Guy Porter red card - Update - 3 week ban

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Guy Porter red card

Post by Scott1 »

How about a rugby league style system with players being put on report. But only for accidental head clashes or rugby incidents. It’s very easy even for these refs to tell the difference between foul play and a rugby incident so that way the player stays on the pitch and is then dealt with after. Just a thought
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Half the problem is you don't even get consistency at the hearing(s).
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:51 am Half the problem is you don't even get consistency at the hearing(s).
True!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:49 am How about a rugby league style system with players being put on report. But only for accidental head clashes or rugby incidents. It’s very easy even for these refs to tell the difference between foul play and a rugby incident so that way the player stays on the pitch and is then dealt with after. Just a thought
Certainly an idea. Maybe another possibility is that in this case because Lee could not return due to HIA protocols, Porter is also replaced, whether fit to carry on or not
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

It seems to me this one is laden with ifs, buts and maybes. Si my if is this....If Porter was going for the intercept and had caught it, and if he then collided with Fritz, would Porter as the ball carrier, or Fritz as the then "defender" have received the red card.
As Good As It Gets
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Scuttle wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:59 am It seems to me this one is laden with ifs, buts and maybes. Si my if is this....If Porter was going for the intercept and had caught it, and if he then collided with Fritz, would Porter as the ball carrier, or Fritz as the then "defender" have received the red card.
Great question!
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:15 pm
Scuttle wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:59 am It seems to me this one is laden with ifs, buts and maybes. Si my if is this....If Porter was going for the intercept and had caught it, and if he then collided with Fritz, would Porter as the ball carrier, or Fritz as the then "defender" have received the red card.
Great question!
Fritz would then have received the card.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

wigworth wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:18 pm
Scott1 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:15 pm
Great question!
Fritz would then have received the card.
This really adds to the riducule!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Ive not read everything, im sitting in Paris waiting for Eurostar, obviously we were there and this is what i saw.
Tigers defence was very quick to cover all game and in this instance Guy rushed up to tackle his man but their centre did not pass the ball and Guy ran full pelt into his opponent and he was therefore deemed to have caused the clash of heads.
There was no intention to do this just the fact Guys anticipation and speed took him hurtli g into a man who did not have the ball, both were upright.
So who was at fault?
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

LE18 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:33 pm Ive not read everything, im sitting in Paris waiting for Eurostar, obviously we were there and this is what i saw.
Tigers defence was very quick to cover all game and in this instance Guy rushed up to tackle his man but their centre did not pass the ball and Guy ran full pelt into his opponent and he was therefore deemed to have caused the clash of heads.
There was no intention to do this just the fact Guys anticipation and speed took him hurtli g into a man who did not have the ball, both were upright.
So who was at fault?
I think that is the point, that there is no fault, or at least nobody at fault. It was a pure accident.
GETHIN EXILE

Post by GETHIN EXILE »

Having watched it live and re-watched it several times I noted the following:

Fritz Lee actually changes his line to move towards Porter

Fritz Lee has his head forward as the collision occurs whilst Porter is upright so it is actually Lee who's head initiates the contact

Guy Porter has his arms in from of him whilst Lee has his by his sides thus Porter is actually trying to prevent the collision.

The TMO was trying get the referee to move down to a Yellow which would have been a fair result
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

GETHIN EXILE wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:29 pm Having watched it live and re-watched it several times I noted the following:

Fritz Lee has his head forward as the collision occurs whilst Porter is upright so it is actually Lee who's head initiates the contact

Guy Porter has his arms in from of him whilst Lee has his by his sides thus Porter is actually trying to prevent the collision.

The TMO was trying get the referee to move down to a Yellow which would have been a fair result
Fritz was all bloodied so that seems to have drawn the attention and made Porter the aggressor, person at fault. If Porter had been bloodied too, how would that have been viewed......a rugby accident
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Luckily, I believe that we regularly train 14 vs 15, or possibly 13 vs 15, so it's doesn't necessarily become a bad thing. Obviously you'd rather keep all 15 on the field.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

GETHIN EXILE wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:29 pm Having watched it live and re-watched it several times I noted the following:

Yes,if anything Lee was more deserving of a red card!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

You could interpret that as Lee not knowing that Porter was there and therefore not being reckless, whereas Porter moved his arms to brace himself because he knew Lee was there and was therefore reckless. It can be argued both ways.