Tigers v Leinster (H) - Saturday 07th May 2022 - 5-30pm KO

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers v Leinster (H) - Saturday 07th May 2022 - 5-30pm KO

Post by Postiger2 »

Tigers86asw wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 10:14 pm The fact there were only 19000 at the game is very poor for a club like Tigers. Poor effort from the club to make tickets so expensive.

Yeah, my ticket in the BeeHive was £53. Outrageous really.
Systonite
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Systonite »

Postiger2 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 10:06 pm Agree that the tap from Hanro was a bad decision. Losing that 5m lineout right after we scored felt like a big moment too, we genuinely had them on the rack and we let them off the hook there.

I'm a huge fan of Montoya but I felt Dolly should have come on sooner.
The tap from Hanro may have been a bit hasty, but the failure to penalise Leinster for not being 10 made it look worse. There may have been other refereeing aberrations, but that one seemed a telling example.
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

Systonite wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 10:27 pm
Postiger2 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 10:06 pm Agree that the tap from Hanro was a bad decision. Losing that 5m lineout right after we scored felt like a big moment too, we genuinely had them on the rack and we let them off the hook there.

The tap from Hanro may have been a bit hasty, but the failure to penalise Leinster for not being 10 made it look worse. There may have been other refereeing aberrations, but that one seemed a telling example.
I was going bananas at that point. There is no way he and his assistants didn't see that....it's inexplicable.
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

Systonite wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 10:27 pm

It was so obvious too - and then for Leinster to have hands in the ruck just rubbed salt into the wounds

The refereeing was odd shall we say
manxleigh

Post by manxleigh »

Outplayed, too many unforced errors, some bad tactical decisions and an appalling first 40 by the ref! Game over!
keep dreaming and you'll keep wondering
TiltonTiger

Post by TiltonTiger »

Tigers86asw wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 10:14 pm The fact there were only 19000 at the game is very poor for a club like Tigers. Poor effort from the club to make tickets so expensive.
But there hasn’t been an atmosphere like that at Welford Road for some time
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Poor effort from the club trying to make money from what was really a one off game.

Shame on them.
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

Bit of wider perspective needed I think - I left the stadium gutted but after a wee dram can’t be more proud of Tigers today for so far they’ve progressed in the last few seasons

1. Let’s face it. Leinster are the Ireland International First XV minus a couple, and not just in disguise. One of the best (perhaps the best though I am sure Toulouse and Blues may disagree ?) club teams in the world at the moment with a fantastic stable winning coaching team. Put in another way, we played a core of players that beat the All Blacks and were closest to challenged France this year. If I was asked now who is the most impressive player I’ve seen play against us this season it’s Gibson-Park.

2. The ref was dire and clueless at the scrum and breakdown (I.e Typical French international ref) but he behaved as he always does and it was the same for both teams. Leinster just played him better.

3. At the start of this season I would have been happy being solid top 6 challenging 3rd/4th place with a punchers chance at the title. Which I thought would be amazing compared to the dross we’d been only 12 months prior. Instead we’ve made a home quarter final by beating top French teams (in France!) and a resurgent Connaught, with a belief that with a fair wind we could beat Leinster. And we’ve sailed in calm seas at the top of the Prem as the team to beat, chewing up every other team at least once, and most important to me, turned Welford Road back into a fortress. Belief, togetherness, toughness, never say die - it’s not that long ago we only had that in a few isolated players among a team of individual egos and journeymen.

4. Yes, some of the youngsters have got a brutal 30 minute introduction to what the top top level is in club rugby. But some of these players where not even first XV at the start of the season and have now overtaken the “first choice” and in some cases 2nd and 3rd. It’s to their credit that there fantastic progress has become so normal that we are now disappointed when they don’t make the National team and come second best in a 20 minute shock and awe masterclass from Leinster! What I saw from our team was the very thing that assure future success; they took that first half on the chin, learnt and adapted and then made Leinster look pretty “normal” for most of the second half.

5. Blaming our players for making mistakes doesn’t give credit to the pressure Leinster put on us, not surprising for a team used to playing at pace in the limited space of Internationals. I thought Leinsters line speed in defence and finesse in attack was phenomenal. Their special awareness of each other with those no look passes, even in the forwards, was sublime. Even Borths can’t create this in a few seasons as it requires years of playing together. But what he has done is put belief in the team to the degree that they where visibly distraught at losing to Leinster. Leinster!

So in my mind, Leinster is the bar we now are aiming at and this game is just another important step to Tigers arriving back at the top. This compares to the bar at one stage being 11th in the Prem. This is the best team Tigers will face this season by a country mile and showed the younger players / reminded the “experience” what the best looks and feels like, and that includes all the Prem teams. We’ve already seen this season that Tigers hoover up lessons and improve. So a massive well done to Tigers players and coaching team today, and once again, in Steve Borthwick we Trust… 👏👏👏
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Are you being serious , calling it a poor effort from the club? Surely you are aware what we have been through the last couple of years with Covid lockdowns? Games played in empty stadia no entrance fees no food or drink income, etc etc?
The club was running on empty but still paying the players even if other staff were paid off.
Yes it annoyed me to be charged £65 for a shirt which cost a couple of quid but that's the situation we are in.
A life long Tiger
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Perhaps but may reflect the recognition we were a club up against a province and the one that hosts the bigger part of the Irish team.

The clubs may accept the TV money but sooner or later the clubs may have to say no.
Let's face it the English TV audience wants to see English clubs in fair contests.

Were the ticket prices too high or did many opt not to spend money on what many feared to be a likely mismatch?
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

The club have got wages to pay including support stewards for the matches so the ticket prices are set. People are having to make decisions with the increased living costs and have to give up a match. Hard times for some.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Greenwhiteandred »

Take the first 20 minutes out of the game - we were the better team. Not sure why it took us that long to slow the breakdown enough for us to compete but that’s what happened - maybe they took the foot off the gas but I don’t think that’s really the answer. If we’d have made less errors , taken the easy 3 points and been way more precise in the red zone - that game was more than winnable. I mean Raynal lost us more than 14 points ….. Fordy late tackle missed subsequently led to a try and the Hanro nowhere near 5 metres let alone 10 and hands in the ruck called for our knock on ….. to name a few of the many reffing errors. Did the TMO chirp for Fordy late tackle = foul play …… that’s what they are there for. Don’t know as I was at the game
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

I was at the game too, so only saw the late tackle at a distance on the big screen. But it seemed to me it was both late and a potential card for a shoulder to the chin. In the Premiership/with more scrutiny that could well have been a red.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

The issue with the tackle is whether it was late today or not it was high. That’s what’s so frustrating.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I wish we had more communication with the ref yesterday, usually we are a lot more vocal with the ref lately just pointing things out never seemed like we had a proper talk with him.