News on Van Staden

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

News on Van Staden

Post by Ian Cant »

Have me and lots of my Tigers’ friends missed the news about Van Staden as he is no longer on the Senior Squad list on Tigers’ website?
I’d heard his head injury ( concussion) hadn’t cleared up but it’s strange if there’s been no announcement!
Be a very sad loss to us and South Africa.
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: News on Van Staden

Post by wigworth »

Ian Cant wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:01 pm Have me and lots of my Tigers’ friends missed the news about Van Staden as he is no longer on the Senior Squad list on Tigers’ website?
I’d heard his head injury ( concussion) hadn’t cleared up but it’s strange if there’s been no announcement!
I still see him on there.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Ian Cant wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:01 pm Have me and lots of my Tigers’ friends missed the news about Van Staden as he is no longer on the Senior Squad list on Tigers’ website?
Havnt heard anything 🤞
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Not seen anything Ian. He is still showing on the squad list on the app, which must be up to date as Kobus Van Wyk is no longer showing.

Saying that I’m sure everyone hopes to see him back, but no one will be surprised he he has to hang his boots up.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Still there for me

https://www.leicestertigers.com/team/senior

Bottom row, in the Van park (not sure why it is not alphabetical like the rest though :smt005 )
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:23 pm Still there for me

Bottom row, in the Van park (not sure why it is not alphabetical like the rest though :smt005 )
He is there and it is alphabetical surely.. :smt017
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

He's still on the list 100% on both the website and on the app.

There's a couple of possibilities

1. Someone made a mistake removing Van Wyk, and removed Van Staden instead temporarily & it's been rectified.

2. With a few changes e.g. Jansen arriving and Kobus leaving the list has changed a bit and you just missed it. Certainly happens to me, though I am dyslexic and my wife says I'm terrible at looking for anything, so that could just be me...

3. Most worrying possibility. He is retiring or leaving soon and someone accidentally updated the website early and have now rolled it back. That said if the options this is by far the least likely IMO as that sort of web update needs minimal prep and isn’t top priority so don't see whh it'd be prepped early.

What's the latest we actually know?
Nothing official from the club at all.
However a couple of people have spotted glimpses of him at various corporate events & he's been in the background of some other players Instagram video's.
So the injury. We all know there was a concussion, it's quite possible he did something else too, but concussion wise he has form. Just less than a year prior he had a concussion and he was out for 6 weeks (so shows not just the one week out). We also know that the club do not comment on injuries so it's more than possible that he's had one other concussion we've not known about. If that was the case it's 3 concussions within a 12 month period, which automatically means 3 months rest. Based on that, the first game he'd possibly have been eligible was our last one in the prem cup, but only by a day.

Basically with 3 months gone if we don't start seeing him soon we should start to worry, there was someone on here talking about a Matera rumor in which it was said some mumors (unconfirmed) were that there were some concerns it may be career threatening, but any 3 month layoff IMO could bee thought of that way.

In my opinion we should start worrying if we don't start to see him soon.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

My view on Marco is that we aren't desperate for him back immediately. We have Tommy in great form, Hanro able to cover with Ollie and George able to play 6. Plus we have Robinson who can fill in when required. We are top of the table with an 8 point cushion, through to the knockout stages in Europe and the Cup and we have some big matches coming up in the next few months. Personally I think given his history the coaches are giving him plenty of time to properly recover rather than perhaps rushing him back too soon. Ideally he would have been up and running for the Clermont fixture but I'd sooner have him for the final at Twickers (if we make it that far!).. with that in mind I guess we might not see him for another few weeks yet but if he's not back mid April I'd be worried. He will need a few games to get up to speed before the Semi and hopefully the final. I think given his history it's entorely sensible to give him an extended period off and we have the luxury of sitting top of the table with a cushion. Player welfare always has to come first but if we were scrapping it out for top 4 and he'd had his mandatory period away then he might have been brought back a little earlier but given the current situation give him a few extra weeks off to fully recover :smt023
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Thanks everyone. He is back on the Senior Squad list again. Think it was maybe a blip the other day and a few of us just thought it was strange there had been no announcement on the website. Be great if he could be back soon!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I hope he is too! Different level for me
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

It was obviously a nasty concussion and MVS has had some before. Best thing to do is make sure he has a full recovery and is left out of the media spotlight whilst he does it. Hopefully we see him fully fit and on the field again.

Reffell has done a cracking job all season and it was great seeing him and MVS rotate anyway. Robinson has been ok since he's come in but I wonder if we might see Ilione get a shot in the 7 shirt in the first team after his junior 6N and PRC performances. Just the type of all action all round game Borthwick likes from his backrows. Carries, dominant tackles, turnovers and he jumps in the lineout. Surely it's only a matter of time.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

MVS was at Tuesday nights game, walked passed him outside the ground.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:12 pm

The alphabet that i learned at school ended "VWXYZ". All the Van surnames are after all the Ws and Lenny. Did you learn a different alphabet :smt002
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:26 am
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:12 pm

The alphabet that i learned at school ended "VWXYZ". All the Van surnames are after all the Ws and Lenny. Did you learn a different alphabet :smt002
OOOOh!!! That Hertz! :smt003
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

It's Van Wyke that has gone by mutual consent. (The wing, not the prop)