Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Bristol in the mire

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://www.bristolbearsrugby.com/news/club-statement/

Bristol's statement, no denials there, but making clear they have not yet breached the cap and are confident they can still fall within it.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

So theoretically Bristol could want to get rid of contracted players who don’t want to go. It could get messy! But I would hope that if this does occur said players conduct themselves a hell of a lot better than a couple did closer to home!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Could turn into a Salvi situation...
I think the "Fire Sale" is more likely.

Might be time for all the Premiership Clubs to look at the person(s) in charge of the Cap, to check they a)know the rules & b) can add up, might be worth buying them a "To Do" note pad as well.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:02 pm So theoretically Bristol could want to get rid of contracted players who don’t want to go. It could get messy! But I would hope that if this does occur said players conduct themselves a hell of a lot better than a couple did closer to home!
It's most likely they have enough cap space from guys they were trying to convince to re-sign who were negotiating with them. Some guys they have given offers to that were mulling them over may have them withdrawn now. Unfortunately they may have quite limited choice who it is that they end up having to release so may well make their squad look very unbalanced.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:07 pm
Scott1 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:02 pm So theoretically Bristol could want to get rid of contracted players who don’t want to go. It could get messy! But I would hope that if this does occur said players conduct themselves a hell of a lot better than a couple did closer to home!
It's most likely they have enough cap space from guys they were trying to convince to re-sign who were negotiating with them. Some guys they have given offers to that were mulling them over may have them withdrawn now. Unfortunately they may have quite limited choice who it is that they end up having to release so may well make their squad look very unbalanced.
Wonder if there's any we could possibly fancy
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
PIEANDAPINT
Tiger Cub

Post by PIEANDAPINT »

Not sure which is more embarrassing in the context of these breaches - having an owner who is an accountant / founder of a major financial services organisation or a silent Chief Executive who launched an investment Company last year on the stock exchange and was responsible for the sale of a £2 billion business?
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:20 pm
Not sure I would want to sign anyone. A player forced to leave a club they may well want to stay at because of an accounting error is not going to lead to a happy and productive player at another club.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

GB72 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:32 pm
Scott1 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:20 pm

Not sure I would want to sign anyone. A player forced to leave a club they may well want to stay at because of an accounting error is not going to lead to a happy and productive player at another club.
Tbf If I had a contract offer on the table, then withdrawn because of my employer's mistake I'd be fuming at them and happy to move on
Super User
Super User

The players you would want, we couldn't afford...
Would take the Lloyd brothers or Morahan.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:38 pm The players you would want, we couldn't afford...
But if nobody has the cap space then suddenly players may have to take big pay cuts. I don't think it'll quite get to that stage but there may be some players left having to take big paycuts who weren't expecting it.
Super User
Super User

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:41 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:38 pm The players you would want, we couldn't afford...
But if nobody has the cap space then suddenly players may have to take big pay cuts. I don't think it'll quite get to that stage but there may be some players left having to take big paycuts who weren't expecting it.
& we know from experience how well that goes down.....
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Pay cuts when there is no rugby due to a world wide pandemic is one thing but completely different to a pay cut due to an administrative error by the employer. In no way is this similar to the Salvi issue, Julian had advised Tigers that he was leaving for a better deal in France, he changed his mind when his anticipated deal fell through and after we had signed his replacement so a completely different situation.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

The only Briss player I fancy would be ... keeping Ellis.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

:smt023
Old Hob wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:29 pm The only Briss player I fancy would be ... keeping Ellis.
:smt023 :smt023
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

I thought this was an April fool! Obviously (is it bad to say hopefully?) not!