London Irish (H) - 29th March 2022 - Prem Cup

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: London Irish (H) - 29th March 2022 - Prem Cup

Post by KiwiTig »

Great night …really was fantastic but beyond that we got to see so many lads compete so well ! Set piece was strong ..great to actually see the journey all the way from its beginnings
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Illione definitely a future prospect, worked very hard to good effect tonight on and Jansen is an aggressive abrasive back row forward who oddly seemed to pack down at lock a fair bit.
Chessum line work is good but restarts were a mare! A bit more bulk and power and he could be the real deal ..?he’s a bit of an uncoordinated baby giraffe at the moment but that will improve over next couple of years .. taller than his brother when I saw them embrace at the end of the game.
Will Hurd is definitely worth watching.. he more than held his own against Allan Dell .. a current Scottish international ( ok only 5thchoice) but came off the bench in recent 6 nations and didn’t disgrace himself! Hurd has bulk and power, improving technique in the tight and puts in a good shift in defence.. would like to see him improve his carrying game now but so far so good
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Oh .. and must mention Hegs .. not always been his biggest fan but he had a great game tonight and deservedly won fans favourite
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

mightymouse wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:23 pm Oh .. and must mention Hegs .. not always been his biggest fan but he had a great game tonight and deservedly won fans favourite
But his kicking from hand was terrible and a bit off with a couple of place kicks, but attacking wise he was very good.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Some very sloppy play tonight by both sides, some very good, but I've just got to explain one of the restarts which was a farce. Irish drop out, I think it was Chessum Jnr? failed to get under the ball, 20 metres out from our line, it bounced over him, hit the deck and rolled towards our try line, no one laid a hand on the rolling ball and Cockanasigna following up ran through and touched it down for a try. :smt017
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

No mention of Sam Edwards? For me he was the standout player last night. Really quick to the breakdown and seems to always be keen on raising the tempo. Emeka a close second, hoping he can kick on now over his shoulder injury.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Watching the replay I saw the whole first half, before I left for work

So 2nd and back row shirt numbers were as follows

Agbonbon 4
Chessum 5
Ilione 6
Robinson 7
Jansen 8

However on our ball, Jansen packed down with Chessum in the 2nd row, Agbongbon at 6 and Ilione 8. London Irish didn't have a scrum in the first half so can't say if that would have been the same on defensive scrums...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

TigerMac3 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:47 am No mention of Sam Edwards? For me he was the standout player last night. Really quick to the breakdown and seems to always be keen on raising the tempo. Emeka a close second, hoping he can kick on now over his shoulder injury.
I'll watch the game back later but I've seen three or four games involving Edwards and I don't think I'm seen him run with the ball yet. I don't think he'll get many mentions during the text updates during games because of that. Agree his passing and kicking games are both very good and he does get the ball out of the ruck and set a good tempo. Plays like an experienced scrum half despite being 19.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Highlights look good. Lots of line out drive tries.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Our fitness was quite telling as per usual, Irish must have had at least half a dozen cramp treatments!
glenn

Post by glenn »

Restarts need serious work done on them. We were terrible and that's being nice!
Illione was immense
Jansen stood tall too
Our backs were average, Browning was a non entity I'm afraid
They had some big lads in the pack, their 2nd rows were huge!
The pair of Joseph and cockanasinga were on top throughout constantly breaking our tackles
We were better 2nd half
. Need to improve first up tackles and catching ball in the air
They scored a try from a great pre planned line out too
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Chessum was a victim of his own height on the restarts, didn't need to jump on occasions or needed to step further back before jumping, teething issues I'm sure nothing more, but he was very impressive in the lineout.

Illione certainly was very good.

Jansen packed down at lock at scrum to give a bit more weight, I rate Agbongbon but especially alongside a lanky second row in Chessum it was better that he packed down at 6 rather than at 4.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I was at the game a nd have now watched the full match recording, of the youngsters impressed by Illione, Jansen and Edwards, Chessum has improved a lot since I last saw him play and has bulked up a bit. Hurd and Lancaster played well in fact a good all round performance from the squad with the more experienced players putting in a decent shift as well.
There did seem to be a problem with a couple of restarts for both teams, maybe something to do with playing under lights.
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

LE18 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:46 pm
mightymouse wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:23 pm Oh .. and must mention Hegs .. not always been his biggest fan but he had a great game tonight and deservedly won fans favourite
But his kicking from hand was terrible and a bit off with a couple of place kicks, but attacking wise he was very good.
I think you’re a little harsh on his kicking from hand. Yes, a few went astray, but overall I felt our back 3 edged the positional battle. Given the talent in the LI back 3 I thought that was a good result. Arundell, after all, gave a much stronger Tigers team some anxious moments in the Premiership match a few weeks ago.