Guy Porter red card - Update - 3 week ban

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mol2
Super User
Super User

Re: Guy Porter red card - Update - 3 week ban

Post by mol2 »

The dummy runner comment was to provoke thought.
If you find yourself ahead of the ball should you not be retreating?

All the current legislation seems to favour the attacking side.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Tykger

Post by Tykger »

Ahhh. It was a head high tackle after all that ! Who knew ?! Good old beeb. Good luck with the singing.ill be at work sadly, but will blow out a few lines when I can. Good luck COYT.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

I’ve no problem with Porter’s red card as by the letter of the new rules it was red but 6 weeks initial ban then reduced but Gibson Park gets away with a shoulder to the head! I just don’t get it.
LittleBigG

Post by LittleBigG »

Ian Cant wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:14 pm I’ve no problem with Porter’s red card as by the letter of the new rules it was red but 6 weeks initial ban then reduced but Gibson Park gets away with a shoulder to the head! I just don’t get it.
THIS is what I have the issue with

Porter's collision was a red card according to the current laws (whatever... I think the current laws are an ass, but they are what they are)

However, how on God's Green Earth JGP did not only a) not get a red card and b) not get a ban once cited is truely beyond me! You can apply significantly more force using your shoulder as there is less risk to yourself

I see no difference between what he did and what Hepetema copped 3 weeks for earlier in the season

These inexplicable outcomes often appear to have just been drawn out of a hat and are, quite honestly, utterly inexcusable at a professional level; they are clearly being judged on outcome which is just so, so wrong
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

LittleBigG wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:06 pm
Ian Cant wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:14 pm I’ve no problem with Porter’s red card as by the letter of the new rules it was red but 6 weeks initial ban then reduced but Gibson Park gets away with a shoulder to the head! I just don’t get it.

Porter's collision was a red card according to the current laws (whatever... I think the current laws are an ass, but they are what they are)

However, how on God's Green Earth JGP did not only a) not get a red card and b) not get a ban once cited is truely beyond me! You can apply significantly more force using your shoulder as there is less risk to yourself

I see no difference between what he did and what Hepetema copped 3 weeks for earlier in the season

These inexplicable outcomes often appear to have just been drawn out of a hat and are, quite honestly, utterly inexcusable at a professional level; they are clearly being judged on outcome which is just so, so wrong
Spot on. Absolutely laughable
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

LittleBigG wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:06 pm

+1
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

I'm all for player welfare but the lack of consistency needs sorting fast
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:11 am I'm all for player welfare but the lack of consistency needs sorting fast
I completely agree re consistancy. Nobody is against player welfare - that is barbaric! I am personally just against the "over softening" of the game. Rugby is a hard, aggressive game, and IMHO, should remain such. For those who dont want to play this, play touch. Even in touch rugby though, the Porter incident still would have happened!

I understand that a red card is a seen as a deterrance to accidental head contact etc but I have doubts that this works - accidents happen! I am all for other suggestions of actually preventing head contact, bar helmets, though...

The other point, at least for me, is common sense refereeing. An accident is an accident, a rugby incident, and must not be seen in the same light as thuggery. As a fan, it is a shame not to be able to watch some of our favourite players because they were involved in an act of fate. If they were thugs, they should not be on the field.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Apologies if I’ve read this incorrectly but there seem to be 2 points. Firstly the law needs to be looked at re reckless, does the question need to be asked for instance Was the incident avoidable in real time ?
Secondly as has rightly been pointed out, consistency across the board, from officials disciplinary panels etc. as much as anything because of the disparity in punishment between Porter and Gibson Park for similar incidents
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Robert Kitson's commentary on this is worth reading
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/ ... -foul-play
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

markharbtiger wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:49 am Robert Kitson's commentary on this is worth reading
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/ ... -foul-play
Agree. Mirrors my thoughts. But it's the inconsistency that really gets my goat. Porter getting a red card and a short ban under the current laws I can understand. But this is completely undone by Gibson-Parks shoulder leading, nose smashing, no arms tackle being dismissed by the panel.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:52 am Apologies if I’ve read this incorrectly but there seem to be 2 points. Firstly the law needs to be looked at re reckless, does the question need to be asked for instance Was the incident avoidable in real time ?
Secondly as has rightly been pointed out, consistency across the board, from officials disciplinary panels etc. as much as anything because of the disparity in punishment between Porter and Gibson Park for similar incidents
Whether the incident was avoidable is already one of the parts of the decision making process for referees as laid out in the guidance from World Rugby.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

If anyone wants to see a high hit with force, watch the highlights of the Crusaders v Blues match on YouTube and Scott Barrett’s red card
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Bumped into my mate in Tescos this morning. I was coming out of fruit and veg and he was leaving dairy. I just didn't see him as my view was obscured by a lady and her seven children. Head on head collision so I now have a pair of broken specs and am banned from Tescos for three weeks...........every cloud.............
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"