Time to Sing

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Re: Time to Sing

Post by trendylfj »

Would love to bring my cornet and start it off - as an ex music teacher my only comment is that the 3rd line IMHO would be better with 2 lots of Leicester Tigers. You would then be asking "Leicester Tigers, Leicester Tigers, take me home to Welford Road" - just an opinion but seems to make more sense to me. Having said that - there is absolutely no chance of anyone singing anything other than the chorus - too much to learn and very few would do that.
Hehehehehehehehe
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Go on. Do it!

I’d go with repeat Leicester Tigers on the 3rd line too, and the chorus alone would be just fine. I’d also suggest a few warm up sessions in the pubs beforehand to spread the word
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

This is a great idea!
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

It'd be great if this could be mentioned on Radio Leicester Rugby Show this evening too. I've had a look on BBC RLRS webpage for contact details, but couldn't see a contact link. Any ideas?
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

loretta wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:49 am It'd be great if this could be mentioned on Radio Leicester Rugby Show this evening too. I've had a look on BBC RLRS webpage for contact details, but couldn't see a contact link. Any ideas?
Adam Whitty is the presenter of the show on Radio Leicester. You could try his email at [email protected]
Worth a try.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Tigerbeat wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:56 am
loretta wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:49 am It'd be great if this could be mentioned on Radio Leicester Rugby Show this evening too. I've had a look on BBC RLRS webpage for contact details, but couldn't see a contact link. Any ideas?
Adam Whitty is the presenter of the show on Radio Leicester. You could try his email at [email protected]
Worth a try.
Done
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Tigerbeat wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:56 am
Worth a try.
I also tagged him in my Twitter post about it last night
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Knightonian

Post by Knightonian »

TigerCam wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:27 pm Apologies to John Denver (Country Roads) and Pithhead

Almost heaven, Welford Road
Where our Tigers, have played forever
Life’s the best there, one big family
Young and old together, cheering on our team

Welford Road, take me home
To the place I belong

Leicester Tigers, you’re the greatest
Take me home, to Welford Road

All the memories, since 1880
All the players, that have come and gone
Premier Cup wins, we have plenty
Europeans, we have two

To the place I belong

We’ll raise our voices, to drive the lads along
“Come on you Tigers”, chanted 80 minutes long
When the game is over, no matter win or lose
We support the greatest, in the red white and green

To the place I belong
Take me home, down to Welford Road
Take me home, down to Welford Road
This is fantastic and I will share with my dad who for the last 35 years has been writing to the tigers, mercury and anyone who would listen in the crumble of the need for our own song

Whilst I may not be able to make it I know they will sing with gusto
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Ok, so I sent an email to Adam Whitty. This is the reply (minus my name, to save my blushes)

Hi xxxxxx,

Thanks for getting in touch! Yeah I heard it, it was quite a moment, and saw about this campaign. We'll try to mention it tonight if we get the time!

I'll look forward to hearing it on Saturday!

Adam
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

The cornet is a great idea 👍
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

Hi all

Been on this forum a long time, but more latterly better known as Mike from the Rolling Maul podcast. We’ll be promoting this the day before and the day of the game.

Like all of you I’ve been a fan for a long time (I’ll concede experience to some!!) but this is genuinely the best chance we’ve ever had for a song. Def start with just the chorus, it’s simple, it’s catchy, and with just a crowd singing it without music it has enough soaring notes to get the hairs standing on the back of the neck.

Like most of you who dabble with watching the football will know, the best chants start organically and it sounds like this one did at Clermont. With rugby and how traditional the crowds are, we will need to give it a bit of “encouragement” to get it to catch on at home.

I hate forcing these things but an anthemic song is something Welford Road frankly needs. It’s one of the best old grounds in World Rugby and we all know it hasn’t been rocking like it can recently despite the boys more than doing their bit on the pitch.

Some of these have already been mentioned but I’d politely suggest the following:

1. Those of you on the terrace who are keen on this, arrange to stand together, even if it is in pods of 10/20 dotted about. It has to start as a group and can’t be in 2s or 3s or it won’t be coordinated and won’t catch on. Elliot and I will be stood front half of the terrace between the 22 and tryline on the Alliance & Leicester end - welcome to join us there!

