Time to Sing

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TiltonTiger

Re: Time to Sing

Post by TiltonTiger »

What's the provenance of Smoke on the Water for the runout music? Was Eye of the Tiger just too on the nose?
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

I believe it was suggested by Johnno as suitably rousing.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

TiltonTiger wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:41 pm What's the provenance of Smoke on the Water for the runout music? Was Eye of the Tiger just too on the nose?
Legend has it Johnno suggested it but it was a decision of the players in the 2000/01 season that they needed something to run out to, at least according to the website, and that the DJ of the time introduced Smoke on the Water.

https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/ti ... 2015-07-21
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

MCC1964 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:29 am Much as I’m going to sound like a party pooper, the lyrics seem to be addressed to the club ground asking that club ground to take us ‘back home’ to that same club ground when in fact we are already there? Put it this way, when I was explaining this to those around me I got a few odd looks!
First, boooo party pooper. :smt031

Second, and more seriously, is not one of the roads upon which the stadium is situated called Welford Road, and therefore might it not be the road that brings us home to our stadium as it were?
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

non possumus capere
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

What are you on about ?
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

The logical consistency of the reworked lyrics to Take Me Home, Country Roads that was being sung by some of the fans at both legs of the Claremont fixture and that some of us want to make a permanent feature of the atmosphere at Welford Road.
No, not that one!

non possumus capere
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Crofty wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:02 pm The logical consistency of the reworked lyrics to Take Me Home, Country Roads that was being sung by some of the fans at both legs of the Claremont fixture and that some of us want to make a permanent feature of the atmosphere at Welford Road.

Do not see a problem here, so sing away with your new anthem :smt023
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

To me , neither a problem nor an issue - each to their own...
Do feel though that some are trying a little too hard to make things happen rather than let things happen. If it's taken up by a crowd then so be it , if not , then let it lie.
Sounding ridiculous in either written word or in song is not overly desirable
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

kk20gb30 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:43 am To me , neither a problem nor an issue - each to their own...
Do feel though that some are trying a little too hard to make things happen rather than let things happen. If it's taken up by a crowd then so be it , if not , then let it lie.
A lot less stupid than Swing Low IMO. But then I am a Jerusalem fan for England, what do I know (except the actions are fun too).
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

kk20gb30 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:43 am To me , neither a problem nor an issue - each to their own...
Agreed if it happens it happens, if not then let it lie. You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make it drink :smt023
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

sapajo wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:10 am
Agreed if it happens it happens, if not then let it lie. You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make it drink :smt023
Still got to lead it there...
No, not that one!

non possumus capere
JeffBadland
Tiger Cub

Post by JeffBadland »

I personally quite enjoyed the singing. I think it would be a great addition to the atmosphere on match days. Sometimes the traditional nature of rugby crowds is a liability, and this is one of those times.
Ashurstwoodtiger

Post by Ashurstwoodtiger »

Maybe if sung at some away grounds (Wasps etc) words would make complete sense as we belong at Welford Road sorry MWWR.