Cohen sueing Tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerXV

Re: Cohen sueing Tigers

Post by TigerXV »

sapajo wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:42 pm BBC Radio Leicester reporting this matter has now been settled out of court. No doubt Mr Cohen will be fiscally content.
not necessarily - the club seemed happy to have the case heard in court by going right to the day. Normally if a company is worried about losing they would try to settle far earlier i.e. pay more. I imagine any settlement has a NDA attached so we'll never know - but there will possibly be a figure in the accounts but that might cover more than Cohen.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

TigerXV wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:31 pm
sapajo wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:42 pm BBC Radio Leicester reporting this matter has now been settled out of court. No doubt Mr Cohen will be fiscally content.
not necessarily - the club seemed happy to have the case heard in court by going right to the day. Normally if a company is worried about losing they would try to settle far earlier i.e. pay more. I imagine any settlement has a NDA attached so we'll never know - but there will possibly be a figure in the accounts but that might cover more than Cohen.
If you're Cohen you know that even if you just have the tiniest shred of a case (or even no case at all but can say some things that will be embarrassing) then an organisation like Tigers will be incredibly keen for it not to go to court, where everything is recorded for public viewing.

My guess is that Cohen stuck to his guns and held out for more than Tigers were originally willing to offer, and gave them a little nudge by making sure it was reported in the press a few days before.

There will 100% be an NDA and that will also mean that it cannot be reported in the accounts in a way that will make it identifiable to anyone.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

Tiglon wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:36 pm
If you're Cohen you know that even if you just have the tiniest shred of a case (or even no case at all but can say some things that will be embarrassing) then an organisation like Tigers will be incredibly keen for it not to go to court, where everything is recorded for public viewing.

My guess is that Cohen stuck to his guns and held out for more than Tigers were originally willing to offer, and gave them a little nudge by making sure it was reported in the press a few days before.

There will 100% be an NDA and that will also mean that it cannot be reported in the accounts in a way that will make it identifiable to anyone.
Not really, if it's a material amount it will have to be reported as an exceptional item, now there might be more than one exceptional item to muddy the waters but at present I can't particularly recall one in the current period.

Typically I would say it is the other way round. If you've no real case you might as well hang on, there is no difference withdrawing on the day or 6 months before.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

sk 88 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:15 pm
Tiglon wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:36 pm

Not really, if it's a material amount it will have to be reported as an exceptional item, now there might be more than one exceptional item to muddy the waters but at present I can't particularly recall one in the current period.

Typically I would say it is the other way round. If you've no real case you might as well hang on, there is no difference withdrawing on the day or 6 months before.
Yes it has to be reported, but it can't be reported in a way that makes it clear what it is, otherwise breach of NDA. So, yes, there will be an amount listed in the accounts for exceptional items, but there will be no way to know whether some, all or none of that was paid to Cohen.

I'm not quite sure what you are saying is the other way around?
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

We seem to have had our fair share of adversity over the past couple of years with the player revolt, salary cap investigations and now this. Let’s hope we can just get on with the on pitch stuff now.
A2O
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

ay2oh wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:54 pm We seem to have had our fair share of adversity over the past couple of years with the player revolt, salary cap investigations and now this. Let’s hope we can just get on with the on pitch stuff now.
Intersting how those things all coincided with mismanagement at the top. Got to say I'm not sad that Cohen is gone...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

ay2oh wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:54 pm We seem to have had our fair share of adversity over the past couple of years with the player revolt, salary cap investigations and now this. Let’s hope we can just get on with the on pitch stuff now.
all connected with the person that was suing the club, what a strange coincidence
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

I do feel a little conflicted about this to be honest. Part of my is quite miffed that Tigers have settled on this at all (considering the sorry state of the club under Cohen's watch). However, I also feel that the sooner all of this is done and dusted (including the salary cap investigation) and we can get on without these clouds hanging over the club, the better.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:10 pm I do feel a little conflicted about this to be honest. Part of my is quite miffed that Tigers have settled on this at all (considering the sorry state of the club under Cohen's watch). However, I also feel that the sooner all of this is done and dusted (including the salary cap investigation) and we can get on without these clouds hanging over the club, the better.
+1
Hehehehehehehehe
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Whilst the NDA might restrict what either party may say, the payments will still have to go through the accounts in a manner that is to the satisfaction of the accountants/auditors/Inland Revenue irrespective of the NDA. The NDA does not trump the law.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

mol2 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:33 pm Whilst the NDA might restrict what either party may say, the payments will still have to go through the accounts in a manner that is to the satisfaction of the accountants/auditors/Inland Revenue irrespective of the NDA. The NDA does not trump the law.
It's really very easy to comply with accounting laws and also not disclose anything that would breach the NDA.
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

I too met Simon Cohen at a Fans Forum event one evening pre Covid and yes he did answer part of the question I asked but it was very brief, he shook my hand afterwards and I instantly counted if I still had all my fingers! :smt012
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

AngusMcCoatup wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:34 pm I too met Simon Cohen at a Fans Forum event one evening pre Covid and yes he did answer part of the question I asked but it was very brief, he shook my hand afterwards and I instantly counted if I still had all my fingers! :smt012
:smt044 :smt044
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Anyone else tickled by the irony of the article citing Cohen's salary cap management experience as a plus in the light of this past week?

Tickled but still furious with him and the rest of those involved with the mismanagement of the club at that time...
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere