Guy Porter red card - Update - 3 week ban

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Guy Porter red card

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

johnthegriff wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:04 am Seems to be taking a long time to announce the findings of Porter's tribunal compared to the prompt release of Gibson Park's tribunal decision. Do you think it is because we have to wait for the actual tribunal before deciding the outcome unlike when a Leinster player is involved?
Possibly, there were I think there were a few other players cited (Mallia - Toulouse & Muller -Brive) so could be they're putting all their reports together so it's 3 of them they're announcing as once, not just 1?
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

You would hope that the club are advised of the outcome before the reports are published. If not, it could cause a severe disadvantage with regards trainaing and selection
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

GB72 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:26 pm You would hope that the club are advised of the outcome before the reports are published. If not, it could cause a severe disadvantage with regards trainaing and selection
I'm sure the club is aware, but commenting on injuries/suspensions is not the club's style...
Schof1990

Post by Schof1990 »

First of all this is my first time posting on the forum so I would like to say hi to everyone.

I have been reading back through this topic and notice a lot of posters saying no foul play. The ref clearly says it’s an off the ball incident. This is effectively classed as an off the ball tackle. Which is in itself foul play. When this happens the decision will nearly always go with the attacking team. Porter was at fault for this due to his line speed. If he wasn’t rushing up so quickly he would have given himself more time to react.

I do think the red card was harsh due to the Porter clearly not looking at the player he collided with but I can clearly see why is was given as a red.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://www.epcrugby.com/2022/04/14/dis ... d-round-5/

3 game ban, can be just 2 if he does a course.

So soonest time back for the Semi vs LI, missing Clermont H & Quins A
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

https://www.epcrugby.com/2022/04/14/dis ... d-round-5/

Guy Porter suspended for three weeks

The Leicester Tigers centre, Guy Porter, has been suspended for three weeks following an independent Disciplinary Hearing by video conference arising from his club’s Heineken Champions Cup, Round of 16 1st leg match against ASM Clermont Auvergne at the Stade Marcel-Michelin.

Porter was sent off by the referee, Nika Amashukeli (Georgia), in the 60th minute of the match for making contact with the head of the ASM Clermont Auvergne No 8, Fritz Lee, in a reckless manner in contravention of Law 9.11.

Law 9.11 Players must not do anything that is reckless or dangerous to others
Under World Rugby’s Sanctions for Foul Play, Law 9.11 carries the following sanction entry points – Low End: 2 weeks; Mid-range: 6 weeks; Top end: 10 to 52 weeks.

Roger Morris (Wales), chair, David Humphreys (Ireland) and Frank Hadden (Scotland), considered video imagery of the incident and heard submissions from the player, who did not accept the red card decision, from the player’s legal representative, John Shea, from the Leicester Tigers General Manager, Leigh Jones, and from the EPCR Disciplinary Officer, Liam McTiernan.

The committee upheld the red card decision, finding that Porter had committed a reckless act of foul play that warranted a red card. It then determined that the offending was at the mid-range of World Rugby’s sanctions and six weeks was selected as the appropriate entry point.

Due to the player’s clear disciplinary record and his concern for Lee following the incident, it was decided to grant the full 50% mitigation and the committee therefore reduced the sanction by three weeks before imposing a three-week suspension.

As Leicester Tigers are scheduled to play a Premiership Rugby Cup semi-final on Tuesday, 26 April, Porter is free to play on Wednesday, 27 April. However, if he applies for and completes a World Rugby Coaching Intervention, he will be free to play on Monday, 25 April.

Both the player and EPCR have the right to appeal the decision.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:23 am SCW had the England squad doing exercises for vision if I remember correctly.

I think Sir was left with no option within the current guidelines & the limited TV angles, if the collision had occurred nearer the "gainline" it makes the accident opinion more valid.
I don't think anyone is doubting that it was accidental. The question is whether it was reckless... Maybe being further back would have helped, but some people have the opinion that it was red just because there was head contact...
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Guy Porter red card - Update - 3 week ban

Post by Crofty »

And yet JGP has no case to answer, utter farce!
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Tigerbeat wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:09 pm https://www.epcrugby.com/2022/04/14/dis ... d-round-5/

Guy Porter suspended for three weeks

The Leicester Tigers centre, Guy Porter, has been suspended for three weeks following an independent Disciplinary Hearing by video conference arising from his club’s Heineken Champions Cup, Round of 16 1st leg match against ASM Clermont Auvergne at the Stade Marcel-Michelin.

Porter was sent off by the referee, Nika Amashukeli (Georgia), in the 60th minute of the match for making contact with the head of the ASM Clermont Auvergne No 8, Fritz Lee, in a reckless manner in contravention of Law 9.11.

Law 9.11 Players must not do anything that is reckless or dangerous to others
Under World Rugby’s Sanctions for Foul Play, Law 9.11 carries the following sanction entry points – Low End: 2 weeks; Mid-range: 6 weeks; Top end: 10 to 52 weeks.

Roger Morris (Wales), chair, David Humphreys (Ireland) and Frank Hadden (Scotland), considered video imagery of the incident and heard submissions from the player, who did not accept the red card decision, from the player’s legal representative, John Shea, from the Leicester Tigers General Manager, Leigh Jones, and from the EPCR Disciplinary Officer, Liam McTiernan.

The committee upheld the red card decision, finding that Porter had committed a reckless act of foul play that warranted a red card. It then determined that the offending was at the mid-range of World Rugby’s sanctions and six weeks was selected as the appropriate entry point.

Due to the player’s clear disciplinary record and his concern for Lee following the incident, it was decided to grant the full 50% mitigation and the committee therefore reduced the sanction by three weeks before imposing a three-week suspension.

As Leicester Tigers are scheduled to play a Premiership Rugby Cup semi-final on Tuesday, 26 April, Porter is free to play on Wednesday, 27 April. However, if he applies for and completes a World Rugby Coaching Intervention, he will be free to play on Monday, 25 April.

Both the player and EPCR have the right to appeal the decision.
Reckless foul play?! It was definitely not foul play, and dont see it as reckless either. Ridiculous again. IMHO. At least the Mickey Mouse Cup games actually count. It proves once again that wearing red, green and white actually gives you a larger ban.

So some people warrant an accident a 6 week ban! Jeez what are things coming to. People probably got less for gouging a few years ago.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Utter farce
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Farcical! But that's rugby for you
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Apart from the ludicrous nature of the decision, I can think of two positives... Moroni needs game time, and Porter will be well-rested for the run-in.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Fortunately there are a lot of posters who can see both sides of the argument on here, as opposed to the one eyed type.

Anyway done and dusted now Tigers will take the 2 weeks, with him going on the course, and he may get a run in the PRC, if he’s fit.
Has it been announced if he passed the HIA or did they not even bother with it as he had been red carded
Schof1990

Post by Schof1990 »

Porter comes into contact with a player who isn’t carrying the ball. That is the foul play.

The speed in which Porter is moving forward is the recklessness and also creates the force which was the reason for the red card.

As commented above I think the red was harsh and the ban is ridiculous but they are trying to change players behaviours.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:34 pm Has it been announced if he passed the HIA or did they not even bother with it as he had been red carded
Not sure, it may well be in the full decision when that is published I'll put a link to it