Referees

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Referees

Post by BigDan50 »

Got to congratulate Matt Carly & Luke Pearce on their performances this weekend, both have become excellent referees.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Referees

Post by Rugbygramps »

Particularly liked Pearce with the Italian centre, who did pass his HIA, but Pearce rightly stopped the game.
I wonder if with all the fuss over Thomas Francis officials are to be increasingly vigilant now
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:39 am Particularly liked Pearce with the Italian centre, who did pass his HIA, but Pearce rightly stopped the game.
I wonder if with all the fuss over Thomas Francis officials are to be increasingly vigilant now
I would hope so, as I do remember that during the England Italy game the ref seemed to rush the HIA of Nowell.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

It was a fantastic piece of officiating by Pearce,this is what should've happened with Ford I might add. Its been proved conclusively without a shadow of a doubt that the system/process doesn't work 100%,see Francis and Nowell for reference and that's just recently there are many others,so we should ALWAYS err on the side of caution. Hope this happens now across the board,bravo Luke!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Would add that Dickson is definitely improving. Still letting too many different players talk to him though!
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

fentiger wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:13 am Would add that Dickson is definitely improving. Still letting too many different players talk to him though!
I agree and am happy to state as much - he was consistently awful and now he’s close to consistently competent.

Good for him and the hard work he’s put in.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Ex Gloucester prop Nick Wood running the line at Saints v Wasps today. Will be interesting to watch his progress
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:44 pm Ex Gloucester prop Nick Wood running the line at Saints v Wasps today. Will be interesting to watch his progress
At least he should have some vague idea of the 'sculdugerey' (to quote the dearly departed Bleddyn) that goes on in the front rows at scrum time and at the bottom of rucks etc.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:51 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:44 pm Ex Gloucester prop Nick Wood running the line at Saints v Wasps today. Will be interesting to watch his progress
At least he should have some vague idea of the 'sculdugerey' (to quote the dearly departed Bleddyn) that goes on in the front rows at scrum time and at the bottom of rucks etc.
Absolutely though he looks nothing like a prop now
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:53 pm
longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:51 pm
Absolutely though he looks nothing like a prop now

So was his weight that made him a prop and in fact he started off as a winger 🤔
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Thought I would dust off this thread and doff my cap to Dickson/Rose for tonight’s officiating. Ok so we potentially got the rub of the green on a few decisions but for me tonight was one of Dickson’s best performances and after some pretty calamitous displays by CMK recently and the usual lack of consistency from Carley I reckon he’s going up the pecking order for my money.

I mean, he’s refereed us what, 5 times this season and we’ve won all 5 so what’s not to like hey! All joking aside I really have been impressed by what I’ve seen recently from Dickson. Ok so the red cards last week for the ‘head butt’ were a bit of a joke but aside from that he’s definitely on the up for me.. just thought I’d throw that one out there as he often gets a lots of stick on this forum, often from me and I have to say I’m starting to think differently about him :smt023
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:13 pm Thought I would dust off this thread and doff my cap to Dickson/Rose for tonight’s officiating. Ok so we potentially got the rub of the green on a few decisions but for me tonight was one of Dickson’s best performances and after some pretty calamitous displays by CMK recently and the usual lack of consistency from Carley I reckon he’s going up the pecking order for my money.

I mean, he’s refereed us what, 5 times this season and we’ve won all 5 so what’s not to like hey! All joking aside I really have been impressed by what I’ve seen recently from Dickson. Ok so the red cards last week for the ‘head butt’ were a bit of a joke but aside from that he’s definitely on the up for me.. just thought I’d throw that one out there as he often gets a lots of stick on this forum, often from me and I have to say I’m starting to think differently about him :smt023
I agree, in general it seemed pretty fairly refed, for sure Bristol can be a bit aggrieved at the Ford knock on as it was pretty clear he touched it and it continued away from our try line. Also the Wiese incident before Ashton's third try I thought was going to be called back, I can't remember an explanation as to why it was play on but as you said we did get the rub of the green some what but even without these decisions I think we would have still been comfortable winners on the day.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I think Weisse was on the floor and
The guy was falling already and then sort of fell over weisse as he tried to get up not because Weisse tried to tackle him
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

TMO said, Weise was just standing up, play on
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Old Hob wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:29 am TMO said, Weise was just standing up, play on
Yep. Perfectly officiated for me all round. Dickson saw it but allowed play to continue, try was scored and he asked the TMO to just check there was no foul play, TMO and ref quickly agreed Wiese was just standing up and played fell over the top of him so try was allowed to stand and rightly so. Very good from the officials
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!