LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Aled Walters and the Philosopher's Stone

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Aled Walters and the Philosopher's Stone

Post by Rugbygramps »

RagingBull wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 4:00 pm Cronin next
Excellent signing you’ll never replace Genge like for like, but high quality player available for the whole season
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Aled Walters and the Philosopher's Stone

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 3:42 pm I do agree about Ashton but how many of us were going on his public persona rather than the individual known by Borthwick an WW. The interview he did with Big Jim Hamilton really changed my mind, and he is obviously popular with his teammates.

Be nice to see the Ash Splash one more time on the scoring of that 100th premiership try
Wise words Gramps. I agree entirely. Very good interview
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 3:54 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 3:48 pm Keeping WW on the playing books is a strange with the cap reducing, it does tie up a fair amount I would guess for a bloke who really shouldn't be anywhere near the first XV, same with Gopperth in many ways.

My guess with Browning is the hope that either he goes off with the 7's & it makes him or breaks him, personally I prefer taking a punt on an ex Academy player, the club know them better. The Academy resignings are the most important, some genuine potential there.

Jansen has grasped the chance he got, should allow Chessum to focus on 2nd row.
Doubt it’s costing any more having Wigglesworth on as a player coach rather than just a coach, still comes out the same pot and he is playing pretty well for someone who shouldn’t be near the first team. As for Gopperth anyone that saw him play at the weekend will know he still has plenty to offer
I think all of WW wage has to come out of the cap if he is registered as a player, doubt he is on peanuts, just seems a waste of a smaller cap.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Suspect we may see Taute, Socino leave
A2O
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 4:05 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 3:48 pm Keeping WW on the playing books is a strange with the cap reducing, it does tie up a fair amount I would guess for a bloke who really shouldn't be anywhere near the first XV, same with Gopperth in many ways.

My guess with Browning is the hope that either he goes off with the 7's & it makes him or breaks him, personally I prefer taking a punt on an ex Academy player, the club know them better. The Academy resignings are the most important, some genuine potential there.

Doubt it’s costing any more having Wigglesworth on as a player coach rather than just a coach, still comes out the same pot and he is playing pretty well for someone who shouldn’t be near the first team. As for Gopperth anyone that saw him play at the weekend will know he still has plenty to offer
I think all of WW wage has to come out of the cap if he is registered as a player, doubt he is on peanuts, just seems a waste of a smaller cap.
My apologies I wasn’t clear, I thought that both players and coaches salaries come out of the cap, so doesn’t make a difference. Again apologies if this is incorrect
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 4:01 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 3:47 pm
Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 3:45 pm This is a Thursday treat to beat Papa John’s 2 for Tuesday…Cracknell next, then Cronin, then Goperth….fair play to the club to not advertise this as it’s a nice surprise.
Ah but does it beat Pizza Hut large stuff crust and a side for £18
I think it does..only because of volume… but the side is a good selling point..
Stuffed crust is the usp
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Trust Borthwick so if he thinks Wigglesworth and Goppeth are worth their places in the squad so be it.
A2O
TigerXV

Post by TigerXV »

I thin you are correct re cap for WW but as long as next season we see JVP moving up to starting/on bench with BY or Starting over WW when BY away for England I'm ok as I think Sam Edwards is still a work in progress (looks v promising though). I think Johnny Law will probably be released and Simmons will move to FB/Wing full time
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Next Cracknell

People reckon Gopperth @ 5:00 and Watson @5:30
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

RagingBull wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 4:30 pm Next Cracknell

Would make sense. Can’t see much after that unless there is a big surprise no one has mentioned coming through.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 4:34 pm
RagingBull wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 4:30 pm Next Cracknell

Would make sense. Can’t see much after that unless there is a big surprise no one has mentioned coming through.
I feel any surprises would be pushed to another day.
Will be interesting if the Italian U20 is announced.
GETHIN EXILE

Post by GETHIN EXILE »

Could it be that WW is on a coach's salary and a fee per appearance ? If that is the case then surely the amount to be counted under the cap would be minimal?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerXV wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 4:15 pm
I thin you are correct re cap for WW but as long as next season we see JVP moving up to starting/on bench with BY or Starting over WW when BY away for England I'm ok as I think Sam Edwards is still a work in progress (looks v promising though). I think Johnny Law will probably be released and Simmons will move to FB/Wing full time
Trying to look at it logically we are one bad injury, to either JVP or Lenny, away from looking very bare experience wise at 9. Next season will give the chance to blood some of the youngsters more. Not so sure about Simmons, there must be a chance that Lenny will call it a day at the end of next season
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

GETHIN EXILE wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 4:38 pm Could it be that WW is on a coach's salary and a fee per appearance ? If that is the case then surely the amount to be counted under the cap would be minimal?
If a coach is also a player then the whole of their salary is included in the salary cap - that was the case previously and I would not have expected any changes.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Tigerbeat wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 4:39 pm
GETHIN EXILE wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 4:38 pm Could it be that WW is on a coach's salary and a fee per appearance ? If that is the case then surely the amount to be counted under the cap would be minimal?
If a coach is also a player then the whole of their salary is included in the salary cap - that was the case previously and I would not have expected any changes.
Thanks for the clarification Tigerbeat