Bristol in the mire

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: Bristol in the mire

Post by sam16111986 »

SthrnTiger wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:53 am Was obvious Bristol had done this so was expecting them to have to shed a few players for next season.

Other clubs could be Exeter (already seen a number of leavers), and maybe Saracens

Surprised they’ve cocked it up - don’t Bristol fans always boast their owner is an accountant or am I making that up (?)

Overall another salary cap fiasco isn’t a good look for rugby and wouldn’t be surprised if it isn’t the last.
One of the founders of financial services form Hargreaves Landsdown. As the bloke is worth several fortunes and owns more than one Bristol based sports team I doubt very much he has anything to do with the day to day running or indeed general running of the club.
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

ads wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:23 am
isn’t a good look for rugby
Honestly I don't think these salary cap breaches have any effect on how rugby is viewed. I mean its not like all other sports are squeaky clean is it. Finacial fair play rules in football, 'doping' in athletics and cycling, F1 making up the rules as they go along, Tennis stars refusing to play by the covid rules. I'm pretty sure every sports person and team out there is bending the rules as far as they can to gain an advantage. Get too close to the line and someone is going to break it every now and then. Either on purpose on accindentally.

Rugby is and has never has been the lovely clean, virtuous, family sport that people like to think it is. Even in the amature era, remember the 99 call or aparthiede....

Edit: Please don't think I'm condoning any breach of the salary cap. I just don't think it has bearing in the wider sports world.
Football is run by FIFA and the Olympics by the IOC, I think rugby will be just fine in terms of how it is viewed in the sporting landscape, expect by a seemly small number of very self righteous rugby fans. Least we forget about what happened with Harlequins and bloodgate and now in the eyes of the press they walk on water and can do no wrong.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

This reminds me of when I sign up for a free trail but forget to cancel it after using it once.
Then bam get hit with a email saying a payment has been taken out for 1 month for like £10+ ....
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

ads wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:23 am
isn’t a good look for rugby
Honestly I don't think these salary cap breaches have any effect on how rugby is viewed. I mean its not like all other sports are squeaky clean is it. Finacial fair play rules in football, 'doping' in athletics and cycling, F1 making up the rules as they go along, Tennis stars refusing to play by the covid rules. I'm pretty sure every sports person and team out there is bending the rules as far as they can to gain an advantage. Get too close to the line and someone is going to break it every now and then. Either on purpose on accindentally.

Rugby is not and has never has been the lovely clean, virtuous, family sport that people like to think it is. Even in the amature era, remember the 99 call or aparthiede....

Edit: Please don't think I'm condoning any breach of the salary cap. I just don't think it has bearing in the wider sports world.
Totally agree.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I thought this was an April Fools take of Tigers when I saw this morning.
Come on Andrea and Peter make a helicopter available for Ellis and keep him.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Randrana and Pietau alone must take up over a million of their salary cap and they can’t both be marquee players. How you then build a squad of 30 plus players without taking some short cuts allowing for there being some other high earners in there. Rumours were that Thacker went for £250k
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

jgriffin wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:20 am I thought this was an April Fools take of Tigers when I saw this morning.
Come on Andrea and Peter make a helicopter available for Ellis and keep him.
I had to check but first posted yesterday
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:51 am This reminds me of when I sign up for a free trail but forget to cancel it after using it once.
Then bam get hit with a email saying a payment has been taken out for 1 month for like £10+ ....
:smt044 it's exactly this. You would hope you'd put a reminder in your calendar when the stakes are this high though!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:22 am Randrana and Pietau alone must take up over a million of their salary cap and they can’t both be marquee players. How you then build a squad of 30 plus players without taking some short cuts allowing for there being some other high earners in there. Rumours were that Thacker went for £250k
Wasn't Piatau on a million just on his own?!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:50 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:22 am Randrana and Pietau alone must take up over a million of their salary cap and they can’t both be marquee players. How you then build a squad of 30 plus players without taking some short cuts allowing for there being some other high earners in there. Rumours were that Thacker went for £250k
That was what was reported and Radradra was reported to be on £500,000.
Last edited by wigworth on Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

wigworth wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:56 am
That was what was reported.
Worlds highest paid player I think
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:57 am
wigworth wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:56 am

That was what was reported.
Worlds highest paid player I think
Can't say I feel bad at all about their attempt to splash the cash failing to deliver anything, if anything it would have been a bigger failure if they did not luck into getting the Sarries lot on loan for year.
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

To be fair I think Bristol have played some fabulous running rugby over the last few years, and are, for example, a team where young Thacker fits in much more naturally than he previously had at Tigers. It’s pretty clear to me that a large degree of the Bristol flair has its roots in the expensive imported talent, esp from the Pacific. I find it hard to criticise what they have brought to the premiership.

Indeed if I am reading it correctly, the way it sounds, they haven’t yet infringed, but rather are now in a situation where if they are unable to mutually agree to terminate a few contracts of the players on these extension options, then some other random players are just not going to get their contracts renewed. Alternatively, one or more players expected to be arriving at Bristol next season might be asked to “take one for the team” and postpone their arrival for a season.

After all, would it really harm a player to spend an extra season working with one of the worlds best in Aled Walters, if it meant he would be in tip top condition to captain England at the World Cup next year? I think not.
Ashurstwoodtiger

Post by Ashurstwoodtiger »

Hypothetical question.
If Ellis were to stay at Tigers would we have to re-sign him or would he still be contracted to us. Also what impact would it have on the Salary Cap
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Ashurstwoodtiger wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:55 pm Hypothetical question.
If Ellis were to stay at Tigers would we have to re-sign him or would he still be contracted to us. Also what impact would it have on the Salary Cap
We would have to re-sign him IF we have the cap space.

Personally think it's unlikely tbh given it's family reasons why he wants to be in Bristol, those are not likely to have changed now, plus we may have spent that cap. After taking a cut here during Covid I doubt he'll be willing to accept any reductions to his current contract they are offering him
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.