Gibson-Park

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Pmvl
Top Cat
Top Cat

Gibson-Park

Post by Pmvl »

I've not seen the incident but have read about it on here, below is the decision from epcrugby panel

Jamison Gibson-Park citing dismissed

A citing complaint against the Leinster Rugby replacement scrum half, Jamison Gibson-Park, arising from his club’s Heineken Champions Cup, Round of 16 1st leg match against Connacht Rugby at The Sportsground has been dismissed following an independent Disciplinary Hearing by video conference.

Gibson-Park was cited by the match Citing Commissioner, Maurizio Vancini (Italy), for allegedly tackling the Connacht Rugby scrum half, Kieran Marmion, in a dangerous manner in the 56th minute of the match in contravention of Law 9.13.

Law 9.13 A player must not tackle an opponent dangerously
Under World Rugby’s Sanctions for Foul Play, Law 9.13 relating to dangerous tackling carries the following sanction entry points – Low End: 2 weeks; Mid-range: 6 weeks; Top end: 10 to 52 weeks.

The independent Disciplinary Committee comprising Philippe Cavalieros (France), chair, Yannick Jauzion (France) and Mitchell Read (England), considered video imagery of the incident and heard submissions from Gibson-Park, who did not accept that his act of foul play warranted a red card, from the player’s legal representative, Derek Hegarty, from the Leinster Rugby Head of Rugby Operations, Guy Easterby, and from the EPCR Disciplinary Officer, Liam McTiernan.

While the committee determined that Gibson-Park had committed an act of foul play, it found that his action involved a low degree of force which did not warrant a red card. The citing complaint was therefore dismissed and Gibson-Park is free to play.

EPCR have the right to appeal the decision.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Gibson-Park

Post by Rugbygramps »

Wow I really don’t see how they have come to that conclusion. Let’s hope Guy Porter gets the same degree of leniency
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

A sensible and logical decision, Marmion dropped height at last second while G-P targeted the ball/chest with a passive tackle. Hate to see a red card for that mitigation. I hope the disciplinary committee see sense for Porter as he wasn't making a tackle but was (successfully) cutting out the pass, still a bit reckless but also collateral.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Sorry. Couldn’t agree less.

What gets me is the similarity between this incident and Curtis Rona on Weise. Both defenders (defendants might be better) moving at slow speed, both second tacklers with limited access to the ball carrier, both raise their shoulders making contact with a running players face, but the one who breaks a nose gets off while the other sees red, and presumably got a ban, though I haven’t seen details.

Ridiculous.
Last edited by loretta on Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

It’s the force issue that may go against Porter. No matter how different posters feel that force was generated, it was a high force collision
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

It would appear the Committee felt it worthy of a Yellow though.

Yannick Jauzion on the panel no less.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Seems the outcome of these hearing are a complete coin flip, I must say the low force comments ring a bit hollow when the other chap broke his nose.

Also I would not be holding my breath over Potter having his red reduced down to a yellow or overturned, best outcome would be a small ban and hope to get it reduced down further.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Is this the same panel that are hearing Porters disciplinary? It will also depend upon whether Guy accepts or challenges the charge.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Tigerbeat wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:06 am Is this the same panel that are hearing Porters disciplinary? It will also depend upon whether Guy accepts or challenges the charge.
IMO they would be foolish to challenge the card, I think a guilty pleas and accept the finding with hopefully a reduced sentence is the best bet
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

One of my biggest bugbears is the "low force" thing as its all relative, we've seen smaller guys (Faf multiple times, Aled Davies vs Ford) get away with stuff previously because they simply don't generate the same amount of force as a bigger player, you either want to remove head contact or not IMO
Pmvl
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Pmvl »

Potters committee is, Roger Morris (Wales), chair, David Humphreys (Ireland) and Frank Hadden (Scotland), have been appointed as the independent Disciplinary Committee for the hearing which will take place by video conference this evening (Wednesday, 13 April).
Gibson_Park the independent Disciplinary Committee comprising Philippe Cavalieros (France), chair, Yannick Jauzion (France) and Mitchell Read (England).
Whoknows how these people vary in their outlook
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Well that's changed my mind, Porter's red card was absolutely ridiculous and sir shouldn't get the whistle again, could have unfairly cost us the match!
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
MrG2

Post by MrG2 »

Is Mitchell Read the ex Tigers lad
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

Rona looked to step forward and up swinging his shoulder. Gibson-Park seemed to step sideways and also move his shoulder in. Slightly more passive but still moving shoulder into head. It seems a big difference in penalty. Porter is more accidental but had the most impact on the other player. If Lee did move his line but Porter is in front of the ball then it is difficult to predict the interpretation. A 20 min red card substitution for head contact and full red only for the old style intentional malice may be the best approach to even up the outcome. 10mins vs 4weeks+ seems too big a difference to me.
TigerXV

Post by TigerXV »

Tigerbeat wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:06 am Is this the same panel that are hearing Porters disciplinary? It will also depend upon whether Guy accepts or challenges the charge.
i understand the rules have changed re pleading not guilty at hearings negatively effecting the outcome penalty. It doesn't (or shouldn't) make any difference now to the result so a not guilty plea allows for proper debate.