Exeter (A) - Sunday 27th March 2022

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Exeter (A) - Sunday 27th March 2022

Post by Rugbygramps »

Game on 1 week today, and for once I have hopes of bus coming back from Sandy Park with something. Unsure what the situation is with the England players and mandatory rest periods, fairly sure that in previous years they have played the week after the 6 nations. With that in mind I’m going to try and read SBs mind and make a selection.

Steward
Potter
Moroni
Kelly
Nadolo
Burns
Wigglesworth
Genge
Montoya
Cole
Wells
Chessum
Liebenberg
Reffell
Wiese

Bench - Dolly, Whitcombe, Heyes, Snyman, Martin, Youngs, Ford, Scott.

If there isn’t a mandatory rest period I think Steward will be fine, but ideally Genge would need a rest, but try telling him that.
If the England lad aren’t available, then there are plenty of options to replace
Tigerbeat

Re: Exeter (A) - Sunday 27th March 2022

Post by Tigerbeat »

Did the players not have rest weekends during the six nations. Previously they were required to be rested prior to the Six Nations
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:41 am Did the players not have rest weekends during the six nations. Previously they were required to be rested prior to the Six Nations
I think they have to have a rest weekend between now and the end of the season which would be taken care of by the bye weekend
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

I would start Genge on the bench, it might be a way of making Exeter 2nd guess us. If Cole is fit it would make a big difference.

I would start Burns but it will be Ford.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I am confident we are in a better place than Exeter at the moment, but away games are always tough in this league, we will need our best performance to win for sure, but we are the form team.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Borthwick has often shown he's willing to rotate some of the players for away games but with 2 games in 3 days I expect a stronger team, especially with the bye week after.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

By my reckoning 3 wins will guarantee top 2(possibly 2 wins) so target our 2 home games + Falcons away.
A2O
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:17 am Borthwick has often shown he's willing to rotate some of the players for away games but with 2 games in 3 days I expect a stronger team, especially with the bye week after.
I honestly think that moving forward PRC excepted we will have the best team available every week. No more need for rotation with the bye week. I think Tuesday team will be made up of some from the Newcastle match made up with those that need some game time in case of injuries, Claire, Green, Porter, Hegarty etc.
With regard to Ford I would hope he is on the bench for Exeter then give him a half against Irish if required. Disagree that he will definitely start against Exeter, but SB will want him match sharp for Clermont away
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Tigers 19 games played, Points 76
Sarries 18 games played, Points 64
Quins 19 games played, Points 63
Exeter 19 games played, Points 56

Tigers, Quins and Exeter have bye weeks So max points they can get now is 25. If the target is just home semi then Sarries don't matter.

Tigers
Exeter (A)
BYE
Quins (A)
Bristol (H)
Falcons (A)
Wasps (H)

Quins
BYE
Irish (A)
Tigers (H)
Saints (A)
Gloucester (H)
Exeter (A)

Exeter
Tigers (H)
Bath (A)
Sarries (A)
BYE
Bristol (A)
Quins (H)

All 3 teams have European games us v Clermont, Quins v Monte and Exeter v Munster
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

10 points looks like it will do for top 2
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Quins are the biggest threat to our top two but they have the toughest run in.
A2O
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

ay2oh wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:53 am Quins are the biggest threat to our top two but they have the toughest run in.
Agreed on both points but 10 points should be enough no matter what Quins do
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Yep 2 bonus point wins or three wins of any type
A2O
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

I think it's dangerous to target certain games. We are well capable of winning all the remaining fixtures, with a bit of luck with injuries and no silly cards.....

SB will quickly ascertain the physical and mental state of the England boys and make a decision on whether to play them or not.

Genge is really the only one who might need a rest, but with a bye week following, if he's fit and firing, let him off the leash!!

It would be a real statement to beat Exeter away, and confidence/momentum going into the play offs will be crucial.
Soggypitch
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Soggypitch wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:02 pm I think it's dangerous to target certain games. We are well capable of winning all the remaining fixtures, with a bit of luck with injuries and no silly cards.....

SB will quickly ascertain the physical and mental state of the England boys and make a decision on whether to play them or not.

Genge is really the only one who might need a rest, but with a bye week following, if he's fit and firing, let him off the leash!!

It would be a real statement to beat Exeter away, and confidence/momentum going into the play offs will be crucial.
Borthwick has always rotated and picked what many of us would perceive as a "weakened team" on the road, but he also always gives them a gameplan that may work, he never throws the game he sends a team capable of winning if they execute well but not the out and out best 23 every time. That is perfect for where we are now, no complacency and gets minutes in the full squad's legs.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.