The decline and fall of Munster

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: The decline and fall of Munster

Post by Rugbygramps »

Old Hob wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:45 pm The Guardian article does sound like Munster were exactly like Tigers - but in the days of Johnno and Deano and Cockers. And those days are gone. I watched the kerfuffle in the game today where there was a lot of pushing and shoving and Wiese had his shirt ripped and thought back to the days of Johnno and Julian White and reckoned there would have been some flat out Frenchmen. But, as I say, those days are gone and we are ,rightly, concerned with players mental health as much as their physical and training ground humiliation/ playing "It'll be lonely this Christmas" when someone has lost a relationship has gone too. It looks as though Munster need the Borthwick effect (but not Borthwick).
As you say the kerfuffle today was just pushing and shoving too many cameras for anything serious. Was impressed with how the ref dealt with no referring just get on with the game
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

corko wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:37 pm
BTW, I believe it's likely that Tigers will be signing a former Munster player, and if correct I think he will suit you perfectly.
Cumon you gotta give us more than that, at least a position, or year he left Munster?
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
corko

Post by corko »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:39 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:24 pm

Thanks for that post!👍
No worries :smt002

BTW, I believe it's likely that Tigers will be signing a former Munster player, and if correct I think he will suit you perfectly.
Please ,tell us more! 😉
I can't but I can tell you that a lot of us were disgusted that he was allowed leave. It was a budgetary decision.
corko

Post by corko »

Old Hob wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:45 pm The Guardian article does sound like Munster were exactly like Tigers - but in the days of Johnno and Deano and Cockers. And those days are gone. I watched the kerfuffle in the game today where there was a lot of pushing and shoving and Wiese had his shirt ripped and thought back to the days of Johnno and Julian White and reckoned there would have been some flat out Frenchmen. But, as I say, those days are gone and we are ,rightly, concerned with players mental health as much as their physical and training ground humiliation/ playing "It'll be lonely this Christmas" when someone has lost a relationship has gone too. It looks as though Munster need the Borthwick effect (but not Borthwick).
I'd agree with that to an extent. There is a recognition that the style of rugby we play isn't good enough, but while there is talent coming through, there's been a big problem with the South African coaching philosophy since Erasmus. We don't have that battering ram pack to carry it out
corko

Post by corko »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:56 pm
Cumon you gotta give us more than that, at least a position, or year he left Munster?
Last season :smt002
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Looks like Rowntree is getting the top gig.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

corko wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:51 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:39 pm

No worries :smt002

Please ,tell us more! 😉
I can't but I can tell you that a lot of us were disgusted that he was allowed leave. It was a budgetary decision.
Got to be James Cronin then! 😉
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
corko

Post by corko »

One extra piece

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rug ... 48962.html

Graham Rowntree to be appointed new Munster head coach, say reports
Forwards coach Graham Rowntree is set to be confirmed as Munster's new head coach, says the Limerick Leader.

It reports Monday that the former Leicester and England front row has agreed the position after being offered it in recent days. Long-time favourite for the position, Rowntree will succeed Johann van Graan who departs for Bath at the end of the campaign.

The make-up of his coaching ticket would be critical and though Racing 92 attack coach Mike Prendergast has been linked with an assistant role to Rowntree, there's no clear indication yet that the Limerick man is ready to leave the French capital and return home.

After inking a two-year contract extension in January, Rowntree was asked if he was interested in the top job, saying: "I'm delighted to be re-signed in my current capacity. The head coach question, well that's one for another day but what I can tell you is that the club and all the parties concerned are very aware of my coaching aspirations."

He added: "I'm just enjoying my time here and I'm delighted. The players are a humble group who want to get better. My job is to help them get better day in, day out. My family have been well received and it's important in our world to have a good balance of work and playtime - I've enjoyed that here."
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

corko wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:30 pm One extra piece

Forwards coach Graham Rowntree is set to be confirmed as Munster's new head coach, says the Limerick Leader.

It reports Monday that the former Leicester and England front row has agreed the position after being offered it in recent days. Long-time favourite for the position, Rowntree will succeed Johann van Graan who departs for Bath at the end of the campaign.

The make-up of his coaching ticket would be critical and though Racing 92 attack coach Mike Prendergast has been linked with an assistant role to Rowntree, there's no clear indication yet that the Limerick man is ready to leave the French capital and return home.

After inking a two-year contract extension in January, Rowntree was asked if he was interested in the top job, saying: "I'm delighted to be re-signed in my current capacity. The head coach question, well that's one for another day but what I can tell you is that the club and all the parties concerned are very aware of my coaching aspirations."

He added: "I'm just enjoying my time here and I'm delighted. The players are a humble group who want to get better. My job is to help them get better day in, day out. My family have been well received and it's important in our world to have a good balance of work and playtime - I've enjoyed that here."
Hope he does well for you guys! ... Well apart from when you play Tigers 😉
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
corko

Post by corko »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:58 pm
corko wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:30 pm One extra piece

Hope he does well for you guys! ... Well apart from when you play Tigers 😉
Naturally ! :smt002
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

I am pleased for Graham Rowntree to get the job at Munster but his comment about being appointed to a "club of this calibre" doesn't bode well. Doesn't he know that Munster are a Province, the sum of many clubs and the recipients of great amounts of money from the IRFU?.
They have never been a club. I don't know of a single club in Ireland that could compete at this level and I have played against many of them. The uneven playing field their funding and tax regime produces has been a long running sore.
Add to this, the massive amounts the French can spend to buy success, it's a wonder any English clubs can compete.
Ironically, the only one that has managed "success" before Exeter, did so by cheating.
A life long Tiger
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Smudge wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:58 pm I am pleased for Graham Rowntree to get the job at Munster but his comment about being appointed to a "club of this calibre" doesn't bode well. Doesn't he know that Munster are a Province, the sum of many clubs and the recipients of great amounts of money from the IRFU?.
They have never been a club. I don't know of a single club in Ireland that could compete at this level and I have played against many of them. The uneven playing field their funding and tax regime produces has been a long running sore.
Add to this, the massive amounts the French can spend to buy success, it's a wonder any English clubs can compete.
Ironically, the only one that has managed "success" before Exeter, did so by cheating.
Without being too pedantic but there is a tab on the Munster Rugby Website that says "The Club" talking about Munster rugby, is this really that much of a faux pas for him to say?
From my outside view it seems pretty simple that Munster just don't have the horses so to speak for the game they are trying to play, to me the power forward game has pretty much past the Irish by, I would even include Leinster in this. So while I wish Rowntree well I don't see him turning them into something too different to what they currently are.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Not a great Faux Pas but it basically glosses over the uneven advantages of a province competing against clubs
in what is a competition for Clubs. We try, here in England to create a level playing field by a salary cap which prevents
a few clubs "buying" the competition. The result is that one team can often defeat any other but the French Clubs like
Toulon and to an extent the Irish Provinces are playing with a distinct advantage.
A life long Tiger
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

I just hope he does a "Borthwick" with Munster, makes a huge name for himself and gets offered the England job.

Then we can keep Steve.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

loretta wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:25 pm I just hope he does a "Borthwick" with Munster, makes a huge name for himself and gets offered the England job.

Then we can keep Steve.
I hope it’s ROG!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer