20, means that a team that had effectively died two seasons ago is one many European sides would avoid. The coaching team, less than half of Leinster's, with a lot less money, should be congratulated.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

A disappointing day. But hopefully one that the team can learn from.
It was always going to be an uphill task for reasons we all know and have no control over. Sometimes I wish there was more equity across Europe in terms of salary, contracts, team sizes etc, but there isn't. In my view, the priorities of those who make the rules in this country are focussed domestically. I don't see that changing.
At least it gives Tigers a single competition to win, rather that fighting on separate fronts simultaneously.
Midlander

Post by Midlander »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:28 pm
Dangerous4 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:20 pm I have always deplored the fact that provinces come up against clubs in European Cup games. It is not in the spirit of what it is about. Little wonder that Leinster have won it four times, with so many Irish internationals in the side. It was initially intended and still should, about clubs. Why then, should we not have English regions? No, that's not what I want, or any English rugby fan for that matter. So why do the Irish get away with it? Completely and utterly ridiculous! :smt013 :smt013
Our starting line up;

1. Genge - international
2. Montoya - international
3. Cole - international
4. Chessum - international
5. Green - uncapped
6. Liebenburg - uncapped
7. Reffell - uncapped
8. Weise - international
9. Youngs - international
10. Ford - international
11. Potter - uncapped
12. Porter - uncapped
13. Moroni - international
14. Ashton - international
15. Steward - international

So we had ten starting that have international caps. The whole provinces have an advantage thing is overstated. We sent out rotated sides to beat Connacht this season. What Leinster have benefited from is keep their key players together over a period of time, utilising their well run academy to its fullest and keeping good quality coaching set ups in place for extended periods.

In recent times there only poor season was with MOC at the helm and with Sexton gone on his sabbatical to France. They fixed that and rebuilt and have kept on going. We've had our rebuild but we aren't as far along the development process as Leinster.
One of the better replies on todays forum
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Lets not throw ourselves out of the nearest high window.....

Leinster are a quality side that know how to win - something we still aspire to be;
consider 'big match' experience....
consider how far we have come....

If you doubt progress try casting you're respective minds back 18 months or two years.

We needed this game and ,perhaps in some supporters cases, this result.

Learn from it and it's worth it....(in my opinion, of course)
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Midlander wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 9:03 am
Dangerous4 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:20 pm I have always deplored the fact that provinces come up against clubs in European Cup games. It is not in the spirit of what it is about. Little wonder that Leinster have won it four times, with so many Irish internationals in the side. It was initially intended and still should, about clubs. Why then, should we not have English regions? No, that's not what I want, or any English rugby fan for that matter. So why do the Irish get away with it? Completely and utterly ridiculous! :smt013 :smt013
Our starting line up;

1. Genge - international
3. Cole - international
5. Green - uncapped
6. Liebenburg - uncapped
7. Reffell - uncapped
8. Weise - international
10. Ford - international
11. Potter - uncapped
12. Porter - uncapped

So we had ten starting that have international caps. The whole provinces have an advantage thing is overstated. We sent out rotated sides to beat Connacht this season. What Leinster have benefited from is keep their key players together over a period of time, utilising their well run academy to its fullest and keeping good quality coaching set ups in place for extended periods.

In recent times there only poor season was with MOC at the helm and with Sexton gone on his sabbatical to France. They fixed that and rebuilt and have kept on going. We've had our rebuild but we aren't as far along the development process as Leinster.
Not really.

It’s not just about the number of caps, you have to take into account whether they are established internationals, or young guys at the start of their careers or older statesmen like Ashton. Leinster basically play together at all levels including international as a team. Our guys don’t. Essentially it comes down to funding. We can’t field a team comprising so many current players in the National team, because of the salary cap. Leinster don’t have those same restrictions. As someone else said, only Sarries have been able compete and we all know how
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

True Ireland internationals are all current internationals basically
Cole and Ashton haven't played a International game in 3 years
Chessum has played like 30 minutes of international rugby
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Down but not out, need to beat Gosforth to be top of the league and a home semi in the payoffs, now I think we would all have taken that at the season start and would not have believed it two years ago when dodging relegation. The club has turned around, we get nothing for being top of the league, but it will be a " trophy " I will cherish after where we have been. Well done Leicester Tigers, back challenging the big sides in the Champions Cup again.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

loretta wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 9:21 am
Midlander wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 9:03 am

Our starting line up;

1. Genge - international
3. Cole - international
5. Green - uncapped
6. Liebenburg - uncapped
7. Reffell - uncapped
8. Weise - international
10. Ford - international
11. Potter - uncapped
12. Porter - uncapped

Not really.

It’s not just about the number of caps, you have to take into account whether they are established internationals, or young guys at the start of their careers or older statesmen like Ashton. Leinster basically play together at all levels including international as a team. Our guys don’t. Essentially it comes down to funding. We can’t field a team comprising so many current players in the National team, because of the salary cap. Leinster don’t have those same restrictions. As someone else said, only Sarries have been able compete and we all know how
Compare that with the pack of our glory days?

Wig
Cockers / Nobby
Garf / Jules
Johnno
Kay
Mad dog
Back
Cozza

Then Oz or maybe Hazza later on at 9
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Leinster fans talking about how they can only have four NIQ's :smt005 I would have more sympathy if the Irish ssquad was more spread out among provinces
Like they need them? It's literally the Ireland squad and a wage bill much bigger than ours. Can you imagine how much it would be for a prem team to have basically the whole England squad? (Granted a bit cheaper after this six nations :smt002 )
They even poached arguably Connacht's best prospect in Henshaw.
and despite having 2 lions in the centre they are signing Ngatai on top of that

IDK I guess perspective is loss on some fans.

They are an amazing team though, the ref didn't lose the game that first 30 did even then I think Leinster would've beaten us they did switch off and was more than happy to let us play our blunt attack if we had gotten closer they would've turned it up another couple of gears and I think our defence with that second half back line would've been massively found out against such talent and class. Although their Scrum and Maul work has been some of the weakest we played for a team of that standard. If Ryan can get neutralised in the lineout they will struggle massively in that department. Scrum wise Porter got destroyed by Cole and their bench got pumped by a front row averaging the age of 22.

Hell of a standard for our players to experience especially with premiership play offs coming up. It's 1 year into our rebuild and we didn't get embarrassed by a top 3 team in europe It's a long way from getting smashed at home by Glasgow lol
Smudger67S
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Smudger67S »

The IRFU do spread the talent around……. a bit….I can think of two (without Google, so guess there is more). Jordi Murphy was moved from Leinster to Ulster, while Joey Carbery went south to Munster.
If at first you don't succeed .............. then skydiving isnt for you!!!!
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

It was disappointing to lose given how great this season has been. I wish I was a fly on the wall to listen to how we might get up to the Leinster level with the squad we’ve got, or will have next year. I think player for player we could match them, but it’s all about no errors, decision making etc which comes with experience. As good as Porter & Potter have been, and they’ve been superb, I think they, and others were either too hyped up which leads to errors or they froze when the good moments and opportunities came around. Maybe wrong to single out players as they’ve been excellent…others made mistakes at crucial times. The thing that will hurt the most is the line out…one of our massive strengths was nullified and for a coach who is meticulous in terms of detail, that will hurt how easily Leinster took us apart.

Agree the ref had no bearing on the result.