LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Aled Walters and the Philosopher's Stone

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Aled Walters and the Philosopher's Stone

Post by ads »

MCC1964 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:07 am
No6_Flanker wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 11:09 pm
MCC1964 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:31 pm I would not be surprised to see JvP as the starting 9 next season.
What makes you say this?
Because I think he’s good enough to and with Ben likely away a lot with England and/or being rested, then now is the time. Plus maybe a chance to bring a new guy through as well to get some experience as Wiggy will be playing less and less.
IMO JVP should be sharing duties with BY as dual first choice 9's. Wigg should be taking a back seat and filling in when needed due to injuries or internationals.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Aled Walters and the Philosopher's Stone

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:48 am We need one of the second rows to call the line-out. I know Green does this when he's in the starting XV - not sure if Chessum or Martin have taken on that responsibility in a match before?
Henderson definitely has. Think Chessum has too, think the PRC when Chessum was partnered with Scott Hall from Nottingham, I think Chessum did the calling.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 10:54 am
CrumblingTerrace wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:48 am We need one of the second rows to call the line-out. I know Green does this when he's in the starting XV - not sure if Chessum or Martin have taken on that responsibility in a match before?
Henderson definitely has. Think Chessum has too, think the PRC when Chessum was partnered with Scott Hall from Nottingham, I think Chessum did the calling.
Could be wrong - pretty sure Chessum and Henderson have been calling lineouts and have experience in this. I thought Martin had done it too in the past and something they can all work on.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Martin has been a primary lineout jumper multiple times including v Bordeaux away
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

RagingBull wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:36 am Martin has been a primary lineout jumper multiple times including v Bordeaux away
If Henderson comes back at the level he was pre injury then would there be another team with 3 young locks of the quality of Chessum, Martin & Henderson?

Hopefully one or two will develop into a pushing machine at scrum time too so we don’t lose grunt in the scrum but those 3 are monsters in the loose
frenchtiger123

Post by frenchtiger123 »

On 'Le French Rugby Podcast' Johnnie Beattie confirmed that Cronin has signed for us. The same episode also has an interview with Zack Henry
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

frenchtiger123 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 1:07 pm On 'Le French Rugby Podcast' Johnnie Beattie confirmed that Cronin has signed for us. The same episode also has an interview with Zack Henry
Good stuff, the club socials have been very quiet so far today, outside of a happy birthday tweet to Dan Cole, not seen anything. To me that suggests that a lot of them are busy sorting stuff out.

That said, doubt we'll get much today, possibly a leavers list, maybe academy promotions to the development squad (senior academy), but doubt that. It may well be tomorrow or later in the week it all kicks off, given there's no weekend match to focus on.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

The last popcorn day was on a Tuesday :smt004
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Taking crude but fairly reliable estimation that we'll roughly need two 23s for the season I'd say recruitment is looking good.

Pollard, Watson, Cronin, Cokanasiga, Gopperth and Cracknell are all players I rate and who I think fit necessary spots in the squad. Seeing rounds pegs in round holes feels good after some of the dodgy recruitment a few years ago.

1.Cronin 2.Montoya 3.Cole 4.Martin 5.Chessum 6.Liebenberg 7.van Staden 8.Wiese
9.Youngs 10.Pollard 11.Nadolo/Watson 12.Kelly 13.Moroni 14.Potter 15.Steward

16.Dolly 17.Whitcombe 18.Heyes 19.Wells 20.Reffell 21.JvP 22.Burns 23.Porter

1.??? 2.Clare 3.Hurd 4.Snyman 5.Green 6.Cracknell 7.Ilione 8.Jansen
9.Wigglesworth 10.Gopperth 11.Saumaki 12.Cokanasiga 13.Scott 14.Ashton 15.Hegarty

16.Vanes 17.Richardson 18.Hoyt 19.Henderson 20.Agbongbon 21.Edwards 22.Lancaster/Walsh 23.Cuisick

Even with Cronin sounding good as done LH depth remains a question mark. Will we see Nephi and/or van Wyk move on? If so who will the replacement be?

If Olly Robinson isn't staying we might see a back row signing perhaps?

I still think Dave Williams from Nottingham could be a good signing for the back three depth. Fly-half, centre and scrum-half (presuming WW does another season) look very well set though. I'm very happy with how the backs are shaping up there.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I wouldn't be surprised if we have made a couple signings no one knows about
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

RagingBull wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 3:31 pm I wouldn't be surprised if we have made a couple signings no one knows about
Saumaki was one of those. A good one at that.

I'd expect a couple as you say. LH and back row seem the potential spots for them looking at the squad for next season.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Saumaki, Snyman, Hegarty, Socino all had zero leaks before announcement.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

The waiting will soon be over. :smt002
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

I thought Socino was briefly rumoured before hand?

Any positions you'd expect a not rumoured signing in RB?
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

RagingBull wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 3:31 pm I wouldn't be surprised if we have made a couple signings no one knows about
Yep yep yep - thinking 2 others. One being a LH.