LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Aled Walters and the Philosopher's Stone

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Aled Walters and the Philosopher's Stone

Post by fortysix »

We need a top TH and LH otherwise our pack will be back amongst the also rans.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Aled Walters and the Philosopher's Stone

Post by Old Hob »

I though Wigglesworth was definitely moving full time into coaching at the end of this season?
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

fortysix wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 4:30 pm We need a top TH and LH otherwise our pack will be back amongst the also rans.
Cole, Heyes,Hurd? Cronin coming in too. Richardson can play both sides as well
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Old Hob wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 4:46 pm I though Wigglesworth was definitely moving full time into coaching at the end of this season?
Nope last I heard he hadn't decided, but hoped to maybe play next year.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Ta.!
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

fortysix wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 4:30 pm We need a top TH and LH otherwise our pack will be back amongst the also rans.
Top Tighthead? We have Cole and Heyes one is considered on of the best scrumaging tight heads in europe the other IMO the most promising TH in England.
We don't have space for another top Tighthead.

Cronin, Whitcombe
Cole, Heyes
In terms of Pound per value should be one of the best around.

I certainly feel we need one more of each but realistically it can't be top.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 5:47 pm
Top Tighthead? We have Cole and Heyes one is considered on of the best scrumaging tight heads in europe the other IMO the most promising TH in England.

Cronin, Whitcombe
Cole, Heyes

If we're losing Leatigaga a new tighthead will be a must. Eight senior props should cover it as only Heyes is likely to be called up.

Cronin, Whitcombe, van Wyk, Richardson
Cole, Heyes, ?, Hurd

Hoyt seems highly rated but anything above PRC is going to be to big an ask currently.

Richardson being able to switch sides certainly makes him a handy squad man.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RagingBull wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 5:47 pm

Cronin, Whitcombe
Cole, Heyes

Agree for me Tighthead is the bigger priority
TH: 3rd and 4th choice
Hurd
Richardson

When we are going to lose at least on for internationals looks light.

LH: 3rd and 4th choice
Richardson
Van Wyk

Whilst similar in terms of strength to the TH side, the fact that Cronin won't be in the international squad and Whitcombe is probably unlikely to be for another season means that the depth there is less of a concern IMO.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Based on the cup games I saw this season, I rate Hurd, and think we should be looking to him more seriously.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Lady Gaga and Van Wyk are not starting props, better to have some filthy nasty Georgian/ South African who can become our next cult hero..
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Have I ever mentioned De Bruin?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Scott1 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:06 pm Have I ever mentioned De Bruin?
High quality player but we want a squad level tighthead not a player just short of international level, especially one we'd have to buy out of two years worth of contract at Edinburgh.
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

I think as others have mentioned, i'm sure there will be a couple of signings announced that have managed to sneak under the radar and are surprise ones. Also think we will see some signings during the pre-season and summer. Think with the cap reduction, there will be more players without contracts floating around which will allow us to do some deals with them potentially.

On the George Martin topic, i know a few have said they would like to see him at lock. The club have identified him as a full-time 6, so he will be spending vast majority of his time playing there. Henderson will be a lock that covers 6 - Cam also called our line-outs a few times last season so he is used to doing that.

Think the squad is gearing up well for next season - i think the Prem Cup this season has been a massive help for us, as we have identified a fair few players that can be utilised as 3rd/4th choice players next season, which will be handy during the 6 Nations. Vanes, Hurd, Agbonbon, Illione to name but a few. Jansen looks a possible superstar, i think we really do need to keep him for a while to let him develop with us.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Another gross exaggeration after 1 loss to one of Europe’s top 2 teams.
A2O
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

ay2oh wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:39 pm
Another gross exaggeration after 1 loss to one of Europe’s top 2 teams.
And be realistic. Props are expensive. The cap has come down, remember?