Steve Borthwick

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Steve Borthwick

Post by Dangerous4 »

I'm very concerned that Steve Borthwick will be offered the England coaching role, and will be lost to us.

Thoughts?
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Steve Borthwick

Post by wigworth »

Dangerous4 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:09 pm I'm very concerned that Steve Borthwick will be offered the England coaching role, and will be lost to us.

Thoughts?
There is pretty much a 0% chance this happens, the only way Eddie gets fired is if England lose all their 6 nations games next year, which won't happen.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Not sure he would want it. Doesn’t suit his style and he is very uncomfortable with the media side of things. IMO no way England will go for an untried England head coach, and it won’t happen until after the World Cup unless Jones resigns.

As others have mentioned Edwards and Farrell are likely to be in the pecking order ahead of him, though not sure either of those would want it.
All this is media speculation because of a relatively poor 6 nations and Borthwicks amazing turnaround with Tigers. If we were 5th or 6th in the Premiership he wouldn’t be being mentioned
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

The England Role is a bit of a dead end, fine if you win the RWC, not great if you don't.

Borthwick has inside knowledge of the role, that could work either way..
To win is not as important as playing with style!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

They've confirmed it will be an English coach. My money, alas, would be on SB.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

jgriffin wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:14 pm They've confirmed it will be an English coach. My money, alas, would be on SB.
Depending on the RWC I think they would look at Farrell first, especially if Ireland don’t reach at least the semis
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Yes Farrell and Edwards first post RWC
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

“Steve, you’ve won the World Cup how do you feel ?”
“”We’ll, we’re not thinking about that, we just want to get better every game, improve as players and take it game by game. I’m impressed by the effort of the players”
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I think Edwards is the one who would not take it if offered .. I can tell you exactly what he thinks of the RFU cronies .. but it wouldn’t be polite
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Sweeney has said he would like it to be an English coach, and that they have set up a "war room" (tell me you like wearing blazers without telling me you like wearing blazers) to keep tabs on all the potential English candidates. They've also said that they would like the person to join the setup before the RWC, because that's what France did with Galthie and France are good now so that one thing will surely make England good too... right?

Will any of that actually happen? Or will The War Room actually come up with the answer "Warren Gatland"? Who knows.

Would Borthwick be in the running? Of course he would. Would Borthwick want the job? Only he can answer that, but I suspect part of the challenge for the RFU is not so much finding the right person as it is finding a person who wants it.
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

Well according to BBC Radio Leicester, Borthwick is the man the RFU want to take over after the 2023 World Cup
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:05 pm Well according to BBC Radio Leicester, Borthwick is the man the RFU want to take over after the 2023 World Cup
His name will be in the hat for sure but they know as much as the rest of us
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

I don’t know. They do usually get information before we do and it’s usually correct
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Never wanted EJ to succeed and stay on as much as I do now - and I believe in Santa
Hehehehehehehehe
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:13 pm I don’t know. They do usually get information before we do and it’s usually correct
Not since Borthwick has been in charge though