Tigers v Leinster (H) - Saturday 07th May 2022 - 5-30pm KO

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerReggie

Re: Tigers v Leinster (H) - Saturday 07th May 2022 - 5-30pm KO

Post by TigerReggie »

For me we had lost it in our heads before we even left the changing room. That first 20 was poor, not helped by the ref. Think we miss Kelly. Think Ford couldn't hit a 5m line with a banjo. Genge not great in the scrum, getting pinged 2nd half. Decision making odd at times. If our lineout is poor and Leinster reading it all day, Ford also not hitting 5m line, why are we bothering?? Go points. Start again. Massively under pressure lineout on 22 is no good. Not seen a not straight lineout called all season, then two(?) today. Sad. Scrum mostly good. Ref should listen to his T-J. Did TMO say anything all game? They usually can't keep their mouths shut. I don't have good feelings about winning the league if we can't get our heads right from the start and come out fighting. In the first 10 minutes we just needed a big big (legal of course) tackle to rev us up a bit and show we not push overs.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Well beaten today by a quality side. They didn’t have to do much in the second half, empty the bench and make a nuisance of themselves. I think that’s a massive indicator to the younger lads in terms of what is required to compete at this level. We were too hyped up and the decision making was poor. I get it from Chessum, Porter etc but not the more experienced lads. Kick for the posts….keep the scoreboard moving. Line out fell apart, one of our strengths all season. They did their homework and it didn’t work for us. Some crazy decisions…..not kicking for the posts. Hanro’s tap….Wigglesworth playing the 9….madness but caused by Leinster pressure. I think we’re at least 2-3 years away from getting anything out of a game like that. Big test now to regroup and get back k on the horse ready for the Premiership.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

I have always deplored the fact that provinces come up against clubs in European Cup games. It is not in the spirit of what it is about. Little wonder that Leinster have won it four times, with so many Irish internationals in the side. It was initially intended and still should, about clubs. Why then, should we not have English regions? No, that's not what I want, or any English rugby fan for that matter. So why do the Irish get away with it? Completely and utterly ridiculous! :smt013 :smt013
TigerReggie

Post by TigerReggie »

anz3001 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:08 pm There were 3 kickable penalties, we should have kept the score board ticking with those kicks. Particularly as the line out wasn’t going well.
Couldn't agree more. Genge got that wrong today for sure.
TigerReggie

Post by TigerReggie »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:09 pm
Pellsey wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:04 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:02 pm I also feel like todays game is the type of game you hope Pollard will come into his own with.
He's a 10 that thrives in a structure as shown by the SA games. He isn't as talented as Ford but he fits into a system and doesn't seem to struggle in the tough games basically what Farrell does with Sarries in the big games a coach tells him their job and he does it.

Kelly can fill the DDA role IMO, Moroni the Am role.

Genge is the bigger loss, but Cronin and Whitcombe both just as good in the scrum it seems like.
Completely agree! I'm so much looking forward to seeing Pollard in a Tigers shirt.
My biggest gripe with Ford today was the conservative touchfinders from hand when we had penalties int he first half. Thought he’d got past that as for much of the season he’s been aggressive

We lost some pressure at line outs as a result of being 15-20m out instead of 5m
The Leinster fans behind me couldn't believe how poor his kicks for touch were. They were shocked they were nowhere near the 5m line.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Dangerous4 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:20 pm I have always deplored the fact that provinces come up against clubs in European Cup games. It is not in the spirit of what it is about. Little wonder that Leinster have won it four times, with so many Irish internationals in the side. It was initially intended and still should, about clubs. Why then, should we not have English regions? No, that's not what I want, or any English rugby fan for that matter. So why do the Irish get away with it? Completely and utterly ridiculous! :smt013 :smt013
Always been a benefit for the Irish , used to be worse.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Dangerous4 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:20 pm I have always deplored the fact that provinces come up against clubs in European Cup games. It is not in the spirit of what it is about. Little wonder that Leinster have won it four times, with so many Irish internationals in the side. It was initially intended and still should, about clubs. Why then, should we not have English regions? No, that's not what I want, or any English rugby fan for that matter. So why do the Irish get away with it? Completely and utterly ridiculous! :smt013 :smt013
Our starting line up;

1. Genge - international
2. Montoya - international
3. Cole - international
4. Chessum - international
5. Green - uncapped
6. Liebenburg - uncapped
7. Reffell - uncapped
8. Weise - international
9. Youngs - international
10. Ford - international
11. Potter - uncapped
12. Porter - uncapped
13. Moroni - international
14. Ashton - international
15. Steward - international

So we had ten starting that have international caps. The whole provinces have an advantage thing is overstated. We sent out rotated sides to beat Connacht this season. What Leinster have benefited from is keep their key players together over a period of time, utilising their well run academy to its fullest and keeping good quality coaching set ups in place for extended periods.

