Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Second rows

Post by Scott1 »

I'm looking forward to seeing Manz!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

As others (and me on occasion!) have said - it would be great to see Martin and Chessum given time in the 2nd row as that pair could be international class pretty quickly.

I imagine they wouldn’t be paired together initially but maybe rotated alongside Snyman, Wells and Green over a period and then put together in specific games that suit development.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Lots of people have said similar but for my money, I'd say our lock options next season could be:

First choice pairing for me at the moment:
Wells - has been outstanding for us this season and is on the cusp of the International bracket but is being kept out by some fantastic players.
Snyman - solid player, puts in great effort and has been a good signing for me. Has made a few costly errors recently but it's a team effort not just down to one player.

2 players I really hope we get to see in the second row very soon:
Martin
Chessum
Both are International quality and with Hanro nailed on at 6 (he can cover second row, 7 and 8 but 6 is his best position for me), hopefully MVS at 7 and Wiese at 8 perhaps the second row would be a smart option for 2 top class players that are not able to get regular starts in the back row.

Other options:
Henderson - big potential just been unlucky recently with injury. Could be a Crofty in the making given time.. have been impressed with what I have seen from him thus far.
Green - Squad player but huge experience at Premiership level and someone who is likely to be on less wages than some of the bigger names. Also seems happy to rotate round with the others as required.

In all honesty I think the squad is gelling nicely, players are putting their hand up when given the chance and I really expect Martin, Chessum and Henderson to all play a big part in our second row options next season. Would I like to see someone like Kruis at Tigers, absolutely but I think the pack is shaping up nicely for next season:

Whitcombe, Montoya, Cole, Wells, Martin, Liebenberg, Van Staden, Wiese would do nicely for me with TBC, Dolly, Heyes, Snyman, Henderson, Chessum, Reffell, Martin providing excellent depth.

A new loosehead would be my focus, then a winger (Radwan)
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

If the rumours started by fissler that Nadolo might be going home for family reason, we might just need a winger, we have some real talent, but maybe if Olowefela is not growing into the required role, an import might be needed.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

tigerburnie wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:22 pm If the rumours started by fissler that Nadolo might be going home for family reason, we might just need a winger, we have some real talent, but maybe if Olowefela is not growing into the required role, an import might be needed.
I'm fairly certain that Olowafela, Sam Aspland-Robinson, Kobus van Wyk and Harry Simmons won't be retained beyond the end of the season. I also think that Ashton will be kept on beyond the end of the season (purely in terms of the amount of game time he's got after signing a short-term deal) but there will need to be some additional wing options brought in, even if they give Browning a squad slot for next season.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:08 pm
tigerburnie wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:00 pm
Chobbsy wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:23 pm

We have won matches that is all, we want to win premierships and Europe, secular to accumulate
Oh ye of little faith, this group of players can win all the above, this is our first full season and we sit top of the league, sitting comfortably in the Euro Cup, we can and will get better. This season I think anyone with any understanding of the game will have had top 6 as a must, top 4 as a nice to have, top 2 was not even on this optimists radar. We are on track to building a very strong squad, undefeated at Welford Road all season, when did we last do that?
Bringing in so called "stars" bed blocking our own talent did not work the last time the club tried to buy success, bringing in seasoned player/coaches to bring on our own youngsters is proving to work. With a side that recently averaged 21 years of age when we took the field, our future is spot on. We have a replacement leader in Hanro, a replacement loosehead in James Whitcombe and 7 players in the England squad for the next 6 nations match, I can't think of where we "need" to bring in other players, unless someone is leaving I would leave the side to develop.
I find myself in total agreement with you. Unless there is an opportunity to replace quality with quality, for instance if MVS did have to hang up his boots, Matera would be like for like in terms of quality, it is much better to develop from within, if the quality is there
We have tried Matera, he didn't work out probably because he was hardly ever played granted, but I rate him extremely highly so wouldn't be sad to see him arrive again
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

If we need a winger Leicester Faingunuku (apologies for the spelling) would fit the bill and just think of all the marketing possibilities
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Chobbsy wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:11 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:08 pm
tigerburnie wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:00 pm
Oh ye of little faith, this group of players can win all the above, this is our first full season and we sit top of the league, sitting comfortably in the Euro Cup, we can and will get better. This season I think anyone with any understanding of the game will have had top 6 as a must, top 4 as a nice to have, top 2 was not even on this optimists radar. We are on track to building a very strong squad, undefeated at Welford Road all season, when did we last do that?
Bringing in so called "stars" bed blocking our own talent did not work the last time the club tried to buy success, bringing in seasoned player/coaches to bring on our own youngsters is proving to work. With a side that recently averaged 21 years of age when we took the field, our future is spot on. We have a replacement leader in Hanro, a replacement loosehead in James Whitcombe and 7 players in the England squad for the next 6 nations match, I can't think of where we "need" to bring in other players, unless someone is leaving I would leave the side to develop.
I find myself in total agreement with you. Unless there is an opportunity to replace quality with quality, for instance if MVS did have to hang up his boots, Matera would be like for like in terms of quality, it is much better to develop from within, if the quality is there
We have tried Matera, he didn't work out probably because he was hardly ever played granted, but I rate him extremely highly so wouldn't be sad to see him arrive again
Very young first time round and I believe just didn’t settle. Older and wiser now and has lived in France
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Matera had a few injury issues when he was here first time around but was also playing in an era where experience trumped ability in a Tigers side that was starting that downward drift with experienced jounrneymen preferred over youngsters.
He was also in an era where your face had to fit and once the coaching staff decided it didn't you might as well leave.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

mol2 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:25 am Matera had a few injury issues when he was here first time around but was also playing in an era where experience trumped ability in a Tigers side that was starting that downward drift with experienced jounrneymen preferred over youngsters.
He was also in an era where your face had to fit and once the coaching staff decided it didn't you might as well leave.
As has been stated many times on here some years back Cockers was asked at an open supporters forum as to why we did not give Matera a new contract. He told us that Matera was offered a new contract but his response was protracted and meanwhile he was away and played for Argentina vs New Zealand. During that match he sustained a serious shoulder injury post which Matera contacted Tigers to accept the contract offer. In view of the circumstances and the injury Tigers declined. The rest is history.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I think what we can say about Matera is that if he did return ??? He would be a much improved player on his last stint, with quite a tasty left foot if his last game with the Crusaders is anything to by
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:48 am I think what we can say about Matera is that if he did return ??? He would be a much improved player on his last stint, with quite a tasty left foot if his last game with the Crusaders is anything to by
I think he would be an immense signing but I am not convinced that Tigers are now in the business of buying players out of contract especially in the current cash strapped environment.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

sapajo wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:02 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:48 am I think what we can say about Matera is that if he did return ??? He would be a much improved player on his last stint, with quite a tasty left foot if his last game with the Crusaders is anything to by
I think he would be an immense signing but I am not convinced that Tigers are now in the business of buying players out of contract especially in the current cash strapped environment.
Of course you are right but it would depend on a number of factors, such as his contract what funds have been freed up at Tigers etc. we can but wish
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Didn’t know Matera played in the second row,keep on topic please 😂
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Well they are linked IMO.
Another back rower or two and potentially Martin and Chessum might actually become more logical as a partnership next season.