The decline and fall of Munster

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: The decline and fall of Munster

Post by Darc Tiger »

Reports of my death are greatly exaggerated?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Never write off Munster!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

A premature burial perhaps ?
There is a time for common sense rather than hype and over exaggeration.A game or (better described) a tie is never over until it is over......
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
corko

Post by corko »

Smudge wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:01 pm Not a great Faux Pas but it basically glosses over the uneven advantages of a province competing against clubs
in what is a competition for Clubs. We try, here in England to create a level playing field by a salary cap which prevents
a few clubs "buying" the competition. The result is that one team can often defeat any other but the French Clubs like
Toulon and to an extent the Irish Provinces are playing with a distinct advantage.
Ah that's just silly, Munster Rugby is a professional club, the clubs like Cork Con, Shannon, Garryowen etc are amateur clubs who would have a few hundred people watching on a good day. Clubs in England and France have far bigger budgets than is available in Ireland. It's a trope thrown out to mask the issues within the pro game in England. You seem to have forgotten how Saracens cheated their way to Premierships and Heineken Cups, at the expense of teams like yours and mine.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

corko wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:17 pm
Smudge wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:01 pm Not a great Faux Pas but it basically glosses over the uneven advantages of a province competing against clubs
in what is a competition for Clubs. We try, here in England to create a level playing field by a salary cap which prevents
a few clubs "buying" the competition. The result is that one team can often defeat any other but the French Clubs like
Toulon and to an extent the Irish Provinces are playing with a distinct advantage.
Ah that's just silly, Munster Rugby is a professional club, the clubs like Cork Con, Shannon, Garryowen etc are amateur clubs who would have a few hundred people watching on a good day. Clubs in England and France have far bigger budgets than is available in Ireland. It's a trope thrown out to mask the issues within the pro game in England. You seem to have forgotten how Saracens cheated their way to Premierships and Heineken Cups, at the expense of teams like yours and mine.
Hopefully we'll be seeing your boys in the semifinal!
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
corko

Post by corko »

kk20gb30 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:12 pm A premature burial perhaps ?
There is a time for common sense rather than hype and over exaggeration.A game or (better described) a tie is never over until it is over......
I'm just back from the game and while it was a good result, I was shocked to see how poor Exeter are. It was all huff and puff, with little guile. Realistically, I fancy our chances against Toulouse but a Semi final is again probably our limit.
corko

Post by corko »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:20 pm
corko wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:17 pm
Hopefully we'll be seeing your boys in the semifinal!
That would be fun ! :smt039
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

corko wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:21 pm
I'm just back from the game and while it was a good result, I was shocked to see how poor Exeter are. It was all huff and puff, with little guile. Realistically, I fancy our chances against Toulouse but a Semi final is again probably our limit.
Is Twitter right in saying your lads are missing out on a home ¼ because Ed Sheeran has booked your ground?!?
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
corko

Post by corko »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:38 pm
Is Twitter right in saying your lads are missing out on a home ¼ because Ed Sheeran has booked your ground?!?
Yes indeed 😊. Looking like the Aviva. It would have been a great opportunity to bring it to the renovated 45,000 capacity Pairc Ui Chaoimh (pronounced like Kiyv) in Cork, but I believe there's an availability issue with that too.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

I agree about Exeter; they looked sluggish at times, slow to get up and walking. Still that does not take away from a good Munster performance.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Exeter look like a side that has passed its peak and rebuilding required. Not quite got the grunt up front to camp on the opposition line for phase after phase as they used to. The change from attacking scrum to goal line drop out has also made it harder to set up camp on the opposition line as you have to get over and score or lose possession.

Munster benefitted from some strange refereeing calls at the breakdown.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

mol2 wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:22 pm Exeter look like a side that has passed its peak and rebuilding required. Not quite got the grunt up front to camp on the opposition line for phase after phase as they used to. The change from attacking scrum to goal line drop out has also made it harder to set up camp on the opposition line as you have to get over and score or lose possession.

Agree with this totally. The other thing I think has affected Exeter is making it illegal to pre latch they aren’t scoring anywhere the number of tries they were.
With only 3 games to play, and away to Sarries this coming weekend they will do well to hold onto 4th.
Will any rebuilding include Baxter ?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:27 pm
mol2 wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:22 pm Exeter look like a side that has passed its peak and rebuilding required. Not quite got the grunt up front to camp on the opposition line for phase after phase as they used to. The change from attacking scrum to goal line drop out has also made it harder to set up camp on the opposition line as you have to get over and score or lose possession.

Agree with this totally. The other thing I think has affected Exeter is making it illegal to pre latch they aren’t scoring anywhere the number of tries they were.
With only 3 games to play, and away to Sarries this coming weekend they will do well to hold onto 4th.
Will any rebuilding include Baxter ?
Depends how loyal the poundshop Napolean is
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer