Local recommendations

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

LeinsterGuest

Local recommendations

Post by LeinsterGuest »

Hi all,

A few of us are making the trip from Ireland to Leicester for Saturday's game. Never been before so any advice on best pubs to go to before/after the game would be great.

thanks
Adrian
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Local recommendations

Post by Rugbygramps »

Be great to see you, but aren’t you a round too early ??
LeinsterGuest

Post by LeinsterGuest »

Just fancied a change of scenery tbh and ticking off another stadium we've visited.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

If you're getting off the train pop next door and start off at The Parcelyard,enjoy!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Pmvl
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Pmvl »

Hi there Leinster Guest, the Kings Head on King street is a extremely good place to drink, they have all types of beers draft & keg, there's also the Blue Boar on Millstone Lane but this is purely a real ale pub, if you want to try a "Leicester Irish bar" you could always try Duffy's bar on Pocklingtons Walk.
All the best
Cheers
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

And don’t forget we have many good curry houses, quite a few within walking distance of the ground. I’ve heard Mowgli is very good but never been myself
LeinsterGuest

Post by LeinsterGuest »

Thanks, guys. That'll keep us busy.
Best of luck in the game.
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

The Salmon is a good rugby boozer
On Millstone Lane you’ve got the Blue Boar, Rutland and Derby and Two Tailed Lion if you like ale

Craft Ale wise I’d head to Brewdog and Tonne Bar which are pretty close together

Curry House wise - London Road has your standard fare usually all of a standard. If you fancy authentic then go Kayal (seafood) or Shivalli (veggie) or one of the many Balti Houses around - personally I like Jamal on Braunstone Gate

Italian - go Mauricio’s on Belvoir Street

Cocktails - Inside No. 9, 45 West is good spot for local Burleighs Tigers gin and 33 Cank Street are good as is Manhattan 34 near the Curve Theatre - I’ve not been but Brick and Beam is supposed to be decent in that Theatre area too.

All the above are dotted around all over the shop so if you are getting in on the train then the aforementioned idea of starting at the Parcel Yard and gathering your thoughts might not be a bad shout!
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Lead off pint after getting off the train I'd highly recommend a pint of Tiger in the Barley Mow on Granby Street, recommend Santhi as a curry house pretty much exactly opposite it too. The Sir Robert Peel on Jarrom St is good for a post match pint too.

If you're looking for something unusual there's a Japanese restaurant on Hotel St called Bonzai which I can recommend.
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

LeinsterGuest wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:17 pm Hi all,

A few of us are making the trip from Ireland to Leicester for Saturday's game. Never been before so any advice on best pubs to go to before/after the game would be great.

thanks
Adrian
Where in the stadium are you standing/sitting.

Blue Boar is a very nice prematch pint.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:15 pm
LeinsterGuest wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:17 pm Hi all,

thanks
Adrian
Where in the stadium are you standing/sitting.

Blue Boar is a very nice prematch pint.
If small. The pavement is pretty big outside though!
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
KevinR

Post by KevinR »

Some very good recommendations, but Shivali has recently closed. The veggie brother of Kayal, Herb (nearer to the centre and on the other side of the road) is really excellent. I can certainly confirm that Mowgli is brilliant for all tastes.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Crofty wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:12 pm Lead off pint after getting off the train I'd highly recommend a pint of Tiger in the Barley Mow on Granby Street, recommend Santhi as a curry house pretty much exactly opposite it too. The Sir Robert Peel on Jarrom St is good for a post match pint too.

If you're looking for something unusual there's a Japanese restaurant on Hotel St called Bonzai which I can recommend.
I don’t really know Leicester but is Bonzai hard to find? Love Japanese food!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:46 pm
Crofty wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:12 pm Lead off pint after getting off the train I'd highly recommend a pint of Tiger in the Barley Mow on Granby Street, recommend Santhi as a curry house pretty much exactly opposite it too. The Sir Robert Peel on Jarrom St is good for a post match pint too.

Piece of cake, going to presume starting at the railway station, out the main entrance, go right to the big pelican crossing, cross and go all the way along Granby St, when you get to the Nat West at the big square go left (round the front of the bank) and it'll be on the far side of the road at the far side of the first crossroad (opposite McDonald's)
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Crofty wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:58 pm
Scott1 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:46 pm

Piece of cake, going to presume starting at the railway station, out the main entrance, go right to the big pelican crossing, cross and go all the way along Granby St, when you get to the Nat West at the big square go left (round the front of the bank) and it'll be on the far side of the road at the far side of the first crossroad (opposite McDonald's)
Thanks very much!