In recent times there only poor season was with MOC at the helm and with Sexton gone on his sabbatical to France. They fixed that and rebuilt and have kept on going. We've had our rebuild but we aren't as far along the development process as Leinster.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

The biggest embarrassment was not the play on the pitch it was Tigers persisting with trying to get folks to sing along to that dire band and cringingly bad song. Not to mention the band striking up playing god know what hroughout the game. Can't think what Leincester fans made over the pre match karaoke. Rant over :smt012
Last edited by sapajo on Sat May 07, 2022 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

sapajo wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:49 pm The biggest embarrassment was not the play on the pitch it was Tigers yet again persisting with trying to get folks to sing along to that dire band and cringingly bad song. :smt013
Organised fun….the worst. Would like to have seen JVP come on to replace Youngs, but I think Borthwick hoped Wiggy would come on with the scores tight to control the game. Sadly, he’s not ideal when you’re 16 points odd down. Potter and Porter will learn from that game….it was a step up.
TigerReggie

Post by TigerReggie »

sapajo wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:49 pm The biggest embarrassment was not the play on the pitch it was Tigers yet again persisting with trying to get folks to sing along to that dire band and cringingly bad song. :smt013

I hate it I hate it I hate it. Why? Why? Why? Bring back Shiny Happy People or even Katy :censored: Perry.
thebearisstilldeano
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by thebearisstilldeano »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:28 pm
Our starting line up;

1. Genge - international
3. Cole - international
5. Green - uncapped
6. Liebenburg - uncapped
7. Reffell - uncapped
8. Weise - international
10. Ford - international
11. Potter - uncapped
12. Porter - uncapped

So we had ten starting that have international caps. The whole provinces have an advantage thing is overstated. We sent out rotated sides to beat Connacht this season. What Leinster have benefited from is keep their key players together over a period of time, utilising their well run academy to its fullest and keeping good quality coaching set ups in place for extended periods.

In recent times there only poor season was with MOC at the helm and with Sexton gone on his sabbatical to France. They fixed that and rebuilt and have kept on going. We've had our rebuild but we aren't as far along the development process as Leinster.
Imho Sam you've gone all apples and oranges. The Leinster internationals are all in the same national side. Ours are spread across three. And remember, rugby is a team game. (Said for clarification and discussion, not confrontation ).
I used to sit near a stalker and we want him back "kick for the corner!!!!"
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Our starting line up;

1. Genge - international
3. Cole - international
5. Green - uncapped
6. Liebenburg - uncapped
7. Reffell - uncapped
8. Weise - international
10. Ford - international
11. Potter - uncapped
12. Porter - uncapped

But .....their side was made up of players who are regularly and currently involved at the top level. Our are a bit more "Mixed".

1.Genge - international, current
2. Montoya - international,
3. Cole - international, past
4. Chessum - international, just
5. Green - uncapped
6. Liebenburg - uncapped
7. Reffell - uncapped, but should be
8. Weise - international
10. Ford - international, past?
11. Potter - uncapped
12. Porter - uncapped
13. Moroni - international, on the fringes?
14. Ashton - international, past.

OK, Devil's advocate being played.....The only squad full of current international class from England to do any good in recent times was Sarries.........and we know what that cost!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

thebearisstilldeano wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:55 pm
Our starting line up;

1. Genge - international
3. Cole - international
5. Green - uncapped
6. Liebenburg - uncapped
7. Reffell - uncapped
8. Weise - international
10. Ford - international
11. Potter - uncapped
12. Porter - uncapped

Imho Sam you've gone all apples and oranges. The Leinster internationals are all in the same national side. Ours are spread across three. And remember, rugby is a team game. (Said for clarification and discussion, not confrontation ).
Forgot to make that point. Current internationals playing for the same team.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

TigerReggie wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:54 pm

I hate it I hate it I hate it. Why? Why? Why? Bring back Shiny Happy People or even Katy :censored: Perry.
Seems a certain group of supporters are trying to impose their idea of what they want at a match and they have hooked Chris Rose who has happily swallowed the bait hook line and sinker.
Last edited by sapajo on Sat May 07, 2022 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Bluelion

Post by Bluelion »

Hello Tigers!
Just having a read of your post-match reactions while on the 777 to Birmingham after the match.

Now, in the stands you see stuff that you don't see when watching at home and vice versa so bear with me.

I can't really comment on the breakdown as it's just too far away to observe the dark arts nor the potential late hit on Ford as I was obviously following the ball, but a couple of observations if I may.

1. Cup rugby, take your points. You left too many 3s out there which may have made a difference.

2. The lineout throws were crooked. One of them laughably so from up the the North Stand directly in line

3. Who's your attack coach? Back play was predictable and easy to read. Just skip passes. No nuance or real deception that would make the Leinster defence bit in.

4. I feel like Leinster didn't really get out of 3rd gear. Got 20-0 up (because you didn't take 3s when on offer) meaning they could manage the 2nd half and the inevitable Roger's purple patch.

5. Handling. The unforced errors and knock ons killed you at key moments.

Anyway, will looked forward to rewatching when I get back home.

Love Leicester town centre and the banter and singing by 99.99% of Tigers around us. Shout out to Deano!!!