LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Aled Walters and the Philosopher's Stone

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Aled Walters and the Philosopher's Stone

Post by ay2oh »

Fullback team 2 for me
A2O
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Aled Walters and the Philosopher's Stone

Post by Scott1 »

ay2oh wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:11 pm Fullback team 2 for me
Same here ,he's a better FB than Hegarty for me
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Scott1 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:20 pm
Well I haven’t seen it in a Tigers shirt and he’s been here nearly 2 seasons now.
But different people look for different things
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:23 pm
Well I haven’t seen it in a Tigers shirt and he’s been here nearly 2 seasons now.
The majority of his career he’s been at FB.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Scott1 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:16 pm

Quite possibly and it’s too late for one of your debates but that was prior to his time at tigers which tbh is all,I’m bothered about.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:18 pm

Quite possibly and it’s too late for one of your debates but that was prior to his time at tigers which tbh is all,I’m bothered about.
Not quite possibly,he definitely has. He has played 11 more for us than 15 I believe. I could be wrong but I think Burns might have even played more at FB. And to not go off a players whole body of work is crazy!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Scott1 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:23 pm

Not quite possibly,he definitely has. He has played 11 more for us than 15 I believe. I could be wrong but I think Burns might have even played more at FB. And to not go off a players whole body of work is crazy!
It’s not when it isn’t recent I.e within the last season.
As I originally said you prefer him at 15 over Hegarty, who played quite a few games at 15 for the reds, I prefer Hegarty, it would appear certainly from this past season that Borthwick is of the same opinion. That isn’t to say I wouldn’t like to see him given a run on the wing because I would.
Like I say it’s a difference in opinion, it is possible for 2 people to have those, doesn’t always have to be right and wrong
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:29 pm
As I originally said you prefer him at 15 over Hegarty, who played quite a few games at 15 for the reds, I prefer Hegarty, it would appear certainly from this past season that Borthwick is of the same opinion. That isn’t to say I wouldn’t like to see him given a run on the wing because I would.
Like I say it’s a difference in opinion, it is possible for 2 people to have those, doesn’t always have to be right and wrong
Not gonna read because it’s too late for a debate 😉
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Scott1 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:35 pm
Funny how often you do that sort of thing isn’t it
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:36 pm
Scott1 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:35 pm

Funny how often you do that sort of thing isn’t it
You words not mine 👍
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

As you rightly say everyone is entitled to their own opinion and clearly there is only one that ultimately matters and that's SB.. for my tuppence worth I like Kini at fullback and would like to see more of him there. He is solid defensively and great over the ball. yes he has played just about every position from back row to wing/full back but I would like to see him given a run at 15 in Steward's absence.

Just in case you are interested in the stats:

Occupied positions by Kini on start team (career) :
Fullback : 109 times ( Fullback 71% )
Winger : 30 times ( Left Wing 14%, Right Wing 6% )
Center : 15 times ( Inside Centre 6%, Outside Centre 4% )

This season for Tigers - 13 matches (7 starts and 6 bench) Of the 7 starts he played 11 twice, 13 twice and 15 3 times. His wing appearances were in Europe and in the Premiership whereas the others were in the PRC.

Last season for Tigers he was definitely preferred on the wing. 19/20 season for La Rochelle and Fiji he was split 50/50 between the wing and fullback. 18/19 season was nearly all played at Fullback for La Rochelle (13 starts all at fullback).

I would suggest it would be extremely useful to allow Kini a run of matches with position continuity. Whether it be at fullback or on the wing but it would be great for him not to be switching from back row to centre to wing to fullback. He is a versatile player who takes it in his stride and is a true professional but having rewarded his loyalty with a new contract I hope we do see him given the 15 shirt in Stewards absence.

First Choice:
9. Youngs
10. Pollard
11. Potter
12. Kelly
13. Moroni/Scott
14. Watson
15. Steward

21. JvP
22. Burns
23. Porter

Autumn Internationals:
9. JvP
10. Burns
11. Potter
12. Gopperth/Cokanasiga
13. Scott
14. Ashton
15. Murimurivalu

21. Wigglesworth
22. Hegarty/Gopperth
23. Porter

Six Nations:
9. JvP
10. Pollard
11. Potter
12. Gopperth/Cokanasiga
13. Moroni
14. Ashton
15. Murimurivalu

21. Wigglesworth
22. Hegarty/Gopperth
23. Porter

That would be my thinking.. for what it's worth.. just my opinion of course *other opinions are available
Last edited by OakhamTiger32 on Fri May 13, 2022 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:50 pm
As you rightly say everyone is entitled to their own opinion and clearly there is only one that ultimately matters and that's SB.. for my tuppence worth I like Kini at fullback and would like to see more of him there. He is solid defensively and great over the ball. yes he has played just about every position from back row to wing/full back but I would like to see him given a run at 15 in Steward's absence.

Just in case you are interested in the stats:

Occupied positions by Kini on start team (career) :
Fullback : 109 times ( Fullback 71% )
Winger : 30 times ( Left Wing 14%, Right Wing 6% )
Center : 15 times ( Inside Centre 6%, Outside Centre 4% )

This season for Tigers - 13 matches (7 starts and 6 bench) Of the 7 starts he played 11 twice, 13 twice and 15 3 times. His wing appearances were in Europe and in the Premiership whereas the others were in the PRC.

Last season for Tigers he was definitely preferred on the wing. 19/20 season for La Rochelle and Fiji he was split 50/50 between the wing and fullback. 18/19 season was nearly all played at Fullback for La Rochelle (13 starts all at fullback).

I would suggest it would be extremely useful to allow Kini a run of matches with position continuity. Whether it be at fullback or on the wing but it would be great for him not to be switching from back row to centre to wing to fullback. He is a versatile player who takes it in his stride and is a true professional but having rewarded his loyalty with a new contract I hope we do see him given the 15 shirt in Stewards absence.

First Choice:
9. Youngs
10. Pollard
11. Potter
12. Kelly
13. Moroni/Scott
14. Watson
15. Steward

21. JvP
22. Burns
23. Porter

Autumn Internationals:
9. JvP
10. Burns
11. Potter
12. Gopperth/Cokanasiga
13. Scott/Porter
14. Ashton
15. Murimurivalu

21. Wigglesworth
22. Hegarty/Gopperth
23. Murimurivalu

Six Nations:
9. JvP
10. Pollard
11. Potter
12. Gopperth/Cokanasiga
13. Moroni/Porter
14. Ashton
15. Murimurivalu

21. Wigglesworth
22. Hegarty/Gopperth
23. Murimurivalu

That would be my thinking.. for what it's worth.. just my opinion of course *other opinions are available
Kini is good, but not sure about him at 15 and 23 in the same team...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:52 pm
Apologies was meant to be Porter at 23 :smt023
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:55 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:52 pm
Apologies was meant to be Porter at 23 :smt023
I feel the same about Kini whereas I’m comfortable with Porter playing wherever he’s needed,he can play anywhere and doesn’t seem to have a drop off in performance. Arguably our most important back in that sense,gold dust! Top player and outstanding recruitment!
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Kini for me a bench player. He covers too many positions to be tied down to one now. I'd probably start with Hegarty in the second team with Kini on the bench.
But I'd probably rather have Kini on the bench for the first team rather than Hegarty....