Tigers v Leinster (H) - Saturday 07th May 2022 - 5-30pm KO

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Leinster (H) - Saturday 07th May 2022 - 5-30pm KO

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

EOS is anti Tigers, simple as, this is the man who wouldn't select GM.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I too am concerned about how few tickets have been sold .. is this to do with the late announcement of when the match was to be played? I for one, rarely miss a home game especially one of this importance and one so rare in recent years. However I had a prior engagement and cannot go. Friday or Sunday ( match days I normally dislike) I could have gone and regular kick off Saturday 3pm could just about have been acceptable at a squeeze but 5.30pm kick off did for me on this occasion. Are others in the same boat?
There seems a lot of tickets still unsold 770 on the terrace for example and loads of gaps in almost all seating areas. Is it the price of tickets in these days of rapid cost of living rises, can people simply not afford life’s little extras anymore?
A partially full stadium and an enthusiastic travelling support spells trouble for me, and I am very worried about it. I cannot bear the thought we will be out shouted in our own backyard and please tell me Welford Road will not be awash with the mass waving blue free flags we once saw on that fateful day in Murrayfield when our European dreams were so cruelly dashed in the past.
I think a fire sale of remaining tickets to the local clubs to boost the Green Red and white faithful may be the clubs only option in the next 2 days!

A plea to those who go .. please shout long and hard and loud until you have no voice left until the final whistle, because I know for a fact those Leinster Lads and lasses surely will!
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

MCC1964 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:54 pm Interesting that there still seem to be loads of seats available for the game. I sometimes struggle to buy additional seats near to where I sit usually, but for this game (and around the ground) that doesn’t seem to be an issue.
I purchased our usual seats and then an extra ticket when more seats where released. The price for both our tickets and the extra ticket made me waiver a little, especially when you take in to account this is on top of the outlay for season tickets. For me it was a rare heart rules head wallet moment. Fortunately, the recipient of the extra ticket is also a lifelong fan and ex ST holder. A few casual fans who join us occasionally said they couldn’t justify the outlay and would watch it on tv.

I am sure these conversations are mirrored elsewhere. With household income under pressure on both sides of the Irish Sea, it’s not unsurprising there are still empty seats.

I don’t blame Tigers for this - they have to try a monetise such games as much as possible - this really is time to make hay off the pitch as well as on it. And I really hope there is a last minute rush. The business balancing act is a fine one and they are battling significant wider economic headwinds. Though my worry is in the current state and future of rugby itself. Empty seats are not the greatest showcase, especially when its two teams riding high with some of the largest fan bases in rugby.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

aslongaswebeatsaints wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 11:03 am
MCC1964 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:54 pm Interesting that there still seem to be loads of seats available for the game. I sometimes struggle to buy additional seats near to where I sit usually, but for this game (and around the ground) that doesn’t seem to be an issue.
I purchased our usual seats and then an extra ticket when more seats where released. The price for both our tickets and the extra ticket made me waiver a little, especially when you take in to account this is on top of the outlay for season tickets. For me it was a rare heart rules head wallet moment. Fortunately, the recipient of the extra ticket is also a lifelong fan and ex ST holder. A few casual fans who join us occasionally said they couldn’t justify the outlay and would watch it on tv.

I am sure these conversations are mirrored elsewhere. With household income under pressure on both sides of the Irish Sea, it’s not unsurprising there are still empty seats.

I don’t blame Tigers for this - they have to try a monetise such games as much as possible - this really is time to make hay off the pitch as well as on it. And I really hope there is a last minute rush. The business balancing act is a fine one and they are battling significant wider economic headwinds. Though my worry is in the current state and future of rugby itself. Empty seats are not the greatest showcase, especially when its two teams riding high with some of the largest fan bases in rugby.
Think a fair chunk of the market for these tickets will be arriving back from Roma too.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

I tried to buy terrace tickets on the first day they were released for general sale. They were sold out, so I had to buy tickets elsewhere and there were so few seats available in the new stand (clubhouse end) that we couldn't get 5 together and one of my sons is sitting right behind us.

Now on looking, there are terrace tickets available and loads of seats.......I can only assume that when I looked, loads of places were still being reserved for ST holders.

The amount of seats available is almost embarrassing for such a big game. So yes i do blame the Club for not taking into account how much peoples incomes are being squeezed, and pricing the tickets too high for a significant amount of fans.

