Exeter (A) - Sunday 27th March 2022

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Exeter (A) - Sunday 27th March 2022

Post by wigworth »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:58 am Of the decisions that frustrated me, the one I found most irritating was the Genge "no arms tackle"

1. It was hard for the ref to see, so I get he missed it, thats fine.

2. The TMO has to keep watching the live play too, so he's only got a super quick rewatch to say if it needs checking or not. So am happy for him to say after a brief glimpse, yep we could do with reviewing this.

3. On the full inspection both the ref and TMO agree it's just a penalty, no foul play. So they award the penalty on the 10m line in their half.

All of those 3 points I'd be happy with, but we'd just turned the ball over on our own 22. That's a heck of a gain for Exeter before they lost the ball. Any normal penalty would have been advantage over. Once the check was complete and it was decided it wasn't foul play how come they still got the penalty? To my mind once they decided it wasn't a penalty, we should have had a scrum where we turned the ball over because that was an enormous advantage they had played essentially because they wanted to check for foul play. I get if it'd been foul play and a card had been dished you could argue they deserved to have those phases against a weakened team, but it turned out after a check (and I was perfectly happy for it to be checked) it WASN'T foul play, why did they get an enormous advantage to play with.
It effectively allows a team to play with a penalty advantage for several minutes which is very unfair.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

The advantage rule is a joke. Basically the team in position could go through 30:phases from one 22 to the other and then cock it up and the ref brings it back for a penalty. The law needs changing to incorporate a yardage after which advantage is over.
A2O
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Quick aside interviews on LTTV are with a lady. Anyone know what’s happened to Bondi
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:23 am Quick aside interviews on LTTV are with a lady. Anyone know what’s happened to Bondi
He sometimes doesn't travel to all away games. I think he sometimes has weekends off etc.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:26 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:23 am Quick aside interviews on LTTV are with a lady. Anyone know what’s happened to Bondi
He sometimes doesn't travel to all away games. I think he sometimes has weekends off etc.
Thanks TFS
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

ay2oh wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:22 am The advantage rule is a joke. Basically the team in position could go through 30:phases from one 22 to the other and then cock it up and the ref brings it back for a penalty. The law needs changing to incorporate a yardage after which advantage is over.
There is a yardage gain isn't there? Doesn't happen a lot but I've seen refs call a penalty advantage over when a team say for example gets from their 22 to their opponents 22
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Can’t remember seeing an advantage over call for a penalty offence unless there is a try scored.
A2O
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

ay2oh wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:03 am Can’t remember seeing an advantage over call for a penalty offence unless there is a try scored.
I've seen a few times,that's why I thought maybe there is a law as regards to metres gained. Be worth looking up
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

"Referees signal advantage by waving an arm forward and calling “advantage!”.

As play continues, they may keep an arm raised to show the players and supporters that the team is still playing under the advantage rule.

When referees decide that the non-offending team has gained enough territory or a chance to score, they will call “advantage over”.
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:26 am "Referees signal advantage by waving an arm forward and calling “advantage!”.

As play continues, they may keep an arm raised to show the players and supporters that the team is still playing under the advantage rule.

When referees decide that the non-offending team has gained enough territory or a chance to score, they will call “advantage over”.
It is a bit vague and doesn't give any definitive answer as to how long it should go on for, but in general I feel most refs do a pretty good job of applying it.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

wigworth wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:29 am
Scott1 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:26 am "Referees signal advantage by waving an arm forward and calling “advantage!”.

It is a bit vague and doesn't give any definitive answer as to how long it should go on for, but in general I feel most refs do a pretty good job of applying it.
Yes there's no set gain. You don't see it a lot tbf. I think they do a good job in the main too,but there are some ridiculous ones that stand out
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

The advantage law is hard to make definitive based on yardage/time.

Generally I think the officials do a good job.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Maybe she is learning her trade, I don't want to be too harsh... but Bondi does a much better job.

Also not sure if they are given the questions to ask by others. Some are just cringeworthy like "Were you surprised at how Exeter came back at you in that second half?" Seriously!?
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

A more general point but relates to yesterday. I try and be level-headed about performance and appreciate that it's hard to hit the heights of Saints away every week, plus circumstances dictate to a certain extent, weather, opposition etc. We really have perfected this strangehold on teams from the kick off. We absolutely suffocated Chiefs and there was nowhere for them to go. Really good mix of attacking play and when it broke down, we'd clearly identified space in behind that, if the ball pops up favourably, happy days, but if not we're going to get the ball back anyway. Still marvelling at Ford cross-field kick...Ashton didn't have to move - sublime. The only downside was, we really should have been out of sight at the 30 minute mark. A knock-on here, a ball that doesn't quite go to hand there and it could have been 30+ to nil at half-time. Then there's the inevitable Chiefs hair-dryer at half-time and they come out firing, but it's nice to rely on your defence, knowing that we can force errors or there's somebody (usually Montoya) who will come up with the miracle turnover. Very impressive overall with just that middle period where we seem to invite pressure onto ourselves through silly penalties and general discipline problems. It's almost as if we lose concentration, then have to re-set and pick it back up.

Looking at the play-offs now, a home semi-final is vital, given I think we can beat anyone at home. Quins I suspect will get better as the pitches harden up and will be a massive threat, but I can't see anyone, assuming it will be Quins, Saints, or Gloucester beating us at MWWR. The final is a different thing, if we were to get Sarries it would be a tough one. Anyway, a few more games to come before that to enjoy. :smt041
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

westwinds31 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:20 am A more general point but relates to yesterday. I try and be level-headed about performance and appreciate that it's hard to hit the heights of Saints away every week, plus circumstances dictate to a certain extent, weather, opposition etc. We really have perfected this strangehold on teams from the kick off. We absolutely suffocated Chiefs and there was nowhere for them to go. Really good mix of attacking play and when it broke down, we'd clearly identified space in behind that, if the ball pops up favourably, happy days, but if not we're going to get the ball back anyway. Still marvelling at Ford cross-field kick...Ashton didn't have to move - sublime. The only downside was, we really should have been out of sight at the 30 minute mark. A knock-on here, a ball that doesn't quite go to hand there and it could have been 30+ to nil at half-time. Then there's the inevitable Chiefs hair-dryer at half-time and they come out firing, but it's nice to rely on your defence, knowing that we can force errors or there's somebody (usually Montoya) who will come up with the miracle turnover. Very impressive overall with just that middle period where we seem to invite pressure onto ourselves through silly penalties and general discipline problems. It's almost as if we lose concentration, then have to re-set and pick it back up.

Looking at the play-offs now, a home semi-final is vital, given I think we can beat anyone at home. Quins I suspect will get better as the pitches harden up and will be a massive threat, but I can't see anyone, assuming it will be Quins, Saints, or Gloucester beating us at MWWR. The final is a different thing, if we were to get Sarries it would be a tough one. Anyway, a few more games to come before that to enjoy. :smt041
Best case scenario for the playoff’s imo is Saracens 2nd Quins 3rd. Confident we can beat anyone at home which for what it’s worth I think will be Gloucester whether they get 4 or 5 points from the Worcester no show