"Afters" - Foot on line at throw ins?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: "Afters" - Foot on line at throw ins?

Post by Nofrontteeth »

I don't know if you're aware but the AR stands next to the hooker at line out and does not use a whistle. He whispers in his ear if needing to correspond to the correct point
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Tiglon wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:40 pm As TigerFeetSteve has pointed out, both feet need to be touching the line, not behind it. It doesn't need a referee to confirm that, it is simply what the law is. The diagrams show the lineout thrower being a foot or so behind the line, that's just to make it a simple illustration - if they showed the feet just touching the line it would be far less clear.

There are hundreds of technical offences that go unpunished in every match. To make it any kind of spectacle the referees have to decide whether the offence makes any material difference to the match and they simply cannot spend 80 minutes arguing about an inch here or there. I know the grumpy old men of the internet like to moan about it but it is what it is.

For all the moaning about lineout throwers being too far forward, and having had the law clarified by TigerFeetSteve, I'm curious as to how often the thrower is actually too far forward and by how far? If throwers are regularly standing a foot inside the pitch then fair enough, it probably needs to be addressed, but I don't think that's the case. If it's an inch, then who honestly cares? Who wants to watch a match where the referee spends the entire time blowing his whistle and asking the thrower to move an inch back, the kicker to move the tee an inch to the right, and the restart kicker to take it again because he kicked it from an inch over the halfway line?

Sorry, but it's pedantic nonsense.
One man's law is another's pedantic nonsense.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Big Dai wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:54 pm
Tiglon wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:40 pm As TigerFeetSteve has pointed out, both feet need to be touching the line, not behind it. It doesn't need a referee to confirm that, it is simply what the law is. The diagrams show the lineout thrower being a foot or so behind the line, that's just to make it a simple illustration - if they showed the feet just touching the line it would be far less clear.

There are hundreds of technical offences that go unpunished in every match. To make it any kind of spectacle the referees have to decide whether the offence makes any material difference to the match and they simply cannot spend 80 minutes arguing about an inch here or there. I know the grumpy old men of the internet like to moan about it but it is what it is.

For all the moaning about lineout throwers being too far forward, and having had the law clarified by TigerFeetSteve, I'm curious as to how often the thrower is actually too far forward and by how far? If throwers are regularly standing a foot inside the pitch then fair enough, it probably needs to be addressed, but I don't think that's the case. If it's an inch, then who honestly cares? Who wants to watch a match where the referee spends the entire time blowing his whistle and asking the thrower to move an inch back, the kicker to move the tee an inch to the right, and the restart kicker to take it again because he kicked it from an inch over the halfway line?

Sorry, but it's pedantic nonsense.
One man's law is another's pedantic nonsense.
And how long would the whistle fest continue? Players behave as they do because they are allowed to. Change the refereeing tolerance, players behaviour will change and a new status quo will be established. We’ve seen it time and again with law changes.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

The problem I have is that law changes I've seen thus far have been reactive. Preventing scrum collapse, preventing spear tackles, preventing the tackle in the air, preventing interference with the lifted jumper and now contact with the head.

The laws of the game that I played served to prevent injury in the first instance.

e.g. being allowing the mark in the air, allowing the hit at the scrum, allowing lifting in the line out.

Doesn't anyone do root cause analysis anymore or do we just have a society of inveterate fiddlers with the law?

Harrumph!

Toys out of pram, coat being collected.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

In junior rugby many years ago this was never tolerated and it annoys me that is is so often allowed in pro rugby now just as the squint feed is annoying.
It should not be tolerated, anymore that taking a penalty from ahead of the correct place shouldn’t or offside or forward pass, or ahead of kicker at kick offs….otherwise where does it all stop.
Personally the way to help it stop is encouragement from the terrace and stands.
Just as we “assist” the referee and touch judges with “not straight” or “forward” or “offside” we should help with “foot fault”.
.. just gently remind the touch huge what the hooker is about to do and then tell him “ I told you so” when he does it .. it’s remarkable how these things change behaviour of players and officials alike .. that’s the whole point of home crowds … we are not only the 16 th player but perhaps more importantly.. the 5th official