2. If we’re agreed on lyrics, and you count yourself as leader of this, I’d genuinely suggest you think about getting a big bit of card with the words on like a protester. That way people around you might be more keen to join in if you hold it up during the first rendition.

3. Already been mentioned, but anyone with a bugle or trumpet who can trot out the tune could be super helpful too!

Suspect all of the above sounds like I’m a) preaching to the converted and b) sucking the fun out of this, but like I say a traditional crowd probably needs some organised encouragement!

If any of you guys agree terrace “pods” for singers, a moment when you’ll first give it a blast (eg saw someone say as we await the kick off after scoring our first points), let me know and we’ll try to spread the word on Twitter! Also, are we just saying Leicester Tigers twice on the third line now instead of “Leicester Tigers, right beside us”? Prefer the latter but understand the need to make it ultra simple!

Cheers, I’m off to start my vocal exercises.

Mike
Tigers till I die

www.ruckedover.blogspot.com
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

iceman_19 wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:44 pm Hi all

Been on this forum a long time, but more latterly better known as Mike from the Rolling Maul podcast. We’ll be promoting this the day before and the day of the game.

Like all of you I’ve been a fan for a long time (I’ll concede experience to some!!) but this is genuinely the best chance we’ve ever had for a song. Def start with just the chorus, it’s simple, it’s catchy, and with just a crowd singing it without music it has enough soaring notes to get the hairs standing on the back of the neck.

Like most of you who dabble with watching the football will know, the best chants start organically and it sounds like this one did at Clermont. With rugby and how traditional the crowds are, we will need to give it a bit of “encouragement” to get it to catch on at home.

I hate forcing these things but an anthemic song is something Welford Road frankly needs. It’s one of the best old grounds in World Rugby and we all know it hasn’t been rocking like it can recently despite the boys more than doing their bit on the pitch.

Some of these have already been mentioned but I’d politely suggest the following:

1. Those of you on the terrace who are keen on this, arrange to stand together, even if it is in pods of 10/20 dotted about. It has to start as a group and can’t be in 2s or 3s or it won’t be coordinated and won’t catch on. Elliot and I will be stood front half of the terrace between the 22 and tryline on the Alliance & Leicester end - welcome to join us there!

2. If we’re agreed on lyrics, and you count yourself as leader of this, I’d genuinely suggest you think about getting a big bit of card with the words on like a protester. That way people around you might be more keen to join in if you hold it up during the first rendition.

3. Already been mentioned, but anyone with a bugle or trumpet who can trot out the tune could be super helpful too!

Suspect all of the above sounds like I’m a) preaching to the converted and b) sucking the fun out of this, but like I say a traditional crowd probably needs some organised encouragement!

If any of you guys agree terrace “pods” for singers, a moment when you’ll first give it a blast (eg saw someone say as we await the kick off after scoring our first points), let me know and we’ll try to spread the word on Twitter! Also, are we just saying Leicester Tigers twice on the third line now instead of “Leicester Tigers, right beside us”? Prefer the latter but understand the need to make it ultra simple!

Mike
Great idea with the big bit of card, in the past I've used backing card from an art shop, the A0 bits are about 4 quid from memory, and I've used an 8mm paint pen to great effect (yes, that was me at the first game back). Shouldnt have any problems getting in the gate with it, I haven't when I've brough these in in the past. Sadly I can't be there on Saturday or I would have been so equiped.
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
shanghaitiger
Tiger Cub

Post by shanghaitiger »

Mike
I sit in block L of the Crumbie so pretty close to you. Love the pod btw! Which lyrics are we actually agreeing on?
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

shanghaitiger wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:02 am

Mike
I sit in block L of the Crumbie so pretty close to you. Love the pod btw! Which lyrics are we actually agreeing on?
Version I've seen most agreement on is;

It's a place I belong
Leicester Tigers, right beside me
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Crofty wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:25 am
shanghaitiger wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:02 am

Mike
Version I've seen most agreement on is;

It's a place I belong
Leicester Tigers, right beside me
That's what I've seen most!
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.