Tom Smith

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Tom Smith

Post by Rugbygramps »

Just flashed up that former Lions and Scottish prop Tom Smith has died at the age of 50. One of the hero’s of the 97 Lions tour I believe.
RIP tragically young
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Tom Smith

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Such sad news. First Lions tour I can remember from my youth...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

A great player. First truly modern prop from the British Isles. He could do it all- scrum, lift, carry, tackle, catch & pass. His performance in the ‘97 Lions Tour was amongst the best I’ve seen from a prop forward.

Can never recall anything but praise for Tom Smith as a man. How very sad that he has been taken so young.
soggytiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by soggytiger »

Rest in peace Tom, a legend lost to us too early. Thoughts with family and friends.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Tigers86asw wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:31 pm A great player. First truly modern prop from the British Isles. He could do it all- scrum, lift, carry, tackle, catch & pass. His performance in the ‘97 Lions Tour was amongst the best I’ve seen from a prop forward.

Can never recall anything but praise for Tom Smith as a man. How very sad that he has been taken so young.
Memory may be misty but I think our own wiggy was favourite for the test spot when they left the uk and Smith forced his way into the team. Great front row of Smith, Wood and Wallace
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Great player And top bloke

I was on that tour and the front row were immense against the mighty Oz Du Randt et al.

Was also at Murrayfield when he scored a great try to salvage a draw against Wales.

Another really decent Scottish rugby man taken sadly young like Gordon Brown and Bruce Hay before him
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

That’s a great interview

Described by Geech as “The greatest Scot of the professional era to date”

To have lost two of our greatest props (Sandy Carmichael the other) in one year is very sad bad business indeed
eastyorkstiger
Tiger Cub

Post by eastyorkstiger »

one of the true great front rowers hard as nails on the pitch and off it a great guy by all accounts rip tom
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:47 pm
Tigers86asw wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:31 pm A great player. First truly modern prop from the British Isles. He could do it all- scrum, lift, carry, tackle, catch & pass. His performance in the ‘97 Lions Tour was amongst the best I’ve seen from a prop forward.

Memory may be misty but I think our own wiggy was favourite for the test spot when they left the uk and Smith forced his way into the team. Great front row of Smith, Wood and Wallace
What a tour that was ! That first Test was epic. The first fly on the wall filming where we got an insight into training etc, which hasn’t been bettered. And the social side….the court with Shaw, Wood and Jenkins, Wonderwall etc. Telfer, Geech, Bentley, Dawson’s dummy, Tait, Scott Gibbs….and Tom Smith was superb.
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

So sad to hear 🥲
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

So very, very sad, a huge loss
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

mightymouse wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:24 pm Great player And top bloke

I was on that tour and the front row were immense against the mighty Oz Du Randt et al.

Was also at Murrayfield when he scored a great try to salvage a draw against Wales.

Another really decent Scottish rugby man taken sadly young like Gordon Brown and Bruce Hay before him
I too, had the privilege of attending a couple of matches on that tour, including the 2nd Test at King’s Park Durban, which was undoubtedly the best live match I’ve ever seen.
Semper in excretia
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

RIP, a sad loss indeed.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Yes remember Tom so well from that 1997 Lions Tour. He was so much smaller than the Bok tighthead, but his low scrummaging technique and teak toughness, was a big factor in the Lions victory.

In the Living with the Lions documentary of that tour, he came over as a fantastic man. A legend of the game indeed.

Unbelievably sad. RIP.
Soggypitch