There's always a balance between cost and the number of tickets that are sold, in this instance it looks like Tigers have got it badly wrong.
Soggypitch
bendy

Post by bendy »

Soggypitch wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:24 pm I tried to buy terrace tickets on the first day they were released for general sale. They were sold out, so I had to buy tickets elsewhere and there were so few seats available in the new stand (clubhouse end) that we couldn't get 5 together and one of my sons is sitting right behind us.

Now on looking, there are terrace tickets available and loads of seats.......I can only assume that when I looked, loads of places were still being reserved for ST holders.

The amount of seats available is almost embarrassing for such a big game. So yes i do blame the Club for not taking into account how much peoples incomes are being squeezed, and pricing the tickets too high for a significant amount of fans.

There's always a balance between cost and the number of tickets that are sold, in this instance it looks like Tigers have got it badly wrong.

Slightly off topic, but Tigers ticket office will happily move your extra tickets closer to you if there are still seats available - I did this earlier this week. The girl in the ticket office was very helpful, I had the new tickets in my email inbox before I'd even finished the call, and no extra cost.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Couple of points.

Last time we were in Champions Cup knockout stages, there were thousands of empty seats. It's nothing new. Maybe this time will be worse, we will have to wait and see.

Yes there is a cost of living crisis, but those exact same costs also affect businesses so there is also a cost of doing business crisis.
SthrnTiger

Post by SthrnTiger »

Looking at website there’s about 5000 seats still available in total. Of course ideally a sell out but if get an attendance of around 20000 think Tigers will be happy and see as success commercially given didn’t expect this game at start of season so a decent amount of extra cash.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

SthrnTiger wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:01 pm Looking at website there’s about 5000 seats still available in total. Of course ideally a sell out but if get an attendance of around 20000 think Tigers will be happy and see as success commercially given didn’t expect this game at start of season so a decent amount of extra cash.
Our last Champions Cup knockout match at Welford Road was attended by 20,866.
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

RE The Eddie O’Sullivan article, I’d print it out and stick up in the Tigers dressing room

Makes the pre match team talk pretty simple - look at what the Irish are saying about us, let’s go out and show them how good we are
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I think EOS is probably right in his conclusion that Leinster are favourites, but that doesn't take a genius to work out.

Really all we've learnt from that article is that EOS doesn't watch a lot of European rugby, or even bother looking at team sheets, he just gives "expert" opinion based on some results he found on Google.

Using the EOS method, you could argue that Leinster are being given too much credit and aren't really very good because they lost to Cardiff earlier in the season and that shows they are actually rubbish. Of course anyone with a few brain cells will understand that it was the Leinster 2nd/3rd team and therefore the result has no relevance to the fixture this weekend.
manxleigh

Post by manxleigh »

Quick question. Where is good to park near WR? Coming up from Surrey and haven’t had to park before. Got 3 kids in tire so want to be closeish. Cheers
keep dreaming and you'll keep wondering
LeinsterBlue

Post by LeinsterBlue »

What O'Sullivan was saying in the podcast was you have a very good club side playing against a very good international side - should be only one winner, I only wish rugby was as simple as that!! He went on to say, if you want to try and gauge what level each side are currently at, look at their respective performances against Connacht. Imho if both teams are 'allowed to play' to their potential I think Leinster win, so what do Leicester need to do to win:

1. Fiercely contest every breakdown and try and slow Leinster ball legally - if Leicester can't slow Leinster ball they are not going to win this match. Easier said than done given Ireland/Leinster generate the fastest ruck ball of any international side.

2. Boss the scrum - will make for intriguing viewing to see how Furlong and Genge fair up given Furlong was beasted whilst playing against England/Genge, only for Reynal to admit post match that half of his scrum penalties against Furlong were wrong! And guess who is the ref this week, I wonder who might get the 50:50 calls this time around.

3. Take all your chances and hope Leinster don't take some of theirs.

4. Avoid yellow/red cards - same applies to Leinster.

Cannot travel for the match this week, would be gutted to lose but would not begrudge Leicester if they manage to pull off what would be a stunning win. Godd to see Leicester back in the mix, enjoy!
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

The closest is probably the NCp that is on Welford Road itself that you access from Mill lane but you would need to get there early I suspect
OliverS

Post by OliverS »

I'd suggest paying a little more (£8) and buy car parking from the club ticket page, then you have a guaranteed space after a long journey and fairly close to the stadium.

We park in East St. NCP for £6 but it is a one mile walk.