Steve Borthwick

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Steve Borthwick

Post by GB72 »

My concern is bigger than just Borthwick. The worry has to be that the RFU will want the full coaching set up.

I guess much will depend on how we finish off this season and how we perform next season. Unlikely but this season could be a one off.

Then again, the RFU have tried for Baxter a few times and he has not been interested so maybe SB would rather be at club level or the time being rather than dealing with RFU politics and media pressure. it is a big commitment to take them on for a full 4 year world cup cycle. Equally, Exeter seem to have hit a bit if a rut in comparision to previous years and maybe now is the time to approach Baxter.

With the RFU looking for an English coach and an announcement before the 23 World Cup, the options really are limited beyond those 2. You will not get someone to sign up if they are taking a team to the World Cup (that is Farrell and Edwards out) and nobody else really put their hands up. Guessing the only other option would be to promote Cockers.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

“ My concern is bigger than just Borthwick. The worry has to be that the RFU will want the full coaching set up. ”

Something I’ve said many times,very scary! But very possible too,it’s a ready made team straight in no messing. If Borths goes,the package follows him. I’m 99% sure about that!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:25 pm “ My concern is bigger than just Borthwick. The worry has to be that the RFU will want the full coaching set up. ”

Something I’ve said many times,very scary! But very possible too,it’s a ready made team straight in no messing. If Borths goes,the package follows him. I’m 99% sure about that!
My guess would be that Tigers would be looking for a fee from the RFU if this is what they want. However, Borthwick is just at the start of the journey and may want to see it through to fruition.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:40 pm
Scott1 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:25 pm “ My concern is bigger than just Borthwick. The worry has to be that the RFU will want the full coaching set up. ”

My guess would be that Tigers would be looking for a fee from the RFU if this is what they want. However, Borthwick is just at the start of the journey and may want to see it through to fruition.
🤞
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

I would be surprised if Aled worked for England, the bloke is proudly Welsh, working for SA is one thing, the enemy is another...
My main worry with him would be he hasn't stopped at the same place that long, if the WRU came calling I would be more worried.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Lets face it, if we're successful they'll be demands on our players and staff, but if we're successful we're an attractive place to bring talent, so long as we plan well and know where we stand we can replace and develop coaches in the right places
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I guess I view it as Borthwick, Aled and Kev are laying the foundations who ever comes in will have it a lot easier.
Reality is all coaching teams have shelf lives, I feel like tigers have started to invest in the coaching future players like Wigglesworth and Gopperth for example.

I worry for Borthwick more than Tigers tbh, for a man who doesn't like the media asking questions how will he handle the England job if they have a bit of a down trend?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:49 pm I would be surprised if Aled worked for England, the bloke is proudly Welsh, working for SA is one thing, the enemy is another...
My main worry with him would be he hasn't stopped at the same place that long, if the WRU came calling I would be more worried.
Can’t get more English than Shaun Edwards mate 😂
Super User
Super User

Scott1 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:01 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:49 pm I would be surprised if Aled worked for England, the bloke is proudly Welsh, working for SA is one thing, the enemy is another...
Can’t get more English than Shaun Edwards mate 😂
Trouble is the English RFU don't like him.
Just struggle to imagine Aled with the Red Rose on his chest.
You don't get more "English" than Rupert Moon either..
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

If the money was right, I could forget about any rivalry!

The English coach thing.,,.worked well with Lancaster….
Super User
Super User

westwinds31 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:00 pm
If the money was right, I could forget about any rivalry!

The English coach thing.,,.worked well with Lancaster….
Lancaster nice bloke, seems to fit in well at Leinster, but should never of got the job....it was an opposite of Johnno appointment.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

We're talking about professionals, I'm pretty confident Aled isn't childish enough to see England as "the enemy".

He and Sinfield have worked with Borthwick for less than 2 years, why do people now assume they're joined at the hip?

Borthwick himself was with Eddie Jones for much longer but had to move on to advance his career.

Borthwick might go to England, he might not. Others might go with him, they might not.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

The Times are suggesting Baxter as an England DoR and Borthwick as head coach. Then Borthwick doesn't have to be concerned with the media, which he doesn't enjoy all that much
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Tiglon wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:30 pm We're talking about professionals, I'm pretty confident Aled isn't childish enough to see England as "the enemy".

He and Sinfield have worked with Borthwick for less than 2 years, why do people now assume they're joined at the hip?

Borthwick himself was with Eddie Jones for much longer but had to move on to advance his career.

Borthwick might go to England, he might not. Others might go with him, they might not.
Who said anything about being joined at the hip? Strange how a couple of posters on here make up these narratives and run with them?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:50 pm The Times are suggesting Baxter as an England DoR and Borthwick as head coach. Then Borthwick doesn't have to be concerned with the media, which he doesn't enjoy all that much
That sounds dumb.
If the team is doing badly Borthwick would have to be concerned with the media.