Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Red Roses vs Ireland @ Welford Road - Sunday 24th April - 12-00pm Kick Off

Post by wigworth »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:41 pm
WhitecapTiger wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:36 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:57 am Have the announced the tickets sold number seems quite full
Attendance 15, 836 just shown on TV
Thanks noticed that. Brian Moore just commented that was better having that number in proper rugby stadium like MWWR and Kingsholm rather than rattling round in Twickenham
I agree, it always looks a touch tragic when even if you have a decent number in attendance the stadium looks mostly empty.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

2nd half quality truly told.
Feel sorry for the Irish losing a complete back line, but from what was being said they should have full time contracts soon. According to Brian Moore it’s more about desire than finance
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:41 pm
WhitecapTiger wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:36 pm Attendance 15, 836 just shown on TV
Thanks noticed that. Brian Moore just commented that was better having that number in proper rugby stadium like MWWR and Kingsholm rather than rattling round in Twickenham
Very much agree. The gamble to give the tournament it's own window away from the men has paid off. And they've been spreading the games around the country too, which is the forward thinking needed for growing the game.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Frightening display of power from the Red Roses. Ireland were valiant in the first half, but you can only hold out like that for so long. Can only hope that the proof in England's pudding encourages the other Unions to put their hands in their pockets and commit to catching them up.

Lovely reception for Scarratt! :smt050

Can't wait for the final showdown in Bayonne! Shame it clashes with the Bristol game. Might have to record the 2nd half.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Enjoyable game but a bit too one sided for my liking.
A2O
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Good atmosphere at Welford Road with lots of families.
England were very good and yes, my wife and I hoped Ireland would get a try but England, as any professional side would, were determined to keep them out.
A couple of really bad injuries: one to England and one to Ireland. The poor Irish girl had obviously been badly injured yet unlike the other injuries the ref didn’t stop the game for ages: she was just over the try line the end Irish had just been defending.
The first half went on for an eternity mainly due to lots of “ minor injuries.”
I did wonder if to promote the game more whether those minor injuries could see players replaced whilst players got taped/strapped/ up, to give the ladies game a better flow! Probably a daft idea but with so many youngster watching you could see some of them losing interest!
Great win and Emily Scarlatti kicked very well from the T and out of hand in a strong swirling wind.
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

Really enjoyed the afternoon - agree with Ian that the atmosphere was terrific, with a good rendition of both national anthems. Great display by the Roses. Can’t wait for the. World Cup in NZ!
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I have enjoyed watching the Womens 6 nations and it is clear how the quality of some of the nations are improving especially when professional.
However I am curious as to how good they would be if competing in the mens game. When you watch womens athletics you can measure exactly the level of performance and we know that they are equivalent to very high quality male athletes but that is a very long established discipline. In horse riding they are equivalent or better .. but what about team sports like Rugby football and cricket?
I think the cricketers are further down the track and it is the pace of bowling that is the marked difference. Football may be a little ahead of rugby also. Skill levels in all of these is high but pace power and dare I say fitness needs improvement, if we are to reach the levels in athletics. I really hope increased professionalism will develop this.
Meanwhile which level of mens rugby would fancy their chances against the Red Roses?
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Have to say worse officiating team I have seen in a very long time male or female
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

mightymouse wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:13 am I have enjoyed watching the Womens 6 nations and it is clear how the quality of some of the nations are improving especially when professional.
However I am curious as to how good they would be if competing in the mens game. When you watch womens athletics you can measure exactly the level of performance and we know that they are equivalent to very high quality male athletes but that is a very long established discipline. In horse riding they are equivalent or better .. but what about team sports like Rugby football and cricket?
I think the cricketers are further down the track and it is the pace of bowling that is the marked difference. Football may be a little ahead of rugby also. Skill levels in all of these is high but pace power and dare I say fitness needs improvement, if we are to reach the levels in athletics. I really hope increased professionalism will develop this.
Meanwhile which level of mens rugby would fancy their chances against the Red Roses?
It’s a question I have asked and in a game where power and pace are key it’s very difficult. The woman’s game has come on leaps and bounds and I really enjoyed Englands performance.
In terms of comparison I would say they would struggle against most championship sides and National league 1 would give a good game
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

I would put the Red Roses at about the same standard as Vipers Colts. It is not just to do with power or pace, but skill. The last time I tried to watch women's rugby, I wished Luxembourg vs Germany (mens) were on the TV instead. I am all for promoting the women's game, but in all honesty, it is not up to scratch for TV yet IMHO.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Pellsey wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:30 am I would put the Red Roses at about the same standard as Vipers Colts. It is not just to do with power or pace, but skill. The last time I tried to watch women's rugby, I wished Luxembourg vs Germany (mens) were on the TV instead. I am all for promoting the women's game, but in all honesty, it is not up to scratch for TV yet IMHO.
Before I watched yesterday, I admit I have avoided before and watched because it was at MWWR, I would have agreed with you, but even given the one sided nature of the contest I would say that the skill showed on both sides of the ball was at a decent level and the ferocity of some the hits was right up there
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:42 am
Pellsey wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:30 am I would put the Red Roses at about the same standard as Vipers Colts. It is not just to do with power or pace, but skill. The last time I tried to watch women's rugby, I wished Luxembourg vs Germany (mens) were on the TV instead. I am all for promoting the women's game, but in all honesty, it is not up to scratch for TV yet IMHO.
Before I watched yesterday, I admit I have avoided before and watched because it was at MWWR, I would have agreed with you, but even given the one sided nature of the contest I would say that the skill showed on both sides of the ball was at a decent level and the ferocity of some the hits was right up there
Thanks RG. I have to admit, I have not watched women's rugby for a while, but I am very happy to be proven wrong. I will try it once again.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Maybe the other comparison could be against age group England rugby because power would be reduced. For example I think under 18s might win against the women but not under 16
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

mightymouse wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:00 pm Maybe the other comparison could be against age group England rugby because power would be reduced. For example I think under 18s might win against the women but not under 16
Very good call, the ladies have certainly upped their physicality