Tigers v Leinster (H) - Saturday 07th May 2022 - 5-30pm KO

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Leinster (H) - Saturday 07th May 2022 - 5-30pm KO

Post by Pellsey »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 7:46 pm We improved as the game went on, we learnt on the job. There's some young guys who will be better players for losing that game. It was a tough reminder of where we are aiming to be Vs where we are currently. Leinster are a class act and have been at the top of European rugby for years and not by accident.

I think blaming Ford is odd, he had a decent game. What we missed was Kelly, the intensity of him in defence being in effect another flanker. That's what we really needed and why Nadolo came on and played quite central at times, in the build up Ashton's try he was like a 9th forward. Gopperth coming in next season will give us more defensive intensity at 12 which will help.

Great to have Martin back, thought he made a good impact off the bench. Physically imposed himself on the opposition forwards well.
Completely agree with everything here. The youngsters especially will learn a lot from this experiece. And as I said, this is a wake up call for the Prem knock outs.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Honestly we could've taken Leinster today.
I don't think the squads was that much different.

Kelly start at centre and Van Staden at flank.
Leinster were good but we didn't play till after 40. They had plenty of weak spots we just didn't have the confidence.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

RagingBull wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 7:50 pm Honestly we could've taken Leinster today.

Leinster were good but we didn't play till after 40. They had plenty of weak spots we just didn't have the confidence.
This was why we lost it in the first 20 mins, exactly!

I agree though, had our heads been right (as with sir's), then we would have had a better chance.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

There was a large gap between the teams and it's not just the Province's much bigger budget and playing squad.
They were able to rest all their best players for two weeks leading up to the game.
Their coaching staff number 32!
There is an increasing distance between a province and a club.
A life long Tiger
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I also feel like todays game is the type of game you hope Pollard will come into his own with.
He's a 10 that thrives in a structure as shown by the SA games. He isn't as talented as Ford but he fits into a system and doesn't seem to struggle in the tough games basically what Farrell does with Sarries in the big games a coach tells him their job and he does it.

Kelly can fill the DDA role IMO, Moroni the Am role.

Genge is the bigger loss, but Cronin and Whitcombe both just as good in the scrum it seems like.
Last edited by RagingBull on Sat May 07, 2022 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Smudge wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 7:58 pm There is an increasing distance between a province and a club.
I don't buy this, especially if you look at Scotland or Wales, and Munster 'lost' tonight against a club too. Leinster is just the Irish Team, who are one of the best International teams in the world..
TiltonTiger

Post by TiltonTiger »

I like to think I am (mostly) objective when watching a game. Leinster handed it to us in the first half. I think if we had got something from the early pressure when we had a whole bunch o phases we might have got somewhere. They out played us in the first half completely. We were the better team in the second half

The referee was an absolute disgrace.

Possibly the best bit was the smirk Sexton gave us in the Crumbie after about 20 minutes. Showed how much he appreciated the occasion. And a great show from the Leinster fans.

All I wanted last September was top 6 in the Prem. and today I wonder what might have been against one of the world’s great club sides (international teams).

Up the Tigers
Last edited by TiltonTiger on Sat May 07, 2022 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

RagingBull wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:02 pm I also feel like todays game is the type of game you hope Pollard will come into his own with.
He's a 10 that thrives in a structure as shown by the SA games. He isn't as talented as Ford but he fits into a system and doesn't seem to struggle in the tough games basically what Farrell does with Sarries in the big games a coach tells him their job and he does it.

Genge is the bigger loss, but Cronin and Whitcombe both just as good in the scrum it seems like.
Completely agree! I'm so much looking forward to seeing Pollard in a Tigers shirt.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Thought it was a poor decision at 20-7 not to kick for posts too. You take it to 20-10 and then nerves start creeping in. Poor decision!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Pellsey wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 7:53 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 7:50 pm Honestly we could've taken Leinster today.

This was why we lost it in the first 20 mins, exactly!

I agree though, had our heads been right (as with sir's), then we would have had a better chance.
Can't go on the what if's but today was such a fine margin between really close game and Leinster being out of sight first half.

If any of the following had been called in our favour it would probably have been a different game...
- the late hit on Ford
- the clock not being in the red and allowing us the attacking line out end of the first half
- 2 scrum penalties to us called by the assistant ignored by Raynal
- blatant hands in the ruck on the floor 5m from the Leinster try line not spotted by any of the officials

MVS and Kelly would have definitely made a difference today but that's the way it goes..

The lads will take a lot from this game no doubt. If we had Nigel Owens on the whistle I'd say that game goes down to the wire... as it was we went 17-0 down early doors with a combination of excellent play by Leinster, nervous errors by us and some questionable calls from the referee and it was just too much to claw back against one of the best sides in Europe.

I hope we can rally and get back on track in the Premiership now.. we are well ahead of where any of us expected to be and the turnaround has been impressive.. but a heavy loss to Irish and the loss today means we have dropped out of 2 competitions in as many weeks and Sarries are definitely finding some fantastic form. Having been fighting on 3 fronts we can now (sadly) focus on the Premiership and make sure we end on a high and reward Borthwick, Walters, Sinfield and Co's fantastic efforts in getting us to where we are today..

Onwards and upwards..
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

There were 3 kickable penalties, we should have kept the score board ticking with those kicks. Particularly as the line out wasn’t going well.
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

Pellsey wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:04 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:02 pm I also feel like todays game is the type of game you hope Pollard will come into his own with.

Completely agree! I'm so much looking forward to seeing Pollard in a Tigers shirt.
My biggest gripe with Ford today was the conservative touchfinders from hand when we had penalties int he first half. Thought he’d got past that as for much of the season he’s been aggressive

We lost some pressure at line outs as a result of being 15-20m out instead of 5m
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

if we had swapped Ford for Pollard today I suspect Pollard would have been at 12 given the options available
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

anz3001 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:08 pm There were 3 kickable penalties, we should have kept the score board ticking with those kicks. Particularly as the line out wasn’t going well.
Yep!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Scott1 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:11 pm
anz3001 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:08 pm There were 3 kickable penalties, we should have kept the score board ticking with those kicks. Particularly as the line out wasn’t going well.
Yep!
Or if we had scored tries, we would have been closer. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. That said, as our lineout was not functioning well, I tend to agree with you!