Julian Montoya

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Julian Montoya

Post by Postiger2 »

The man is absolutely brilliant. No coincidence that we've been on a huge upward trend since we signed him. He'd be my pick for captain next season. Solid 8/10 every week at least.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Julian Montoya

Post by Scott1 »

Worlds best hooker for me,outstanding player!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

For me the captaincy is between him & Liebenberg. I'd probably give it to Liebenberg for 2 reasons.

1 - less likely to be away for internationals
2 - English as first language for Hanro
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Postiger2 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:14 pm The man is absolutely brilliant. No coincidence that we've been on a huge upward trend since we signed him. He'd be my pick for captain next season. Solid 8/10 every week at least.
:smt023
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Julian has the captaincy of his country as well, it will be interesting who becomes the other skips, with 2 of the present group leaving & one who really shouldn't be playing next year, JVP maybe?
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

JULIAN MONTOYA
Is brilliant, agreed :smt023

Liebenberg would be my pick for captain, but his first language is actually Afrikaans and he learnt to speak English from the age of 8.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Montoya is up there with the very best. Benny Kayser who wasn’t bad, couldn’t say enough good things about him.
For me Liebenberg next season mainly due to Montoya international commitments.

After that some of the youngsters coming through, Reffell. JVP, and Kelly, who I think has an excellent rugby brain.
Borthwick could of course go left field again, don’t think many can say they saw Genge being named
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:43 pm Montoya is up there with the very best. Benny Kayser who wasn’t bad, couldn’t say enough good things about him.

After that some of the youngsters coming through, Reffell. JVP, and Kelly, who I think has an excellent rugby brain.
Borthwick could of course go left field again, don’t think many can say they saw Genge being named
Kelly needs to stop waving his arms around and screaming at officials if he's going to take on any kind of leadership role.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Tiglon wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:47 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:43 pm Montoya is up there with the very best. Benny Kayser who wasn’t bad, couldn’t say enough good things about him.

Kelly needs to stop waving his arms around and screaming at officials if he's going to take on any kind of leadership role.
Totally agree the exuberance of youth maybe, but needs removing from his game
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

That kind of behaviour belongs at the home of the Humble....
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:56 pm That kind of behaviour belongs at the home of the Humble....
Kate?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:56 pm That kind of behaviour belongs at the home of the Humble....
:smt023
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Tykger

Post by Tykger »

Bob on ! Vamos Julian !! Awesome player. Genge a colossus also ! Amazing human. Probably picked as Captain in effort to keep him. Never mind move on. Montoya , Montoya....there is a song there somewhere for the Crumbie.
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

I love hearing him say “Balance!” every time the front row sets, as I’m sure it contributes to the ref’s dim view of the opposition’s scrummaging!

:smt040
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

The difference a scrummaging beast makes in galvanising a pack. Does make you question the perceived wisdom that hookers have to be small.
Montoja is a leader on the field but, considering his Argentina commitments I think Hanro would be my choice for captain next year. Back row is a good place to be in the ref's ear - close enough for the front row to point out the opposition's cheating but still able to see what's going on around the park.