Refs and Sarries

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Refs and Sarries

Post by Greenwhiteandred »

Stat on yesterday’s game showed we had the worst yellow card record FYI.
Sarries only having 3 is laughable.
Whilst most of ours have probably been justifiable, I can’t remember many where we “got away with one” whilst we can see at least 4 Sarries got away with in the last 2 games alone.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Let's just hope that the balance is restored in the playoffs.

"Sarries crash out of Semi Final to Quins while having 11 players yellow carded" would be a nice headline :smt044
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:28 am But it's a FACT though that recently Sarries have got away with at least 5 incidents that have all been given yellows or reds in other games this season.
You can capitalise all you like, but the only FACTS in a rugby game are those recorded on the score sheet. Everything else is interpretation, and that yours differ from those of officials is of no consequence.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

chris111 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:39 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:28 am But it's a FACT though that recently Sarries have got away with at least 5 incidents that have all been given yellows or reds in other games this season.
You can capitalise all you like, but the only FACTS in a rugby game are those recorded on the score sheet. Everything else is interpretation, and that yours differ from those of officials is of no consequence.
Nadolo being given a yellow for “intentional” knock on was a FACT. Billy not being given a yellow for the same,actually worse infringement,is a FACT. Murivalu being given a yellow for diving on a try scorer was a FACT,Sarries player doing the same but not being given yellow was a FACT. Owen Farrell not being given yellow for a shoulder charge was a FACT,the umpteen other similar offences that have been given yellows for are FACTS. The FACT is that basically exactly the same offences in different games have either been given a yellow or just a penalty. Here endeth the lesson. The interpretation that the offences were either yellows or penalties can be debated or argued all day,the fact that the inconsistencies are favouring a certain team when the same offences are given yellow at times and penalties at other times can’t.
Last edited by Scott1 on Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:51 pm
Nadolo being given a yellow for “intentional” knock on was a FACT. Billy not being given a yellow for the same,actually worse infringement,is a FACT. Murivalu being given a yellow for diving on a try scorer was a FACT,Sarries player doing the same but not being given yellow was a FACT. Owen Farrell not being given yellow for a shoulder charge was a FACT,the umpteen other similar offences that have been given yellows for are FACTS. The FACT is that basically exactly the same offences in different games have either been given a yellow or just a penalty. Here endeth the lesson
Thank you, Scott - I do so appreciate being taught a lesson by you. I just wish I could be as certain about all things as you are - it must make life awfully simple.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

chris111 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:54 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:51 pm

Nadolo being given a yellow for “intentional” knock on was a FACT. Billy not being given a yellow for the same,actually worse infringement,is a FACT. Murivalu being given a yellow for diving on a try scorer was a FACT,Sarries player doing the same but not being given yellow was a FACT. Owen Farrell not being given yellow for a shoulder charge was a FACT,the umpteen other similar offences that have been given yellows for are FACTS. The FACT is that basically exactly the same offences in different games have either been given a yellow or just a penalty. Here endeth the lesson
Thank you, Scott - I do so appreciate being taught a lesson by you. I just wish I could be as certain about all things as you are - it must make life awfully simple.
Tigers 17 yellows,Sarries 4. There’s another FACT for you 👍
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

I don't really agree with this point as there are definatley instances in games where incidents happen and are not dealt with, or recorded on the score sheet as you say that are facts, other wise the citing commissioner would not exist.

The most infamous instance I can think of involves Leicester, when Manu most definitley did punch Ashton in the face and was not red carded, it is a fact it happened and was not recorded on the score sheet.
Last edited by wigworth on Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

wigworth wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:55 pm
I don't really agree with this point as there are defiantly instances in games where incidents happen and are not dealt with, or recorded on the score sheet as you say that are facts, other wise the citing commissioner would not exist.

The most infamous instance I can think of involves Leicester, when Manu most defiantly did punch Ashton in the face and was not sanctioned at all during the game, it is a fact it happened and was not recorded on the score sheet.
Spot on! It was a fact that there could have been 3 potential red card incidents looked at in the Lions series but they decided to focus on one that no one even saw at the time. Any one of these could have affected the final score
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I think it’s a sport where “interpretation “ is used far too much. As is “painting the right picture” and “which way the hands were facing”. It used to be far worse when the NH and SH teams played each other and we had to get used to their refs and vice versa,although that doesn’t seem as bad these days.
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

I don't really agree with this point as there are definatley instances in games where incidents happen and are not dealt with, or recorded on the score sheet as you say that are facts, other wise the citing commissioner would not exist.

The most infamous instance I can think of involves Leicester, when Manu most definitley did punch Ashton in the face and was not red carded, it is a fact it happened and was not recorded on the score sheet.
OK, I’ll admit it, I was exaggerating for effect. The broader point, though, is my push back on the implied claims of a refereeing conspiracy to favour Sarries - and I think these claims are ridiculous.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

chris111 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:13 pm

OK, I’ll admit it, I was exaggerating for effect. The broader point, though, is my push back on the implied claims of a refereeing conspiracy to favour Sarries - and I think these claims are ridiculous.
So you do agree that the 3 recent yellows and 2 probable reds that weren’t given to Sarries were the correct decisions and that the same offences this season that were given yellows and reds were wrong decisions then?
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I would, for once, agree to some extent with Scott. 'Interpretations' vary from ref to ref, but when I see "it has to be a yellow/red card" because of new implementation I do not disagree UNTIL I see the same offence clear as day NOT getting the same punishment. I have no problem with almost all cards, and indeed feel some were lucky not to be red, and that includes from our side.
What I feel happens is that dominant teams have their 'season' of laissez-faire - Chiefs certainly had a couple of seasons, over-runs, blocking and in-at-the-side, and almost foundered in Europe when they didn't have that latitude. We may well have had that at some time, possibly around the Back/Johnson era. Sarries have had this for quite a while, before the relegation for me it was their persistent offside defence arc, curving to block the opponents lines.
In the end, we rely on good reffing, possibly even good TMOs, and have to accept that at times we have neither, and misjudgements occur.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:17 pm

So you do agree that the 3 recent yellows and 2 probable reds that weren’t given to Sarries were the correct decisions and that the same offences this season that were given yellows and reds were wrong decisions then?
Hah! I know your gift for sophistry too well to be sucked down that wormhole, Scott!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

chris111 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:34 pm

Hah! I know your gift for sophistry too well to be sucked down that wormhole, Scott!
No I’m asking a genuine question. To shorten it considerably,do you agree Nadolos was a yellow and Billy V was just a penalty then?
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:09 pm
chris111 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:34 pm

No I’m asking a genuine question. To shorten it considerably,do you agree Nadolos was a yellow and Billy V was just a penalty then?
I’ll shorten it still further. Yes.