"Afters" - Foot on line at throw ins?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: "Afters"

Post by Rugbygramps »

Nofrontteeth wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:24 pm Are we creeping towards soccer 'ignores' like running throws and ball not on the 'D' for corners?
Slow erosion of standards by gamesmanship?
Or is it just common sense there are that many laws that the whistle could literally be blown for every phase of play.
I would rather the officials checked trys were scored correctly
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:16 pm
Nofrontteeth wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:12 pm Re putting in the line - putting in less than 5 is seen to often right under the officials nose.
As for hookers feet - rugby keen on rules/laws so yes if it's in breach ping it!

Big element of winning and losing is not just technical skills and fitness but discipline.
Don’t think I’ve ever heard or seen it be mentioned other than by a couple on here, so don’t think it’s seen as a massive issue
But they penalise the ball not going the 5. It's the simplest law to officiate, no "grey" area.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:59 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:16 pm
Nofrontteeth wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:12 pm Re putting in the line - putting in less than 5 is seen to often right under the officials nose.
As for hookers feet - rugby keen on rules/laws so yes if it's in breach ping it!

Big element of winning and losing is not just technical skills and fitness but discipline.
Don’t think I’ve ever heard or seen it be mentioned other than by a couple on here, so don’t think it’s seen as a massive issue
But they penalise the ball not going the 5. It's the simplest law to officiate, no "grey" area.
We’ll yes because there is an advantage. I’ve asked this question before, give me an example of when a team has gained a definite advantage because the hookers feet are straddling the touch line. If a team wins the ball because the throw doesn’t go 5 metres that is a definite advantage they have won possession.

From the number of times it is obviously something you feel passionate about, so I’ll leave you to it and hope to see it get penalised one day
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

LittleBigG wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:53 pm So, when Muri (rightly) got yellow carded last week and Sarries got a penalty restart, we were confidently informed by the commentators that "it's something they are cracking down on"

This week, after watching the higlights, we see Phipps shove Potter back down into the mud

Unfortunately I think my assertion of "this is the first - and last - time we'll see that this season" won't be too far off the money... :smt012
Having seen it a couple of times I think Phipps tried to jump over Potter just as Potter was standing up. Just accidental, I thought.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

And yes, the hooker standing on the pitch is a major bugbear of mine as well, it is so easy to enforce, just tell the hookers that the law requires them to be off the pitch and if they stand on the pitch to throw in, it's a free kick to the opponents, simple.

One other wish is that the ref had a spray can like in football to mark the spot for a penalty, this would be to stop Dan Biggar pinching 2 yards at each kick! :smt018
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

BengalTiger wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:49 am And yes, the hooker standing on the pitch is a major bugbear of mine as well, it is so easy to enforce, just tell the hookers that the law requires them to be off the pitch and if they stand on the pitch to throw in, it's a free kick to the opponents, simple.

One other wish is that the ref had a spray can like in football to mark the spot for a penalty, this would be to stop Dan Biggar pinching 2 yards at each kick! :smt018
Genuine question, what does the law say re. Hookers throwing in? When the ball is in play and a foot is on the line it counts as in touch, not on the pitch. So when throwing in does the law say behind the line or off the pitch, because a foot on the line counts as off the pitch in normal play?
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

BengalTiger wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:49 am And yes, the hooker standing on the pitch is a major bugbear of mine as well, it is so easy to enforce, just tell the hookers that the law requires them to be off the pitch and if they stand on the pitch to throw in, it's a free kick to the opponents, simple.

Well that’s 2 people I’ve seen who don’t like it. You and WRFC should start a petition
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:41 am

Well that’s 2 people I’ve seen who don’t like it. You and WRFC should start a petition
I think 2m is a gross underestimate.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:49 am

Genuine question, what does the law say re. Hookers throwing in? When the ball is in play and a foot is on the line it counts as in touch, not on the pitch. So when throwing in does the law say behind the line or off the pitch, because a foot on the line counts as off the pitch in normal play?
Generally, the hookers heels are on the line (off the pitch), but lift off when the ball is thrown. It's a case of when does he let go, I suppose.

The one all hookers do, which does gain an advantage, is to take half a step towards their own jumper's side before throwing. Sometimes get told to step back by touch, but they always creep back. So, the ball gets thrown over his own jumpers, not down the middle, making it harder to contest
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

Re 5m at the line don't forget the hooker throws with vigour to the front and team mate dashes forward inside the 5m corridor. As well have the hooker passing hand to hand.

What next they'll be putting the ball into the scrum 2nd row

I watch union not league
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

All players who are taking a kick to touch pinch a metre or two, they are given a mark by the ref, they then stand on the mark and then walk a few steps forward from that mark and then take the kick, if you watch George and Freddie when they are taking kicks they do exactly this.
It’s not good criticising other teams players when our own players are just as culpable.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Lineout throw - foot on the line

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

It seems to be a real bugbear of members of this forum when a hooker stands on the line as they all do during the lineout.

However I wondered about this, so checked the laws and it states this

"The player taking the throw-in must stand at the correct place. The player must not step into the field-of-play when the ball is thrown."

Seems straightforward, however is it worth a deeper look at what in the field of play is defined as. As far as I can see "in the field of play" is defined as "NOT in touch" for example the laws state
"If a player has one foot in the field of play and one foot in touch and holds the ball, the ball is in touch."
So for one foot to be in the field of play by this definition then NONE of the foot can touch the line. So by definition so long as a part of a Hookers foot remains in contact with the line till after the ball is released from his hands then by definition it is not in the field of play, even if toes are in front of the line.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

Fair point
Consistency is what we really all want I’m sure
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

BigDan50 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:58 am All players who are taking a kick to touch pinch a metre or two, they are given a mark by the ref, they then stand on the mark and then walk a few steps forward from that mark and then take the kick, if you watch George and Freddie when they are taking kicks they do exactly this.
It’s not good criticising other teams players when our own players are just as culpable.
We are maybe getting a bit off topic but this is my point exactly, if one team was gaining a material advantage then fair enough but every man and his dog does it. I do like the idea of marking the spot where the penalty kick is taken, if they are kicking for touch the run up starts at the mark with the ball being kicked 5 metres down the park
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Lineout throw - foot on the line

Post by loretta »

Generally, the hookers heels are on the line (off the pitch), but lift off when the ball is thrown. It's a case of when does he let go, I suppose.

The one all hookers do, which does gain an advantage, is to take half a step towards their own jumper's side before throwing. Sometimes get told to step back by touch, but they always creep back. So, the ball gets thrown over his own jumpers, not down the middle, making it harder to contest
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….