Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Steve Borthwick

Post by Dangerous4 »

sam16111986 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:52 pm
Scott1 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:18 pm The whole thing of why I’m almost convinced Borths would take the coaching team with him is precisely due to the debate that’s been having now. He’s definitely not gonna go and work with someone he doesn’t want to if he does agree to any England employment and will want to run things so him working under Baxter has two chances,slim and none,and slim has just left the building.
Borthwick inherited most of his current team and brought in only Wigglesworth and Sinfield. Wigglesworth he knew before but he doesn't have enough experience to take on the England attack job. Sinfield doesn't have masses of experience as a defence coach but he's doing a great job. Given Sinfield's leadership qualities he would be in the running for head coach here if he stays.

Borthwick is pragmatic enough to take what he wants from the existing England set up and then blend with whom else he wants from wherever else. That may be from Tigers it may not, Borthwick has worked with plenty of other coaches before with Japan and England.
This is my line of thought also. Sinfield would seem a good bet if S B was to depart, and might well prefer to stay as Tiger's boss than to follow into the England camp.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Dangerous4 wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:02 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:52 pm
Scott1 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:18 pm The whole thing of why I’m almost convinced Borths would take the coaching team with him is precisely due to the debate that’s been having now. He’s definitely not gonna go and work with someone he doesn’t want to if he does agree to any England employment and will want to run things so him working under Baxter has two chances,slim and none,and slim has just left the building.
Borthwick inherited most of his current team and brought in only Wigglesworth and Sinfield. Wigglesworth he knew before but he doesn't have enough experience to take on the England attack job. Sinfield doesn't have masses of experience as a defence coach but he's doing a great job. Given Sinfield's leadership qualities he would be in the running for head coach here if he stays.

Borthwick is pragmatic enough to take what he wants from the existing England set up and then blend with whom else he wants from wherever else. That may be from Tigers it may not, Borthwick has worked with plenty of other coaches before with Japan and England.
This is my line of thought also. Sinfield would seem a good bet if S B was to depart, and might well prefer to stay as Tiger's boss than to follow into the England camp.
Only issue might be he considers it a little early to jump into a top job.

Mind you fingers crossed Steve decides he'll have a look at England in the world cup cycle after next as Eddie is a bit unusual in seeing more than one world cup given the four before him didn't.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Alex Lowe article in the Times today, a chat with Andrea and Steve - a good read
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

TigerCam wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:08 am Alex Lowe article in the Times today, a chat with Andrea and Steve - a good read
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/id-b ... -zfwvs8n7n

Some interesting comments in there including.

“You don’t get this opportunity very often, to try and lift up the biggest club in the country,” Borthwick says. “Being brutally honest, I didn’t expect to find the team where it was. It was an eye-opener. There have been a lot of sleepless nights. A few choice words were had. The players work hard now compared to what they did. I think there’s a pride in what they do and they are starting to come together and feel something for the club.”
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I really think Steve going to England at this stage of his career isn't the right move.
Reality is it's end game level for coaches.

A bad stint at England early and you can have clubs never wanting you.
Lancaster has done well considering but at the same time he isn't even the head guy at Leinster.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:39 pm I really think Steve going to England at this stage of his career isn't the right move.
Reality is it's end game level for coaches.

A bad stint at England early and you can have clubs never wanting you.
Lancaster has done well considering but at the same time he isn't even the head guy at Leinster.
Yes SL is happy being in the background and out the firing line Leinster
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer