LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Aled Walters and the Philosopher's Stone

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Aled Walters and the Philosopher's Stone

Post by Scott1 »

sam16111986 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 5:03 pm
Scott1 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 3:16 pm In a game where defence is king you will always need a bit of Nadolo/Big Joe carrying. Why do you think Manu sans injuries was so important?! 🤦
Tigers always look better with a big winger be it a Tuilagi, Tuquiri, Thompstone, Nadolo etc. Offers a nice difference in threat and coming off the wing into the line often makes it harder for the opposition to track. Even when they know Nadolo is coming it takes at least two to bring him down and he still isn't knocked back. Makes it a scramble for the opposition defence.

Nadolo, Murimurivalu and Saumaki have been good for us. I'd try and keep as many as we can and then look to reunite the Cockanasiga brothers as soon as possible (financially viably obviously).
+1
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Aled Walters and the Philosopher's Stone

Post by RagingBull »

Thompstone a big winger?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

RagingBull wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 5:12 pm Thompstone a big winger?
That's a great question! Certainly powerful,I remember him melting Paul Hill in the tackle the once who was running at him full pelt. Good carrier too so yes I suppose you could class him as a big winger
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

sam16111986 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 5:03 pm
Scott1 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 3:16 pm In a game where defence is king you will always need a bit of Nadolo/Big Joe carrying. Why do you think Manu sans injuries was so important?! 🤦
Tigers always look better with a big winger be it a Tuilagi, Tuquiri, Thompstone, Nadolo etc. Offers a nice difference in threat and coming off the wing into the line often makes it harder for the opposition to track. Even when they know Nadolo is coming it takes at least two to bring him down and he still isn't knocked back. Makes it a scramble for the opposition defence.

Nadolo, Murimurivalu and Saumaki have been good for us. I'd try and keep as many as we can and then look to reunite the Cockanasiga brothers as soon as possible (financially viably obviously).
Would like to keep all three but my guess is Saumaki and possibly Muri. Think Nemsi will be off unfortunately .
A2O
Faulks04
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Faulks04 »

All talking like big joe is a done deal . For all we know Watson isn’t even a done deal
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Faulks04 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 5:16 pm All talking like big joe is a done deal . For all we know Watson isn’t even a done deal
Not for me,just thinking out loud on the possibility
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Faulks04 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 5:16 pm All talking like big joe is a done deal . For all we know Watson isn’t even a done deal
The Watson rumour has been spoken about in so many sources including the Times and the Telegraph would be surprised if it’s not done.
A2O
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

I thought the Big Joe rumour was for the end of next season? :smt017
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

fentiger wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 5:26 pm I thought the Big Joe rumour was for the end of next season? :smt017
It is ,don't know why its being jumped on. Good chance it doesn't even happen tbf
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Only because his brother is reputed to be coming here plus has only signed a one year deal at Bath.
A2O
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Scott1 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 3:13 pm
Dokie wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 3:10 pm
Scott1 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 1:07 pm Speechless at those who dont rate Big Joe. Imagine him with Aled,Borths and Sir Kev behind him. He's exactly what we need if we are losing Nadolo. I'd take him over Watson, certainly for what we need at present. In different circumstances there would be an argument for Watson of course.
And there we rest our case Scott 😂
We have obviously done our due diligence on Watson, and his injuries were worse than Big Joe's. So if we are not taking a risk on Watson and we signed Big Joe then you would have to assume we have done our due diligence on him too. I rest my case Dokie 😉
Is the we, you and your agent?

Really though, a fit Watson walks into the England team, a fit Joe at the moment doesn’t even make the top 10 English wings. He’s 4th choice at best at Bath with everyone available.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

The big Joe rumours was one I thought was more just the fact that his brother is coming to us and he's out of contract next year rather than any strong links?
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Dokie wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 5:43 pm
Scott1 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 3:13 pm
Dokie wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 3:10 pm
And there we rest our case Scott 😂
We have obviously done our due diligence on Watson, and his injuries were worse than Big Joe's. So if we are not taking a risk on Watson and we signed Big Joe then you would have to assume we have done our due diligence on him too. I rest my case Dokie 😉
Is the we, you and your agent?

Really though, a fit Watson walks into the England team, a fit Joe at the moment doesn’t even make the top 10 English wings. He’s 4th choice at best at Bath with everyone available.
I just belive a fully fit and firing Joe is what we need more than a Watson. Especially as seeing Watson and Steward will be away together with England
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

fentiger wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 5:26 pm I thought the Big Joe rumour was for the end of next season? :smt017
That's right. His younger brother Phil is rumoured to have signed this summer and Joe is out of contract next summer.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Tbh I havnt seen much of Phil,what’s he like?