Refs and Sarries

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rod
Top Cat
Top Cat

Refs and Sarries

Post by Rod »

After last week's appalling refereeing display in the Bristol v Saracens match, where Saracens inexplicably got away with several potential yellow cards, we see yet again another set of officials who robbed Sale of a win. Firstly the double tackle on de Klerk was late and reckless - no card - and then the final Saracens' try was clearly a forward pass. It started short of the 25 line and ended beyond it. Geometrically irrefutable and the TMO said "It went backwards, mate"
It's almost as though the officials are frightened to penalise Sarries. For me it makes a mockery of the laws of the game and of justice in sport.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Refs and Sarries

Post by Rugbygramps »

Saracens fan obviously
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Sound like par for the course.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Yes Rod,3 yellows not given last week. Billy’s slap down,shoulder boys shoulder charge and the Sarries player diving on the Bristol try scorer. All offences that have have already been given yellow cards in other games. That’s why I don’t want Sarries in the final!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Rod
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Rod »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:27 pm Saracens fan obviously
I hold no brief for Bristol or Sale but do like to see justice done. We had a forward pass try v London Irish. It's unfair whoever benefits by it. But when it is as blatant as the Sarries winning try v Sale it becomes inexcusable.
SthrnTiger

Post by SthrnTiger »

I don’t think refs are biased toward Sarries just that they make mistakes and are human. Decisions are scrutinised so much and also taking a long time to make a decision is now heavily criticised.

For example seemed to me that Barnes was getting very annoyed with Phipps in the Irish - Saints game so was coming down hard on them. Imagine not deliberately but not surprising given how annoying he was being.

Ultimately refereeing in rugby is so important and therefore should invest in it more - basically we need to pay them more to attract better refs.

On latest Sarries games, as a Tigers fan I’m not too bothered with this as likely means come the play-offs there will be so much noise around it that refs may well over correct.
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

We’re all entitled to our opinions - but I’m afraid mine is that this is a ridiculous narrative. To me it’s a counterpart to the equally ridiculous “Tigers always get a raw deal” line that crops up on just about every match thread here.

Just as we see every Tigers game through red/white/green-tinted glasses, when watching a team you particularly dislike (in this case, Sarries), the temptation is to switch to ‘any colour do bar red/black-tinted’ ones!

Officials, like players, don’t make perfect decisions every time they step on the field. However, accusing them of bias - which is what this narrative is about - is completely unjustified.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

chris111 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:50 am We’re all entitled to our opinions - but I’m afraid mine is that this is a ridiculous narrative. To me it’s a counterpart to the equally ridiculous “Tigers always get a raw deal” line that crops up on just about every match thread here.

Just as we see every Tigers game through red/white/green-tinted glasses, when watching a team you particularly dislike (in this case, Sarries), the temptation is to switch to ‘any colour do bar red/black-tinted’ ones!

Officials, like players, don’t make perfect decisions every time they step on the field. However, accusing them of bias - which is what this narrative is about - is completely unjustified.
I do tend to agree with you Chris. Obviously the OP has their valid opinion it’s just for me in the cold light of day incidents are never as clear cut. I find do find all this pro Saracens rhetoric all a bit tiresome though
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

But it's a FACT though that recently Sarries have got away with at least 5 incidents that have all been given yellows or reds in other games this season.
Last edited by Scott1 on Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

You could say that about Saints yesterday but no one is up in arms about those
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:31 am You could say that about Saints yesterday but no one is up in arms about those
Haven't seen it but if its a red it's a red.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I’ve searched but can’t find a table for cards given this season can anyone oblige
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I could be wrong because I had to look through every game and pick them out but a quick scan through league games only shows we have had 17 yellows to Sarries 4! Happy for anyone to confirm.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Yes 17 league yellows,although BBC is not very reliable. I'll recheck Sarries.
Rechecked and its 4. So 17 yellows for us and 4 for Sarries,but nothings going on 😂🤦
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:21 pm Yes 17 league yellows,although BBC is not very reliable. I'll recheck Sarries.
Rechecked and its 4. So 17 yellows for us and 4 for Sarries,but nothings going on 😂🤦
Yeah I went back and found 4 and no reds.