LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Aled Walters and the Philosopher's Stone

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Aled Walters and the Philosopher's Stone

Post by Rugbygramps »

I totally agree that he deserves a run in one position. Thank you for the work you have done on the positional stats, which as far as I can see backs up my feelings that he has played fullback very little recently in meaningful competitive games, I would prefer him on the wing.

As an aside something that has been quoted by a number of posters is his ability over the ball. What I don’t remember seeing his his stats taking a high ball in traffic, which I would suggest may be more relevant for a 15, and if he is challenging for the high ball he then isn’t going to be looking for the jackal.

Anyway these are all our opinions and as has rightly been out the only one that matters is SB and it will be interesting to see how he uses Murimurivalu moving forward
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Aled Walters and the Philosopher's Stone

Post by Tiglon »

Not sure Murimurivalu's kicking is good enough to start much under Borthwick. He's always going to go for the Hegarty/Burns option at 15 if Steward is unavailable.

In the Premiership this season he's attempted 15 tackles and missed 0. However, he hasn't kicked from hand once. He's also given away 3 penalties in little over 100 minutes, which is a lot for a back.

Hegarty, as a comparison, has a really poor tackling completion rate of 58%, but has kicked 32 times in 500 minutes and still only given away 3 penalties.

I think that shows what SB's priorities are at 15 - kicking and not giving away penalties.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

If youre competing for the ball and getting involved in the tackle area more you are bound to give away more penalties! And missing almost 1/2 tackles is shocking when your FB is at times the last line of defence. And it’s laughable to think a coach might pick a player because he gives away slightly less penalties
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

I’m still (like others) of the opinion there may be an under the radar player or two as yet unannounced. Be that an overseas non Super Rugby punt like Jansen, Porter & Potter, or maybe a developing home nations player like Henderson, Kelly & Chessum, maybe even an older player perhaps less heralded that we feel can add something like Richardson and Saumaki.
Leatigaga, Taute, Socino and maybe even Moroni to leave, plus SAR, Olowofela and Nadolo (maybe).
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Hegarty is probably a more unfussy solid player but Kini is more of an X factor player who is more likely to win you a game through a moment of brilliance.
A2O
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Tiglon wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:18 pm Not sure Murimurivalu's kicking is good enough to start much under Borthwick. He's always going to go for the Hegarty/Burns option at 15 if Steward is unavailable.

In the Premiership this season he's attempted 15 tackles and missed 0. However, he hasn't kicked from hand once. He's also given away 3 penalties in little over 100 minutes, which is a lot for a back.

Hegarty, as a comparison, has a really poor tackling completion rate of 58%, but has kicked 32 times in 500 minutes and still only given away 3 penalties.

I think that shows what SB's priorities are at 15 - kicking and not giving away penalties.
That's a terrible tackle rate, and sadly it's consistent with my impression of his play. I'd hazard a guess that, if he's not involved in a tackle, and he's not getting tackled because he kicks the ball away, it removes a lot of opportunities to concede a penalty. No offences at the breakdown, certainly, if he's not in it!
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Bryce Hegarty - the current squads Jordan Crane, it would seem.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 8:01 am Bryce Hegarty - the current squads Jordan Crane, it would seem.
There is always one and different peoples views are what make it interesting.

There was a time when Lenny was very much marmite on here
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

loretta wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 7:01 am
Tiglon wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:18 pm Not sure Murimurivalu's kicking is good enough to start much under Borthwick. He's always going to go for the Hegarty/Burns option at 15 if Steward is unavailable.

That's a terrible tackle rate, and sadly it's consistent with my impression of his play. I'd hazard a guess that, if he's not involved in a tackle, and he's not getting tackled because he kicks the ball away, it removes a lot of opportunities to concede a penalty. No offences at the breakdown, certainly, if he's not in it!
Which is probably SB's reason for preferring backs who don't get involved in it in the wrong situations or if they don't have a good success rate.

And yes, the fact that kicking the ball away removes a lot of opportunities to concede a penalty is exactly why SB (and many other top coaches) likes the team to kick the ball from their own half rather than trying to do something clever.

You've literally summed up top level game tactics in modern rugby.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Tiglon wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 9:49 am
loretta wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 7:01 am

Which is probably SB's reason for preferring backs who don't get involved in it in the wrong situations or if they don't have a good success rate.

And yes, the fact that kicking the ball away removes a lot of opportunities to concede a penalty is exactly why SB (and many other top coaches) likes the team to kick the ball from their own half rather than trying to do something clever.

You've literally summed up top level game tactics in modern rugby.
Still doesn’t take away the fact that he misses 1/2 tackles.How can the last line of defence not get involved?! “Because you can’t tackle Bryce I don’t want you to get involved in tackling” 😂 Dreadful strike rate for a FB ,how many tries have been conceded due to that? Kini any day of the week,better finisher too.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 1:04 pm https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/sq ... ent-220513

Lancaster confirmed gone, so guessing Ealing will be announcing him soon
More on Lancaster here
https://qld.rugby/news/bullsharks-pick- ... on-2022513
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Tackling at full back is often when faced with two attackers not always one on one, also Hegarty has played some of the time as 10 where tackles are often against bigger heavier players and success can be judged by delaying forward momentum or preventing an offload. Whilst not in anyway criticising Murimurivalu he is a very different player to Hegarty and it is up to Steve Borthwick to assess their relative values to the team. I have seen nothing from Kini that shows in the absence of Ford & Burns he can kick for goal, Hegarty can. Both players have scored tries, Murimurivalu probably the more spectacular but they still only netted 5 points each, I have seen both players make and miss tackles but misses have to be judged by the circumstances at the time. Neither player seems to figure in our first choice first team so should be judged by value on the bench and for me there they are fairly equal but Hegarty's kicking gives him an edge.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Telusa Veaiunu hardly ever kicked,just saying.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Scott1 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 12:29 pm Telusa Veaiunu hardly ever kicked,just saying.
Or towards the end of his time with us tackled.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 12:51 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 12:29 pm Telusa Veaiunu hardly ever kicked,just saying.
Or towards the end of his time with us tackled.
True! Poor under the high ball at times too