LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Aled Walters and the Philosopher's Stone

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Aled Walters and the Philosopher's Stone

Post by tigerburnie »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 6:32 pm So I think this is a summary of all who have been announced today

Joe Browning
Jacob Cusick
Sam Edwards
Emeka Ilione
Tom Manz
Archie Vanes

Chris Ashton
Sean Jansen
Kini Murimurivalu
Harry Simmons
Richard Wigglesworth

Phil Cokanasiga
Olly Cracknell
James Cronin
Jimmy Gopperth
Anthony Watson

What a group!
Add Pollard to that group and we do look well set.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Aled Walters and the Philosopher's Stone

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

tigerburnie wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:26 pm Just kinda worrying who is leaving, we know Ellis, George and Nadolo are away, any others confirmed or are they just rumours.
I guess there are question marks over Moroni and Taute, maybe Leatigaga
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

also remember that Brink and Van Wyk would've counted in this seasons cap.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:28 pm
tigerburnie wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:26 pm Just kinda worrying who is leaving, we know Ellis, George and Nadolo are away, any others confirmed or are they just rumours.
I guess there are question marks over Moroni and Taute, maybe Leatigaga
Well so far;

Genge - Cronin
Brink - Cracknell
Ford - Pollard
Socino - Gopperth
Taute - P Cockanasiga
van Wyk - Watson
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Looking at who’s been announced, and who we know is leaving/already left we’ve got something like

Pollard for Ford
Cronin for Genge
Jansen for Brink
Watson for Nadolo
Cocanasinga for Van Wyk
Gopperth for Socino and Taute

Leaves Cracknell which allows Chessum and possibly Martin to move up to the row.
Other than Leatigaga, who imo is covered by existing resources, I can’t really see any more front line leavers.

Sorry Sam I took so long postings
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Have seen a fair few tweets asking for confirmation of Moroni & Montoya extensions.

Moroni I get, he's confirmed that his contract expires this season, and his name not being seen today is an indication in my mind that he's likely off (coupled with something I have heard from a source). However nothing is certain and there's still a chance till something else is announced for him.

Montoya though, I'd be shocked if he was to be leaving for a few reasons:
1. When he signed last year it was announced as a multiyear deal
2. Why would we let our best player leave
3. We've lost one key hooker (who was always planned to retire this year) we'd not want to lose two
4. Absolutely no sounds of any Hooker signings coming in, certainly none of the Montoya level!
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:41 pm Have seen a fair few tweets asking for confirmation of Moroni & Montoya extensions.

Moroni I get, he's confirmed that his contract expires this season, and his name not being seen today is an indication in my mind that he's likely off (coupled with something I have heard from a source). However nothing is certain and there's still a chance till something else is announced for him.

3. We've lost one key hooker (who was always planned to retire this year) we'd not want to lose two
4. Absolutely no sounds of any Hooker signings coming in, certainly none of the Montoya level!
I thought there had been reports recently that Moroni was keen on signing a new deal.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Montoya is in contract any talk about extensions is just tigers playing ahead and trying to nail him down for longer
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:45 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:41 pm Have seen a fair few tweets asking for confirmation of Moroni & Montoya extensions.

I thought there had been reports recently that Moroni was keen on signing a new deal.
Rolling Maul pod said they had heard he was close to signing.

The rumour that I heard is he's not signing with us.

Obviously one is going to be wrong and single sources are somewhat unreliable, but after today I'm thinking it more likely he's going than staying (probably 60:40)
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:45 pm

Moroni might well be keen on signing a new deal but the value of that contract might not be in line with what Tigers want or can fit under the cap.
Crumbiestalker

Post by Crumbiestalker »

I kind of wish we could have been told about the leavers first, then followed by a popcorn day. With rumours about Montoya, Moroni etc. flying round my popcorn isn’t tasting as good as it did earlier!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I think people need to understand the Montoya rumours first lol

There is no rumour to suggest he is going next season.
The rumour is only that Tigers have started talks about nailing him down to a long contract.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Crumbiestalker wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:03 pm I kind of wish we could have been told about the leavers first, then followed by a popcorn day. With rumours about Montoya, Moroni etc. flying round my popcorn isn’t tasting as good as it did earlier!
I am not expecting to hear anything regarding Montoya. He is in contract so short of extending his stay even further there is no immediate requirement to enter into contract negotiations just now.

Moroni may well be leaving but has expressed a desire to stay. What the cap allows we will have to wait and see but I’d be surprised to see him leave if truth be told.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RagingBull wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:47 pm I think people need to understand the Montoya rumours first lol

There is no rumour to suggest he is going next season.
The rumour is only that Tigers have started talks about nailing him down to a long contract.
Which is exactly what you'd expect the club to be doing if they had the best player in the world for that position.

I know we've got him next year and I'm glad to hear we're in talks to keep him long term, he could be a long lasting Tigers hero if he stays for a number of years, him giving OTY his shirt from the Bristol game just makes me want to keep him more.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Crumbiestalker wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:03 pm I kind of wish we could have been told about the leavers first, then followed by a popcorn day. With rumours about Montoya, Moroni etc. flying round my popcorn isn’t tasting as good as it did earlier!
Actually I quite like it done this way round.

1. Gives some mystery to the re-signings, you can infer them if you have the leavers list.

2. Montoya is staying next year, just people on Twitter being people on Twitter.

3. Player's are always going to leave, but we know that there are still announcements to be made so we may yet keep him. Even were Moroni to leave I'm happy to say today has been a sucess and we are in a good place for next year